Don Blue Carbon-Fiber Extension Tube on a Harrell Tuner - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 PM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks Lee, really appreciate your input.

I would be more than happy with the pictured grouping if I could do that consistently.

More importantly, did the extension tube help in having the POA always hitting the POI ?

(I'm trying to get the POA & POI consistent to shoot the Green Monster targets... POI always shifts on me no matter what I do...)

In your picture, do you have an extra weight between the Harrell tuner and Don Blue's extension tube?

Or

Is the extension tube screwed into the basic tuner (without any weights) ?

Do you come back to the Islands once in a while? Kokohead really hasn't changed in years..............
Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk808 View Post
Thanks Lee, really appreciate your input.

I would be more than happy with the pictured grouping if I could do that consistently.

More importantly, did the extension tube help in having the POA always hitting the POI ?

(I'm trying to get the POA & POI consistent to shoot the Green Monster targets... POI always shifts on me no matter what I do...)

In your picture, do you have an extra weight between the Harrell tuner and Don Blue's extension tube?

Or

Is the extension tube screwed into the basic tuner (without any weights) ?

Do you come back to the Islands once in a while? Kokohead really hasn't changed in years..............
Esk, I had extra weights plus the bloop, total weight on the barrel was about 26-oz. if I remember the Don's 1st gen bloops were 6.5oz.

you know the POI changes may very well be the benches, I remember how unstable they are, plus factor the good old Koko Head swirl from the wind. if I was a rich man I would offer 10k for anyone who could shoot a 2500 on a ARA there. but to answer your question, if you have a good tune, the bloop will help further on tightening the way it shoots.

But to answer your question I haven't been back home in 2-years and haven't shot at KoKo Head in nearly 7

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 08-09-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input Lee.

You've given me another variation of adding weight between the tuner and tube...

Give me a heads up when you come back next time.

I'm always good for a beer or 2...........or 3........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk808 View Post
Thanks for the input Lee.

You've given me another variation of adding weight between the tuner and tube...

Give me a heads up when you come back next time.

I'm always good for a beer or 2...........or 3........
Esk, you are welcome

Lee
Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot RWS R50 through it on Sunday in the same 54.30.

It seems that Lapua Midas+ shoots way way better in this particular rifle.

The R50 was grouping with "large" one-hole groups, whereas the Midas+ would shoot "tighter" one-hole groups......

POA & POI seems together with the Midas+, and a little looser with the R50.

Anyway, really need to do more experimenting with this bloop tube...... Plan to try it on my 54.18 BR50 this coming weekend...........

This bloop tube makes a difference that is noticeable..............
Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Blaser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how can we get a Don tube
Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 AM
center22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaser View Post
how can we get a Don tube
Send him an email: [email protected]
Old 08-15-2019, 03:56 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by center22 View Post
Send him an email: [email protected]
Yes, that's his email.

He makes them as orders come in, and he shipped mine about a week after he received payment.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi-Nv Shooter is probably on the right track with his experiences with a light-weight tuner, and Don Blue is probably on a parallel track with his prototype tuner with a short carbon-fiber barrel.

I recall an email back-n-forth with Steve Boelter of Anschutz Custom Shop about not putting too much weight on the front of the Harrell tuner.... (I had told him that I bought the extra weights for the Harrell tuner..)

Steve uses a 4oz. aluminum screw-in on the Harrell tuner, and all the custom-built rifles coming out of his shop have these light aluminum screw-ins. He said that using too much weight will only complicate matters with POA and POI........

Don Blue's prototype Harrell tuner with a replacement carbon-fiber barrel may be the way to go...... (pictured above)
Old 09-02-2019, 03:48 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In an email, Don Blue explained the more salient points of the carbon-fiber extension tube:

Don Blue: "The tube is actually two pieces of different diameter carbon tube fitted together. I originally was just making a single carbon tube with a threaded end piece to thread into the Harrells. With a lot of experimenting I came up with the idea of fitting a tube inside of another tube and making the end pieces to hold them together.....I used to be into target archery and when I was doing that I got into making the long carbon fiber stabilizers for the target bows....that's where I got into working with carbon fiber. I was always amazed at how the carbon fiber stabilizers removed most of the shock from the riser of the bow...so, I started experimenting with it with the bloop tubes.

I have studied lots of high speed photos of a .22 bullet being fired out of a barrel....when the bullet is fired, what happens is the air that is forced out in front of the bullet, when it hits the outside air it creates a turbulent cloud that the bullet has to pass through...this turbulent cloud of air can tip off the bullet as it passes through throwing off the POI of the bullet.

My theory is, the bloop tube causes that turbulent cloud of air to disperse differently so that it gives the bullet a clearer path to pass through without tipping it off...and also before the bullet reaches the outside air, the extra nano seconds it's still in the tube allows it to stabilize just a bit more. I also believe that the carbon tube sorta acts like a resonator with the vibrations being transferred down the barrel....I'm not an engineer and I don't have any data to back everything up with but it's my theory."
Old 09-02-2019, 04:37 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just passing on what Don told me, which I requested permission to pass on to other shooters......