Don Blue Carbon-Fiber Extension Tube on a Harrell Tuner - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 PM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don Blue Carbon-Fiber Extension Tube on a Harrell Tuner

Harrell Tuner and Don Blue’s Carbon-Fiber Extension Tube

Just got Don Blue's carbon-fiber extension tube to fit on the Harrell tuner last week.

The Harrell tuner is to minimize the barrel vibrations to lessen the vertical
stringing of a shot group. The extension tube is to provide consistency in the gas
blowout when the bullet exits the muzzle. Well, that’s the basic theory, anyway.

Don Blue said that with the extension tube, he gets smaller groups by ˝ bullet diameter, and gets consistency (POA to POI) shooting bullseye to bullseye….

I put it on an Anschutz 54.30 in a Kelbly stock, made by ANA Custom Shop.

On Sunday, I tried the Harrell tuner and extension tube, and got more consistent 5-shot, one-hole groups than I ever got with no tuner or with tuner.

Kokohead Range (in Honolulu, Hawaii) had a little wind as usual, but not that much on Sunday.

I was shooting Lapua Midas+ ammo. I also shot SK Purple Flat Nose Match which never really shot well with no tuner or with tuner. However, it shot noticeably better with the tuner and the extension tube.

Must experiment some more to see any definitive results……

Please tell me about your experiences with the tuner and Don Blue's extension tube.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2417.JPG (92.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg tuner only.JPG (87.5 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by esk808; 08-08-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM
sfogold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could you post up a link for that Tube for the vendor, I’d love to take a closer look at it.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, someone has to say it first: Nice set up
Thanks for sharing your experiments.

Gilbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Turbosam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hes not a vendor just a guy that shoots and makes them. Best bet would be go to rimfire accuracy site and get contact info
Old 08-08-2019, 03:07 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While Don has explained his situation in our back-and-forth emails, I believe that it would be best for him to respond.

We should be hearing from him.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 PM
DBlue

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have taken a few steps back from benchrest shooting for a while to re-evaluate what I want to do in the game. I'm not quitting shooting and I'm not quitting building rifles.
I was asked to build the ARA giveaway gun for the Nationals this year back in either Dec. or Jan. of this year and I agreed to do it but as time passed my workload from other customers increased and I had never received any of the parts to build the gun with by the first week of April....So, with my existing workload I knew that I would not have the time I wanted to devote to building that rifle so I had to decline on building it.

I stopped taking on building rifles until I have now caught up on everything and I have decided to devote my time to building my carbon tubes and working on an idea of mine on a modified Harrels tuner. I have found a way to lighten the Harrels tuner and have added a few other changes of mine to it and it has been working very well in conjunction with my carbon tube. This is a pic of part of what I've done with it but I have done more to it since this pic but I don't want to show it at this time until I get it the way I want.

I took Lee's advise about trying a lighter tuner and this has been working very well so far....Hopefully I will get it perfected to the way I want and maybe this could turn out to be another option available for tuning.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:04 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Very interesting tuner
I have one of the carbon fiber bloop tubes but not enough testing--
Will keep watching -- thx
Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 PM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Don, do you have to retune the Harrell after adding the tube? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 PM
DBlue

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
Don, do you have to retune the Harrell after adding the tube? Thanks.
You might need to move the tuner a few clicks in either direction after installing but you should not have to do a complete re-tune. I usually turn the tuner a half or full turn either way just to see if there is an improvement.

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlue View Post
I have taken a few steps back from benchrest shooting for a while to re-evaluate what I want to do in the game. I'm not quitting shooting and I'm not quitting building rifles.
I was asked to build the ARA giveaway gun for the Nationals this year back in either Dec. or Jan. of this year and I agreed to do it but as time passed my workload from other customers increased and I had never received any of the parts to build the gun with by the first week of April....So, with my existing workload I knew that I would not have the time I wanted to devote to building that rifle so I had to decline on building it.

I stopped taking on building rifles until I have now caught up on everything and I have decided to devote my time to building my carbon tubes and working on an idea of mine on a modified Harrels tuner. I have found a way to lighten the Harrels tuner and have added a few other changes of mine to it and it has been working very well in conjunction with my carbon tube. This is a pic of part of what I've done with it but I have done more to it since this pic but I don't want to show it at this time until I get it the way I want.

I took Lee's advise about trying a lighter tuner and this has been working very well so far....Hopefully I will get it perfected to the way I want and maybe this could turn out to be another option available for tuning.
Don, Glad to see you posting. I heard some rumors too and glad that is all they were.
on the new carbon outer bell, are you still able to use the ball and spring detent for adjusting?

Lee
Old 08-08-2019, 11:21 PM
DBlue

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Hey Lee...good to see you are still posting here also....

Yes, I can still use the ball detent, just have to shorten the spring.

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-08-2019, 11:40 PM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Don, Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Don...Take the Suhl cone off your list. John Prince
Old 08-09-2019, 07:23 PM
esk808

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To the users of Don's extension tube, what has been your experience or results using it?

I'm in the experimental stage with only 1 outing last weekend.....

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk808 View Post
To the users of Don's extension tube, what has been your experience or results using it?

I'm in the experimental stage with only 1 outing last weekend.....

Thanks.
Not sure if it makes a difference( to compare), but here is what I got with a heavy tuner setup and Don's first design carbon bloob. this was almost 2-years 9-2017 ago. rifle is a Falcon 2nd generation

this was the best group I could get, but this rifle never had ammo that was lot tested for it. barrel is a .875 Rockcreek 5-G about 24"

IMO they work very good.

Lee