Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mid Barrel Tuner - opinions?

I've read of shooters using a mid barrel tuner. Some have posted pictures of these on their rifles. But that's all I know about them. I'd like to learn more.

Is there much of a difference between different makes of mid barrel tuners? Are they essentially weights that are moveable along the barrel?

How do they work? Do they need an adjustable tuner on the end of the barrel, or can they make a difference on their own (provided of course they are on right location on the barrel)?

Do many bench shooters use mid barrel tuners?

Is there a difference in function between the two barrel attachments shown below? (Note that the first two pictures are of the same device.)

Old 08-07-2019, 05:13 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I believe the inexpensive Limbsaver Damper (a rubber sliding 'weight') may do the same thing in a less elegant way? Perhaps a good way to try the concept?
Correct me if wrong, but my impression of these devices is that you 'find the node' in the length of the barrel to calm the harmonics thus reduce the spread of the shots into a smaller group.
If yer good enough to tell.....
Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Some use them many don't. Some very good shooters use them many don't. Will they work alone, maybe. How do they work, not a relevant issue. Is there a difference in types, yes. Is one better than another, maybe. If I buy Eley test lots should I get any 3 machine. My friend shoots Midas and beats me, if I switch to Midas will I shoot better. Answers are found on the bench not the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Some use them many don't. Some very good shooters use them many don't. Will they work alone, maybe. How do they work, not a relevant issue. Is there a difference in types, yes. Is one better than another, maybe. If I buy Eley test lots should I get any 3 machine. My friend shoots Midas and beats me, if I switch to Midas will I shoot better. Answers are found on the bench not the internet.
Thanks for the reflective response about mid barrel tuners. As for your ammo questions, you shouldn't buy Eley, regardless of machine. And don't shoot against your friend. He'd no doubt still beat you even if you switched to his rifle.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 PM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Some guns respond well to them, others don't. You can make a gun shoot pretty well with one without a tuner if you get it in the right place. Could it be competitive with just the mid barrel tuner, I personally don't think it can.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
I've read of shooters using a mid barrel tuner. Some have posted pictures of these on their rifles. But that's all I know about them. I'd like to learn more.

Is there much of a difference between different makes of mid barrel tuners? Are they essentially weights that are moveable along the barrel?

How do they work? Do they need an adjustable tuner on the end of the barrel, or can they make a difference on their own (provided of course they are on right location on the barrel)?

Do many bench shooters use mid barrel tuners?

Is there a difference in function between the two barrel attachments shown below? (Note that the first two pictures are of the same device.)

PG, They work and at least Charlie Scott's brand really work well. IMO they dampen the barrel. they have a sorbothane pad between the barrel and mid tuner to aid in this dampening.
I no longer use them as I seem to get better results since going to lite tuners.

Lee
Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
If you want to try one without spending bug $$$ you may want to try one of these

https://whiteheadindustrial.com/1-no...CABEgISMPD_BwE
The upside is, if it does not help it may come in useful at some point.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Thanks for the reflective response about mid barrel tuners. As for your ammo questions, you shouldn't buy Eley, regardless of machine. And don't shoot against your friend. He'd no doubt still beat you even if you switched to his rifle.
Most everything about this sport is a maybe and the deeper you get the more maybe it becomes.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
AND expensive with NO guarantees!
Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Most everything about this sport is a maybe and the deeper you get the more maybe it becomes.
John, you sure got that right. See ya in a couple of weeks.

Glen H
Old 08-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
+1 on Glen's comment and I'll see you both in a couple of weeks!

To the OP. I have one rifle with a mid barrel, as mentioned by Lee, it is a Charlie Scott and it does work. Tried two on same barrel, didn't see better results so went back to one. And yes, I can see the difference when moving it on the barrel in relationship to group size on the target. Basically you install on the barrel per the instructions, about 1-1/2" ahead of the forearm, if I recall correctly. The instructions say to move, I believe, one inch at a time forward while shooting groups, forgot the number of shoots the directions said, I use three and I moved it 1/2" at a time. Directions said set your primary tuner at zero during this process. I set mine at 100. So there, several things I did the directions said to do something else. The groups still got taller and shorter as the mid barrel was moved. When I found a place that was the smallest, I left the tuner there and started with the second. Groups got taller and smaller as with the first, but never smaller than only the first one, so I took the second one off and threw it in my kit. It's still there.

Now, this entire little explanation means nothing, to some point. Your rifle, John's rifle, my other rifles, may be totally different. Go ahead and read the next paragraph then pay particular attention to the last one I typed. Direct quote from John, who you seemed to take exception with. You asked for an explanation, you got one. Bottom line is still where John said it was....which is not here.

Keep in mind there is an endless array of gadgets, accessories and methods to tune a rifle barrel. I could possibly take my front weight and tube off, remove the mid barrel and retune with just the Harrell's and end up with a tune just as good as I have with all the 'jewelry' on the barrel, but possibly not. How do you find out? See below.

Lot of truth to "finding answers on the bench". Most of the time, it's the only place to find answers. Good luck to you.
Thanks for this response. It has some helpful information, as do some others posts above.

I said I didn't know anything about mid barrel tuners. I've never seen one, never read instructions for one, and never talked to anyone who had ever heard of one. As a result I asked my questions. I was simply seeking information from which to learn. Obviously many of the posters in this thread have the opportunity to discuss with other shooters all manner of shooting related issues. Not everyone does.

I wasn't looking for any shortcuts to doing better off the bench. Nor was I seeking to appropriate anyone's hard-earned solutions to improved results. If someone fears giving away "state secrets" then not responding to a question is the right thing to do. It's not necessary to answer a question.

I also understand that there are no easy answers. Anyone can see how often knowledgeable people on RFC disagree with one another that there often is no consensus, let alone easy answers.

In asking the questions I raised I wasn't looking for answers like maybe it will, maybe it won't. That answer covers every possibility available and is a meaningless tautology. My wife could have said that despite not knowing a thing about the question.

I was only looking for helpful information about mid barrel tuners. If I appear to have taken exception with John's post I apologize. At the same time I didn't intend for exception to be taken for asking the questions I did. No one should regret asking a question unless it is very foolish.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Post #4 is hilarious, competition is the route to all evil, Kenny here said all I need to know, when this game begins to become a chore, it's time to step away
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's your opinion and that's mine, your comment has nothing to do with the post either
Old 08-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Thanks for this response. It has some helpful information, as do some others posts above.

I said I didn't know anything about mid barrel tuners. I've never seen one, never read instructions for one, and never talked to anyone who had ever heard of one. As a result I asked my questions. I was simply seeking information from which to learn. Obviously many of the posters in this thread have the opportunity to discuss with other shooters all manner of shooting related issues. Not everyone does.

I wasn't looking for any shortcuts to doing better off the bench. Nor was I seeking to appropriate anyone's hard-earned solutions to improved results. If someone fears giving away "state secrets" then not responding to a question is the right thing to do. It's not necessary to answer a question.

I also understand that there are no easy answers. Anyone can see how often knowledgeable people on RFC disagree with one another that there often is no consensus, let alone easy answers.

In asking the questions I raised I wasn't looking for answers like maybe it will, maybe it won't. That answer covers every possibility available and is a meaningless tautology. My wife could have said that despite not knowing a thing about the question.

I was only looking for helpful information about mid barrel tuners. If I appear to have taken exception with John's post I apologize. At the same time I didn't intend for exception to be taken for asking the questions I did. No one should regret asking a question unless it is very foolish.
PG, I think what some were trying to say is it does work, but unless you try it on your rifle, there is no definite answer that it will does that make sense?

IMO if you can not find a tune with a regular muzzle tuner, a mid-barrel would not be much help. as I mentioned I used them, but only after spending many hours tuning with just a Harrell tuner. the MB is an aid to the muzzle tuner and nothing more. from my experience I seen it where it took away the half bullet vertical I just could not get ride of in some rifles with just the Harrell.

Lee
Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
PG, I think what some were trying to say is it does work, but unless you try it on your rifle, there is no definite answer that it will does that make sense?

IMO if you can not find a tune with a regular muzzle tuner, a mid-barrel would not be much help. as I mentioned I used them, but only after spending many hours tuning with just a Harrell tuner. the MB is an aid to the muzzle tuner and nothing more. from my experience I seen it where it took away the half bullet vertical I just could not get ride of in some rifles with just the Harrell.

Lee
Thanks, Lee. That's the kind of information that is helpful.

To be clear, I'm not looking for a thumbs up or a thumbs down when it comes to mid barrel tuners. (There not easily available here anyway as they are export restriced.) Nor am I asking if it would work on any rifle in particular.

I'm simply looking for information: how do they work, are they essentially movable weights, do they work alone or best with a tuner. I'm also wondering if many BR shooters use them. I learned that apparently some do and some don't.

I didn't anticipate equivocation and ambivalence. As I said above my wife could have told me with conviction that a mid barrel tuner might work or it might not. But perhaps I missed the point. Perhaps inscrutability is the nature of the MBT. It might work, but no one knows why it does or doesn't -- or at least they aren't posting here. In the end, mid barrel tuners seem a little more enigmatic than expected.