Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Who here uses resizing dies?

My Dad wants to make his squirrel hunting better by taking his round nose ammo and making them hollow points.

Which resizing system to you guys use?

I read this article

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=5338

and

https://www.portercalls.com/neal_waltz_die.htm

and am leaning towards the Waltz die.

Don't know if you can still get the Paco die (some said he passed away).

I have a lee press that I could use for the Waltz unit.

I keep telling him it's not worth it and to buy HP match ammo .... one can never have too much ammo

But he wants me to look into it.

What do you guys prefer?
Old 08-10-2019, 07:08 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Imo if he doesnt like the factory hp just modify it bigger with a small machine shop 'center drill'. Way cheaper and easy to do with a little hand held chuck. Think I saw an inexpensive set at Harbor Freight.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Imo if he doesnt like the factory hp just modify it bigger with a small machine shop 'center drill'. Way cheaper and easy to do with a little hand held chuck. Think I saw an inexpensive set at Harbor Freight.
He has round nose ammo (bulk) that he wants to work on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 11:13 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I love my Neal Waltz hollow pointer. I used to expand the HP using a drill bit but it is tedious, not as accurate and reduces the weight. The HP die does not remove any lead and can be used on ammo that does not already have a HP.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Waltz die.
It's well made and functions as advertised.
I haven't seen a discernible increase in accuracy using CCI SV, or SK standard plus but the big hollow point performs quite well.
Neal suggests trying the die with Wolf Match Extra for accuracy.
I bought a brick of the ME but haven't had a chance to do any comparison testing yet.
I don't regret my purchase and would buy again. The die is a quality piece kit.
The only down side is lubricant build up, in the die, when used with the wax type lubricant on the CCI SV. I don't notice the build up when using the liquid lubricated SK ammo. I haven't tried it on any copper washed bullets.
I looked at the Paco Kelly set up as well, but playing Whack-a-Mole with live ammo, seems counter intuitive to me, although everything I've read says it's not an issue.
Several folks have posted that Neal has stopped making the die but a friend on mine got one from him a few months ago.

Last edited by Srb08; 08-12-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:29 AM
Donnie Powell
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Waltz Die and would highly recommend it. I make hollow points out of Eley solid ammo. I have done a lot of testing and it did improve accuracy also. But not by much.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May also want to try making small game bullets rather than hollow points . Cutting a meplat on the end removing the nose radius increases the effect on tissue without destroying the target animal . I made a collet out of 3/4 inch round stock and a chamber sized drill . Once cut to length for the desired sized flat you can file them or cut them . I took a stone and ground the blades of a pair of small end nips to a fine edge and they make very fast work of cutting the solid nose rounds without the need for dressing them . I have had no problems of feed or function of the rounds in any rifles I have tried them in . My Ruger mark pistols will balk at times if the round is missing the entire nose radius . A collet of .900 OAL seems to work with most 40 grain round lead bullets removing about 4 to 4.5 Gr. depending on factory shape . This length leaves a nominal .130 + - .010 flat on most factory shapes . Point of impact was not effected much at all . One distinct effect is that your sighter targets will have very well cut round holes as with true wad cutters . The rounds do very well on rabbits and I am sure would work for squirrels as well .Good luck with with the method you elect to use .

Last edited by wjritchie; 08-11-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 AM
SaltH2Odeprived

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love the Waltz die.
Here is two examples of modified bullets.
A high velocity hollow point, ran thru the die twice, first pass flattened the point, second pass created a massive hollow point.
A subsonic segmented hollow point lightly kissed to open segments to assure segmentation on small bodied critters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.JPG (99.3 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.JPG (89.1 KB, 339 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:26 AM
SaltH2Odeprived

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neil Waltz is this easy.
https://youtu.be/zHH3RURGRdQ
Old 08-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Fiddleharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Paco Tool many years ago and went through a period of intense experimentation with it.
I discovered that creating hollowpoint bullets for CCI Long CB's and Quiets is a waste of time. There's not enough power behind them to make them expand.
It also seemed that my groups didn't shrink much with resized bulk ammo.
So, nowadays (or should I say nights) the only "Pacoized" ammo I use is CCI Short HP's loaded in my nocturnal-nuisance armadillo and raccoon rifle kept loaded behind my bedroom door. The extra-large hollowpoint shorts kills 'em dead without creating an exit wound, making much noise, or endangering the neighborhood with ricochets.
Would non-altered HP shorts be just as effective? I don't know.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:45 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Some years back a friend gifted me a Paco Kelly actual bullet resizer, distinct from this thread's inquiry of a hollow pointing tool.
My trials with it on several varieties of then available bulk ammo, sorted first visually for gross defects, second by the bullets tightness in the case neck and the best of those run through the sizer did show rounder, tighter groups at 50yd benched. I was able to use those to good effect at our out to 100yd 'local matches', such as they were. I have since not had as much trigger time as caring for my aging/failing folks took over much of my available time. Now that they are gone Ive been able to shoot more this year.
Imo it still a viable process that I should be using, it might pull in some of those poor outliers from my primary groups.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:09 AM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Going to email waltz tomorrow and see if he still makes/sells them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 AM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just to piggy back on what Srb08 said, lube build-up is an issue with solid wax bullets. With CCI SV, I do 1 box and clean, Aguila SV 2 boxs and clean. With Geco liquid lube bullets i do a brick at a time then clean even though it don need it. resetting up the die is easy, just keep one bullet back and use it to set the depth. Cleaning the die is easy. Just remove the spindle and clean it. Then run a q-tip through the bottom of the main body of the die. No need to remove it from the press. To set it up again, just take a already hp'ed/resized round and put it on the shell holder. Run the ram arm up all the way. Then screw spindle down until it touches. Finally set the lock nut. With lead bullets the results are amazing. With some copper coated bullets there is no amount of hollow point that will cause them to expand at SV velocities. Hi velocity is a different story
Old 08-13-2019, 12:16 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I resized these to use in another thread so I figured might as well share them here as well.
Geco rifle with 4 complete turns on the Neil Waltz die. recovered from a 5 gallon bucket of water.
IMG_2661.JPG
American eagle suppressor ready, same hp, recovered from 5 gallon bucket of water.
IMG_E2646.JPG
Side view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E2645.JPG (368.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Litetrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Neal Waltz !!!!!!!!!!!