Don Blue Carbon-Fiber Extension Tube on a Harrell Tuner - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 PM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Location: 
Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 
140
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don Blue Carbon-Fiber Extension Tube on a Harrell Tuner



Log in to see fewer ads
Harrell Tuner and Don Blue’s Carbon-Fiber Extension Tube


Just got Don Blue's carbon-fiber extension tube to fit on the Harrell tuner last week.

The Harrell tuner is to minimize the barrel vibrations to lessen the vertical
stringing of a shot group. The extension tube is to provide consistency in the gas
blowout when the bullet exits the muzzle. Well, that’s the basic theory, anyway.

Don Blue said that with the extension tube, he gets smaller groups by ˝ bullet diameter, and gets consistency (POA to POI) shooting bullseye to bullseye….

I put it on an Anschutz 54.30 in a Kelbly stock, made by ANA Custom Shop.

On Sunday, I tried the Harrell tuner and extension tube, and got more consistent 5-shot, one-hole groups than I ever got with no tuner or with tuner.

Kokohead Range (in Honolulu, Hawaii) had a little wind as usual, but not that much on Sunday.

I was shooting Lapua Midas+ ammo. I also shot SK Purple Flat Nose Match which never really shot well with no tuner or with tuner. However, it shot noticeably better with the tuner and the extension tube.

Must experiment some more to see any definitive results……

Please tell me about your experiences with the tuner and Don Blue's extension tube.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2417.JPG (92.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg tuner only.JPG (87.5 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by esk808; 08-08-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM
sfogold
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2015
Location: 
Bay Area, CA
Posts: 
12
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could you post up a link for that Tube for the vendor, I’d love to take a closer look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Gillis2's Avatar
Gillis2

Join Date: 
Sep 2013
Location: 
Canada
Posts: 
746
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, someone has to say it first: Nice set up
Thanks for sharing your experiments.

Gilbert
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Turbosam
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
199
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hes not a vendor just a guy that shoots and makes them. Best bet would be go to rimfire accuracy site and get contact info
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-08-2019, 03:07 PM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Location: 
Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 
140
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While Don has explained his situation in our back-and-forth emails, I believe that it would be best for him to respond.

We should be hearing from him.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 PM
DBlue

Join Date: 
Jan 2014
Posts: 
444
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have taken a few steps back from benchrest shooting for a while to re-evaluate what I want to do in the game. I'm not quitting shooting and I'm not quitting building rifles.
I was asked to build the ARA giveaway gun for the Nationals this year back in either Dec. or Jan. of this year and I agreed to do it but as time passed my workload from other customers increased and I had never received any of the parts to build the gun with by the first week of April....So, with my existing workload I knew that I would not have the time I wanted to devote to building that rifle so I had to decline on building it.

I stopped taking on building rifles until I have now caught up on everything and I have decided to devote my time to building my carbon tubes and working on an idea of mine on a modified Harrels tuner. I have found a way to lighten the Harrels tuner and have added a few other changes of mine to it and it has been working very well in conjunction with my carbon tube. This is a pic of part of what I've done with it but I have done more to it since this pic but I don't want to show it at this time until I get it the way I want.


I took Lee's advise about trying a lighter tuner and this has been working very well so far....Hopefully I will get it perfected to the way I want and maybe this could turn out to be another option available for tuning.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:04 PM
JOKER708 is online now
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2012
Posts: 
218
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Very interesting tuner
I have one of the carbon fiber bloop tubes but not enough testing--
Will keep watching -- thx
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 PM
elohssa63's Avatar
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2012
Location: 
Golden Gulf Coast
Posts: 
1,771
TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Don, do you have to retune the Harrell after adding the tube? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 PM
DBlue

Join Date: 
Jan 2014
Posts: 
444
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
Don, do you have to retune the Harrell after adding the tube? Thanks.
You might need to move the tuner a few clicks in either direction after installing but you should not have to do a complete re-tune. I usually turn the tuner a half or full turn either way just to see if there is an improvement.

Thanks,
Don
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
3,875
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlue View Post
I have taken a few steps back from benchrest shooting for a while to re-evaluate what I want to do in the game. I'm not quitting shooting and I'm not quitting building rifles.
I was asked to build the ARA giveaway gun for the Nationals this year back in either Dec. or Jan. of this year and I agreed to do it but as time passed my workload from other customers increased and I had never received any of the parts to build the gun with by the first week of April....So, with my existing workload I knew that I would not have the time I wanted to devote to building that rifle so I had to decline on building it.

I stopped taking on building rifles until I have now caught up on everything and I have decided to devote my time to building my carbon tubes and working on an idea of mine on a modified Harrels tuner. I have found a way to lighten the Harrels tuner and have added a few other changes of mine to it and it has been working very well in conjunction with my carbon tube. This is a pic of part of what I've done with it but I have done more to it since this pic but I don't want to show it at this time until I get it the way I want.


I took Lee's advise about trying a lighter tuner and this has been working very well so far....Hopefully I will get it perfected to the way I want and maybe this could turn out to be another option available for tuning.
Don, Glad to see you posting. I heard some rumors too and glad that is all they were.
on the new carbon outer bell, are you still able to use the ball and spring detent for adjusting?

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:21 PM
DBlue

Join Date: 
Jan 2014
Posts: 
444
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Hey Lee...good to see you are still posting here also....

Yes, I can still use the ball detent, just have to shorten the spring.

Thanks,
Don
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2019, 11:40 PM
elohssa63's Avatar
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2012
Location: 
Golden Gulf Coast
Posts: 
1,771
TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Don, Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM
vlnbyr

Join Date: 
Mar 2010
Location: 
Central Ohio
Posts: 
1,243
TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Don...Take the Suhl cone off your list. John Prince
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-09-2019, 07:23 PM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2014
Location: 
Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 
140
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To the users of Don's extension tube, what has been your experience or results using it?


I'm in the experimental stage with only 1 outing last weekend.....

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
3,875
TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk808 View Post
To the users of Don's extension tube, what has been your experience or results using it?


I'm in the experimental stage with only 1 outing last weekend.....

Thanks.
Not sure if it makes a difference( to compare), but here is what I got with a heavy tuner setup and Don's first design carbon bloob. this was almost 2-years 9-2017 ago. rifle is a Falcon 2nd generation

this was the best group I could get, but this rifle never had ammo that was lot tested for it. barrel is a .875 Rockcreek 5-G about 24"

IMO they work very good.

Lee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My home made carbon fiber barrel Kfxguy 10/22 Barrels - Factory & Aftermarket 5 07-07-2018 06:17 PM
How Bad Does a Carbon Ring Have to Be Before Accuracy Drops Off? flangster Open Rimfire 31 02-13-2018 09:44 PM
Non-threaded slip on adapter & carbon fiber barrel. newkid 10/22 Barrels - Factory & Aftermarket 5 10-17-2017 04:25 PM
Starik carbon tube tuner -- thoughts? Penage Guy Bench Techniques and Equipment 4 06-23-2017 07:07 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x