Hard to find .22lr magazines?? Looking for suggestions - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:36 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

High Standard 103 series

Browning Medalist/Challenger/Nomad and Challenger II magazines

VH
Old 08-11-2019, 02:34 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Kimber of Oregon model 82 .22LR and .22WMR mags are getting harder to find and more expensive. They are interchangeable with the Winchester 320 in .22LR. Both 82 and 320 rifles have been discontinued for many years. Always a few available on Ebay. Kimber made 4 and 5 round flush fit magazines as well as 10 rounders. 320 mags are 5 and 10 round. The 5 is slightly longer than the Kimber 5. I think triple k makes these now but don't know what quality they are. Kimber is a high end rifle and they made around 60,000 I think. Not sure how many Winchester 320's were made. They had about a 4 year run in the early to mid 70's and I would guess they made 20 thousand at least.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Fiddleharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! You sure kicked open an anthill!
Lotsa good suggestions here.
There are no aftermarket Savage Mark II mags that I know of. They are only supplied by Savage and most gun shops never have them in stock, especially the five-rounders.
You know what I think you'd do well with? A well-made copy of the Chinese "star" 20-round SKS fixed magazine. As far as I know, they haven't been imported in decades, are somewhat rare and extremely popular, and command top dollar online.
Mine has been on my SKS since the 1990's and has generally behaved well. The only improvement I can think of is more robust feed lips. They bend a little too easily for my taste.
Man, if you'd produce these, you'd make a killing! (Uh, wait, can I say that? )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 03:31 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I'm surprised that no one has suggested reproducing the early Savage magazines for the following rifles:

Savage Model 1903 Slide Action .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 1909 Slide Action .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 1912 Semi-Automatic .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 1919 Bolt Action .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 23A Sporter .22RF Rifle

There are still a lot of these rifles around, all of them used basically the same thin, stamped magazine design. Unfortunately, they've become somewhat hard to find in good condition and for a reasonable price. Not surprising since the rifles are around a hundred years old.
The Triple K repro mags can be made to work, but they don't look right IMHO. Also, I don't believe that the Savage magazine lends itself to a 3D printing process.

Here is a link to one of the threads on these magazines:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...vage+magazines

Last edited by kaynine; 08-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We actually have a Savage 23a magazine tooling set being made right now.

And for clarity I'm not using 3D printing.. I've looked at the machines but I've yet to be impressed enough to buy one.. Not that they cost much, I just don't see a place for one.

Here is an example of a magazine I make currently. Just to show I do know how to make a magazine.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Biathlon basic - https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1135681
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how about mags for a Thompson 1927 A3? it is a Tommy gun in 22lr and mags are impossible to find. if you are lucky you can find the banana clip 30 rounders but the last time I did it was 60 bucks. I have never been able to find a 10 round stick mag or a fifty round drum. so if you could figure out 10 round stick mags I would be in for some, they supposedly worked the best.

Last edited by lone gunman; 08-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddleharp View Post
Wow! You sure kicked open an anthill!
Lotsa good suggestions here.
There are no aftermarket Savage Mark II mags that I know of. They are only supplied by Savage and most gun shops never have them in stock, especially the five-rounders.
You know what I think you'd do well with? A well-made copy of the Chinese "star" 20-round SKS fixed magazine. As far as I know, they haven't been imported in decades, are somewhat rare and extremely popular, and command top dollar online.
Mine has been on my SKS since the 1990's and has generally behaved well. The only improvement I can think of is more robust feed lips. They bend a little too easily for my taste.
Man, if you'd produce these, you'd make a killing! (Uh, wait, can I say that? )
I've done a lot of centerfire stuff.. I'm kinda over it.

There are tons of people in the market making tons of stuff for as close to cost as possible, all fighting for small bite of a constantly shrinking piece of pie... I made a lot of stuff for the import market that has largely dried up with AR-10 prices at rock bottom levels.. AR-10 magazines are $17, who will pay the $35-40 I need for the same product.. And everyone buys from a handful of online retailers that take a large chunk of profits. So that $17 AR-10 magazine likely only costs $10.. AR-15 magazines are even worse, they are like $7 retail, so its not worth bothering to make them.

I made 30rd M14/M1A magazines and they sell so slowly that it is almost not worth making more.. The people that buy them like them, but everyone is so stuck in the USGI only mindset that it is too hard to get them to try something new.

.22lr magazines I can be competitive because the volume of most of the obsolete stuff is just about perfect. Not high enough for the big guys, and just complicated enough to make them hard to get right.

The other aspect of this is that your job depends on the whims of politicians you don't get much peace. Little .22lr magazines are way way way down the list of stuff anyone cares about banning. So less stress and a market that is more based on needs than fear.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 AM

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
10 round or larger pardini magazine

The pardini sp pistol only comes with a five round magazine. While they are not as common as a ruger or a model 41, if you made a magazine that holds ten or more rounds you would sell a million of them.

Also, you might want to consider a model 41 twelve round magazine, the old 12 rounders are going for a premium on gunbroker if you can find them.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
I'm surprised that no one has suggested reproducing the early Savage magazines for the following rifles:

Savage Model 1903 Slide Action .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 1909 Slide Action .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 1912 Semi-Automatic .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 1919 Bolt Action .22RF Rifle
Savage Model 23A Sporter .22RF Rifle

The Triple K repro mags can be made to work, but they don't look right IMHO.
I watch for all these magazines and see no shortage of originals so the only advantage of a reproduction would have to be with price. There are a couple of the 7 round on eBay now that have been relisted a couple times, both in the $100 range and a couple just sold in the $70 range. 1903 MAG 1, 1903 MAG 2 The 5 round for the 23A's bring less on average. I've seen the demand for the originals drop and with it a price drop, about a year ago there were 8 of the 7 round versions listed on eBay at the same time. A better reproduction than the Triple-K would help the shooters and might help the collectors by causing the prices of original magazines to drop. A few years ago you could get originals for under $50.

The problem with the top 3 on the list is that a good portion of the magazine shows and for a gun in collectable condition only an original magazine with enough wear to match the gun will ever look right.

A possible advantage to a Savage 1903/1909/1912 7 round magazine is that they can be easily modified to fit a 23A by widening the notch for the catch (the 23A 5 shot can also be modified to fit the 1903/1909/1912). With a different notch the Savage 7 shot can be made to fit a Marlin Model 50, I have one that cycles dummy rounds fine, I have not tried it with live ammo yet. The Savage magazines will also fit the Baker Gun & Forging 22 long rifle pumps that were made from Febiger No2 semi-auto parts and the Schmeisser System 1912 semi-auto - both very rare guns so if they took a magazine that would just work in them there would not be much demand.

Last edited by Sav22; 08-12-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
^^^ The originals you see on ebay are being stipped off guns that are in poor condition.
Most gun shops have a back corner stacked high with .22s with missing magazines or parts. I found that about 1/3 of my M1969 trainer magazines go to pawn shops to be matched to guns missing their magazine.

There is likely a decent market for less expensive magazines for the early savage rifles. Most of them got used pretty heavily, so I'd imagine there are piles of them minus the magazine sitting at gun shops all over the country.

The stamp plates for the 23A magazine is already drawn in CAD and is waiting to get milled.. One thing we are doing different is we are not doing a pressed hem seam like the originals, or welding seam like the Triple-K, we are going to weld off to the side of the back and make the spine a cleaner folded part. So it should result in a magazine that inserts easy.. The other thing is the originals run very close to max clearances, so if you copy the magazine and then use a thinner metal your magazines are too big in areas on the inside.

We also nitride our magazines, so they are very rust resistant.. And the coloring looks like dull bluing, or lightly worn parkerizing. If you want to match an older gun get some brown model paint tab it on lightly and rub it off with a cloth.. Or rub it with a little scotch brite if you want the aged bluing look.

Here is a test that I have going, this was last year at 35 months. It his four years at the end of september.
For reference I made BOTH magazines in the photo.

Last edited by csspecs; 08-12-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Savage 5 shot for the 23A is just a shorter version of the 7 shot with a small difference in the rear rib, the top on both are stamped the same with just a little difference in the amount of curl to the rear lips and the bottoms were the same except for the added button and some corner notches added to the last version - the same bottom was also used on the later 7 round. The last factory versions of both used the same follower, the earlier version were slightly different but they would interchange with the 1903/1909/1912 versions having a bolt stop function when the magazine was empty.

...so you already have a start on the 7 round.

Last edited by Sav22; 08-12-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not a 22 but mags for S&W 4506 are now between $45 and $50. I saw going to buy one but decided not to because of the mag availability and cost. There are always discussions on the S&W forum about magazines.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
A metal BB magazine would be interesting...
- ABolt 22lr mags.
- Hammerli 208 (even though it's easy to modify a S&W M41 mag to work)
- Sako P94
- Original Steyr Zephir (not sure how much of a market, but originals are just plain crazy $$)
- BRNO 581
- Original Browning T-bolt
- Browning Challenger
- Weatherby mark XXII 5 rd (Semi)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 PM
jbeachler
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How about a replacement for the plastic Remington 541 and 581 rifles.