ARA Sporter Class Rules – Questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:21 PM
ELR_Researcher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ARA Sporter Class Rules – Questions

ARA Sporter Class Rules – Questions

1. Rule 8.4.1.4. “Rifle must be a repeater and must be able to hold 2 or more rounds in a removable clip/magazine except for tubular fed rifles. Rounds may be fed into the chamber either by hand or from the magazine.” Question: Does this rule preclude competing while using a single-shot magazine or block (such as is “magazine” sold by CZ, or one of the plastic blocks currently available, respectively)?

2. Rule 8.4.1.9. “Barrel must be made out of one piece of metal with no attachments except for what is needed to attach the barrel to the action.” Question: Does this rule preclude the use of a clamp-on tuner, e.g., a Harrell?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:42 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
#2 is easy, any tuner is a no go.
#1 I'm not sure. ARA is pretty rule friendly so this one is a maybe. All you need to do is call Killoughs and ask.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:50 PM
ELR_Researcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
#2 is easy, any tuner is a no go.
#1 I'm not sure. ARA is pretty rule friendly so this one is a maybe. All you need to do is call Killoughs and ask.
Sorry for my ignorance, new to 22 RF BR - ARA and Killough are the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 08:38 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Dan Killough runs ARA and can give you the answer.

Last edited by vlnbyr; 08-11-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Incorrect info.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Ralph Spoilsport

TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
IR5050 vs ARA Sporter

Ditto what was said about ARA vs. IR5050 Sporter. If you're really interested in shooting Sporter Class in sanctioned events the ARA version is almost non-existent. I believe a range in Maine is shooting some this year but that's about it. I might be wrong about any others but I do know that ARA Sporter has never had but a handful of matches.

Where are you located? If there's a IR5050 range near you that shoots Sporter Class I'd go check it out. Many will have shooters who can loan you equipment to shoot your first match and get you hooked.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:18 PM
ELR_Researcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IR50/50 is a no-go for me - rifle weight, scope power, and range locations are all mismatches.

In fact, I just pulled the weight specs on my (planned) rifle and my in-hand scope and rings. That combo will not make ARA Sporter class weight. So...I'll be shooting "unlimited" ARA. Which is just fine by me. Was just researching for possible options.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 PM
ELR_Researcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
doc - thanks for your input. The rifle is only "planned" because it is not currently in stock at any reseller I can find (CZ 457 Varmint MTR - match target rifle) - will probably acquire thru my FFL who is a direct customer with Davidson's. And I already have a visit to my "local" (2 hour drive) ARA monthly event on my schedule for later this month. I'm in southern California so its the only "local" choice - and it is a great range. Was there about 5-6 years ago but decided to take another direction. Now I'm too old and weak to manage that other direction - and I'm no longer willing to get back into a custom build and the associated lead times and high costs. As is, my spreadsheet is already reflecting that, by the time I actually am able to find and buy the rifle, plus an "appropriate" one-piece rest, I'll be about $1k over my original budget. I am willing to live with that because that budget already includes 1500 rounds of practice and match-use ammo. FYI, my normal can't-leave-anything-alone penchant has already kicked in and I'm planning to get a rear "rail" added (to keep the forearm and buttstock dead on parallel) and "thinking" about the CZ light trigger and a tuner (probably Harrell). Hopefully the rifle itself will show up as available before other interests point me elsewhere. Thanks again and God bless!
Old 08-12-2019, 03:16 PM
ELR_Researcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello again, doc:

The ARA range I'm referring to is the one in Oxnard (Open Grove). Its 67 miles for me, about 1.5 ugly-traffic hours. Escondido is over 100 miles and 2+ hours (including some ugly traffic).

Understood that the CZ is unlikely to be competitive vs the purpose-built rigs. That's a given. As I noted, I'm not prepared to step up to a full-on rig at this stage (current interest level) - quite probably never. You are absolutely dead on re focusing on personal best accomplishments.

I'm pretty focused on a one-piece rest, not interested at this point in considering a 2-piece. That noted, I fully realize that I may well have more money in that rest than I will have in the base rifle. A one-piece works the way I want it with all fine tuning in the rear, so I'll need to rationalize spending the money. [If I decide to possibly buy a used purpose-built in the future, I'm also set there.] I'm looking at a Randolph with bag inserts front and rear or a PQP Precision Delrin top with the base Randolph Delrin rear - tending most towards the former. In either case my next question will be whether to fab an "interface board" to go between the bench top and the rest or just run the corner screws and stabilfeet. The research continues as I check (daily) on the availability of the CZ rifle. Thanks again for your suggestions and God bless!