Magpul hunter question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:03 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magpul hunter question

My magpul arrived today. Going to try a 16.5 stainless fluted Kidd in it. Already impressed with the apparent stiffness of it just from the initial inspection. It has a barrel support that will be installed about 3/4 the way toward the muzzle and I guess will be support but will also have to act as a pressure point. Are there any opinions about this support as far as affecting accuracy? I have already experimented with some pressure points with this barrel in a sporter stock and it didn't like them at all. I am all for it if it works but I am a bit concerned. Anyone have any advice to offer? I have always wanted to try one of these and this is my first one. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
IME your better off without the barrel support installed if your using a BB. Another thing I've found is that the Magpul stocks seem to benefit quite a bit by bedding them to stiffen them up.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mine are both free floated. Neither of mine are bedded and they shoot outstanding. Both have Kidd barrels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 06:38 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the information. I will put it together and see. The stock seems to be stiffer than what I expected.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Thanks for the information. I will put it together and see. The stock seems to be stiffer than what I expected.
It's not so much the stiffness of the stock that is the problem. It's the area around the receiver. Most of the receivers I've tried in the Magpul stock have a little bit of a loose fit. If you have a Kidd receiver and have the stock modded with the rear hold down then it's not an issue. Without the hold down I can move most receivers either to one side or both which isn't great for consistency. If this isn't a problem for you then great, one less thing to worry about.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
It's not so much the stiffness of the stock that is the problem. It's the area around the receiver. Most of the receivers I've tried in the Magpul stock have a little bit of a loose fit. If you have a Kidd receiver and have the stock modded with the rear hold down then it's not an issue. Without the hold down I can move most receivers either to one side or both which isn't great for consistency. If this isn't a problem for you then great, one less thing to worry about.
I just got it mounted up. The receiver feels tight but I don't know for sure yet. Plenty of flex in the forearm. I'm gonna start messing with it tomorrow. I have really never found a polymer, synthetic or whatever they are that don't flex and have movement. I wanted to try one as the design is very comfortable. We will see how it shoots. It's gonna be a woods gun. I'm sure I will have some questions. Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 06:45 PM
OKNARF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine has a volquartsen carbon fiber 16 barrel. No modification to the stock. Mine is also a field / hunting rifle. Scope is mounted on the volquartsen cantaliver barrel mount. Brimstone trigger job. Shoots deadly one ragged hole groups with CCI sv.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 PM
OKNARF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is no movement with my receiver in the magpul stock.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:21 AM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know about this. After shooting, my initial impression is not very good. Bad groups. I haven't done anything but mount it and shoot it. I see a couple of things that I don't like. Action screw hole is kinda weak looking and no support for heavy barrel in front of action screw. Don't seem to be any movement in the receiver but wow, like a seesaw at the end of the forearm. Fit and finish is superb as far as appearance and the grip makes it absolutely comfortable to shoulder and shoot. I said that I was not going to do another synthetic stock but I am going to mess with this one, I have been looking at them since they first came out. I'm not going to bed anything, It should shoot as is. This stock has good reviews and even Kidd uses them. The barrel that I am using is proven and reliable. Gonna slow the ammo way down and do some action screw tourque adjustment first. Maybe a little support for the bull barrel. Do some head scratching. Put a call in to KIDD and see if they are doing anything different. (KIDD barrel, trigger and internals) The answer is right in front of me, I just got to figure it out. I'm not trying to make a bench gun but need it to shoot. Here we go again! Any ideas?

Last edited by bucko; 08-12-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:21 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have two of the X-22 stocks. They are two of the best shooting 10/22's I have. Both with Kidd barrels. I love mine and they both fit tight.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:14 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I have two of the X-22 stocks. They are two of the best shooting 10/22's I have. Both with Kidd barrels. I love mine and they both fit tight.
I just talked tp kidd. They advised that the barrel is floated all the way to the v block, no pads or support anywhere. They use 10 inch lbs on the action screw and I am doing 20. Might be something there. What torque do you use? You say they fit tight, any flex at the end of the forearm?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Don't know about this. After shooting, my initial impression is not very good. Bad groups. I haven't done anything but mount it and shoot it. I see a couple of things that I don't like. Action screw hole is kinda weak looking and no support for heavy barrel in front of action screw. Don't seem to be any movement in the receiver but wow, like a seesaw at the end of the forearm. Fit and finish is superb as far as appearance and the grip makes it absolutely comfortable to shoulder and shoot. I said that I was not going to do another synthetic stock but I am going to mess with this one, I have been looking at them since they first came out. I'm not going to bed anything, It should shoot as is. This stock has good reviews and even Kidd uses them. The barrel that I am using is proven and reliable. Gonna slow the ammo way down and do some action screw tourque adjustment first. Maybe a little support for the bull barrel. Do some head scratching. Put a call in to KIDD and see if they are doing anything different. (KIDD barrel, trigger and internals) The answer is right in front of me, I just got to figure it out. I'm not trying to make a bench gun but need it to shoot. Here we go again! Any ideas?
They are good stocks (I have 2 of them). And yes Kidd does use them. But they also inlet them for the rear tang and glass bed that area and the area under the v-block to make sure the rifle is nice and tight in the stock. If your barrel is moving like a "seesaw" then maybe you should try the barrel support. I would try tape bedding around the receiver and under the front of it first. If that works then you know it needs to be bedded. To those of you that say your rifle shoots great in the Magpul stock, that's fantastic. I'm not saying it's a bad stock. I do have receivers that fit nice and tight in the stock. But the majority of receivers that I've tried had a loose fit that would require a little work to get them fitting good.

Last edited by Nick7274; 08-12-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:25 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
They are good stocks (I have 2 of them). And yes Kidd does use them. But they also inlet them for the rear tang and glass bed that area and the area under the v-block to make sure the rifle is nice and tight in the stock. If your barrel is moving like a "seesaw" then maybe you should try the barrel support. I would try tape bedding around the receiver and under the front of it first. If that works then you know it needs to be bedded. To those of you that say your rifle shoots great in the Kidd stock, that's fantastic. I'm not saying it's a bad stock. I do have receivers that fit nice and tight in the stock. But the majority of receivers that I've tried had a loose fit that would require a little work to get them fitting good.
Does kidd do that work on the classic slip fit? Anyway, the receiver seems to fit very tight, the flex/movement is at the end of the forearm and of course the closer to the action screw it gets the firmer it gets. I don't find that the receiver is moving at all during this flex just the end of the forearm. It is like the stock is flexing but I don't know. I have tape bedded the receiver. I am starting over, I have put the rifle back in another proven stock. I will shoot five five shot groups with some eley just to make sure something else is not going on. That should give me a known to compare to. Then I will change back to the magpul and do the same. We will see.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 PM
mpolk

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
What torque do you use? You say they fit tight, any flex at the end of the forearm?
I torque them at 12. There is a little flex, but does not touch the barrel. One shoots 1/2" at 100yds with no wind. I really haven't shot the other on a bench, but shoots great in the field.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I torque them at 12. There is a little flex, but does not touch the barrel. One shoots 1/2" at 100yds with no wind. I really haven't shot the other on a bench, but shoots great in the field.
I have the stock off now and have looked it over. The forearm is too stiff to flex. It has to be the receiver even though I can't see it. That is the only answer. I really like this stock. I'm going to work it out. Sounds like yours are shooting great.