Light strike and casings doming out - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Royb
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Light strike and casings doming out

Just got into working on my bossís 597 22 magnum a couple of weeks ago. He purchased one of the lighter trigger spring kits and asked if I could install it for him. The trigger spring change out went well and really improved the trigger pull. When he test fired the rifle, the problems started. First, he experienced light firing pin hits and whenever he ran the ammunition back through the rifle it may fire or it might take another time to finally fire. When it did fire it was obvious that the shell base was doming out. He contacted the supplier of the trigger spring kit and they sent a little heavier spring. I installed it and the rifle was tested again with the same results. I asked him about the original factory spring. I was going to put it back in to see if the FTF would go away, but he said that he threw the original away.
I read through several of the posts and started checking everything associated with correcting light strikes and domed shell casings. I have come to the conclusion that there appears to be nothing wrong with functionality of the trigger group. The guide rods are straight, not over torqued or too loose. The problem appears to be with the bolt head space clearance. With the rod springs out and a unfired bullet in the chamber I was able to insert a .016 feeler gauge between the casing base and bolt face. This appears to me to be the root cause both the light strikes and the doming.
The only way I see to correct this problem is to mill down the bolt face about .008-010. I would appreciate any help or suggestions from any one.
One other thing, this is a great site for rifle owners. Thanks in advance.