Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Clamman192

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Skinner sights

Hi I have a h001 with a skinner sight mounted on barrel with a Hi viz front sight just wanted to know if a receiver mounted skinner is better for old eyes? Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC!

After having some experience with a barrel mounted aperture sight on a CZ and using receiver or tang mounted ones on other rifles I can offer the opinion that the closer an aperture is to one's eye the more pronounced the improvement in the depth of field. Also, a longer sight radius is typically better than a shorter one. I'm using a Marbles tang sight on my Henry H001TLB and a Lyman 66 receiver mounted sight on my Winchester 94 and I still get a good sight picture on both of them despite my eyes being very "experienced".
Old 08-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

Welcome to the board ! !

Yes, the closer to the eye, the better - as far as peepsights are concerned.

They are much faster to use than any other sight, save a red dot sight.

With your barrel-mounted peepsight, you might not realize the proper way to use a peepsight that's closer to the eye.

With a peepsight, the shooter looks THROUGH the aperture (not "at" it), simply placing the front sight "on target" (beit it paper or game).

DO NOT consciously try to center the front sight in the aperture, as the human eye will subconsciously automatically do it.

Focus on the front sight, and let the target remain slightly out of focus, for best results.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a barrel mounted Skinner peep sight on my long barrel frontier. Ita a nice product but I found it hard to use so far away from my eye and that it covered up entirely too much of the target. I switched too a tang mounted peep instead.

I should have known better as I have several rifles equipped with tang peeps and really like them. I also have two with receiver mounted peeps. I prefer the tang mounted ones, especially on lever guns. Im convinced closer is better with peep sights.p
Old 08-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Closer to the eye is better than further, whether Skinner or any other rear peep.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Clamman192

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much for all the replies has anyone used the receiver mounted skinner with stock mounted front sight and it worked I would like to use my Hi viz front sight if possible
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamman192 View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies has anyone used the receiver mounted skinner with stock mounted front sight and it worked I would like to use my Hi viz front sight if possible

The Skinner is a top-mount receiver sight, ergo it's raises the rifle's line-of-sight - and so the front sight also needs to be raised.

IOW, you will need a front sight blade that's approximately .10" taller than the issue front sight blade to zero the rifle.

If that's not done, the POI will be much higher than the POA, even with the receiver sight all the way "down".

In the pic below, look at the center & lower simplistic illustrations to see what I'm talking about. (they are simplistic because in reality, the bullet trajectory is an arc)

The middle pic shows what happens when the rear sight is raised and the front sight left alone - the point of impact (POI) is much higher than the point of aim (POA).

The lower pic shows that the barrel must be tilted up dramatically - but - installing a taller front sight blade has the same effect.

Since you want a fiber-optic sight (I'm a big fan) anyway, just measure the issue front sight height from the bottom of it's male dovetail to the top & buy an FO sight that's about .10" taller.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 08-07-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamman192 View Post
My Henry Small Game Carbine .22lr came with the receiver mounted Skinner sight, it works great. I've only been able to shoot it to 25 yards to date.