Shotgun ignorant. What does RFC like for home defense? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Shotgun ignorant. What does RFC like for home defense?

I have only shot a shotgun twice in my life. Once as a kid and once last month. Let's just say I have more ballast now than I did as a kid. Kinda like a Weeble. I wobble, but don't fall down.

What do you all like for a home defense shotgun? Concerns are: over-penetration, ability to point, etc. Semi-auto or pump?

Not looking for a $2,000 Benelli. . . more like a practical tool. Thoughts?

Last edited by flangster; 08-05-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of the HD shotguns out there now. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ieBlLfYPmfPuoL
Old 08-05-2019, 04:52 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're going to use it indoors, be prepared to be deaf after you protect yourself (Yes, that is the preferred way for it to end up)

Shotgun patterns don't do you much good at close range, though, so weigh your choice of gun carefully.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Well, I don't like to think of the circumstances when it would be needed. So, yeah, I am thinking about this carefully. Just gathering information at this point. And since I am dumb as a rock on this stuff, I figured I'd ask the folks in the know.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Something like the new Mossberg Shockwave is a great weapon for home defense. It's short and light to make it easy to swing around in tight areas. Load it up with some 00 buckshot and just point and pull (in the unfortunate event it was ever needed). I don't have a shorty yet but I do keep a Mossberg JM Pro 930 loaded with 00 pretty close to the bedside.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:45 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
There is a reason most Police Entry teams use no. 4 to no. 6 shot, at close range they're devastating without the structural damage/over penetration of Buckshot. YMMV
Old 08-05-2019, 05:56 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shotguns need to be aimed. It aint Hollywood. I pattern every one of my shotguns. At 5 yards a 12 gauge 9 pellet 00 pattern will be 5" or less. 00 buck has excessive penetration. In 12 gauge 27 pellet #4 buck is a better choice for home defense. Another option is the mini shells. You will need an adapter but it almost doubles the number of rounds. Minishell buck is 7 #4 and 4 #1 buck in each shell. Recoils like a 20 gauge.
I strongly recommend a pump. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.
Are you the only shooter or is a smaller shooter possibly going to use it? If there is a smaller shooter or you want to mitigate recoil consider 20 gauge. The most common 20 gauge HD load is 20 pellet #3 buck.
I do have 12 and 20 gauge but I keep a Mossberg 500 pump in 410 with an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. 9 pellets of #4 buckshot with a back up of 5 pellet 000 buck. Low recoil, less noise, light weight and fast target re-acquisition. I also have some loads with 4x.40 caliber balls. Forget spread with that load. At 10 yards it is one large hole. With the advent of the Judge and Governor revolvers a lot of very nasty 410 ammo has come on the market and the shells work better in shotguns than the revolvers. Several women have shot this gun and want their husbands to get one for them. I bought the Mosberg 410 pump at Walmart for $275 otd. It came with a 24" full choke vent rib barrel. Mossberg shipped me the 18.5" barrel for $80. You can also get a shorter stock.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:18 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fit is something I should point out. I am Mr Average. I am the guy they make all the standard stocks for. Shotguns need to fit. You have a bead on the barrel and if the stock does not fit it isn't going to be pointed where you want it. Magpul makes a butt stock that has a straight comb which eliminates cheek slap and it has spacers to make it the right length. I have one on my Mossberg 500 12 gauge that is set up for HD and it makes a difference in felt recoil. It is set up with a fiber optic clip on bead and it really stands out. I also have one on the 410.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:23 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Out of curiosity (because I never have, but am always curious) has anyone responding here personally fired a shotgun inside their home? Not a test facility or training camp, but inside THEIR own home?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:32 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
There is a reason most Police Entry teams use no. 4 to no. 6 shot, at close range they're devastating without the structural damage/over penetration of Buckshot. YMMV
Something to consider.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post

Something like the new Mossberg Shockwave is a great weapon for home defense.

It's short and light to make it easy to swing around in tight areas.

Load it up with some 00 buckshot and just point and pull

+1

This is the econo version (used gun, $150 all in including grip & rubber FE) of the Shockwave, in 20ga, that I converted @ home, cutting the barrel to 18" (US Federal Law minimum) and replacing the buttstock with a Raptor grip.

The OAL also meets the US Federal Law minimum of 26", coming out at 27".

(before)

(after)

Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post
+1

The above before picture has LOT going for it. Those tactical guns are totally unnecessary. The look the part and for a hobby way to spend a few dollars they are fine. Cool even. But no practical gain in my book.

I have read some very serious discussion that if you ever do use the gun you will have to defend you actions in a hearing. Things may go a lot smoother if you have a normal looking shotgun as opposed to some black zombie killer. And you simply dont need all that black stuff. The pistol grip does not buy you anything. The short barrel makes obvious sense, to a point. No need to go black. No need to push the legal minimum. A little more barrel is lot easier to handle. Say 22"? That would actually be useful for some field use should you want to practice. You could shoot skeet with tubes.

One thing not often considered up front, a cut down 12ga can be a handful. I would look at a 20 either way, but even more so with a cut down gun. In gun with one of those black plastic pistol grip the 12 comes back hard.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:53 PM
whtsmoke
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to whtsmoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Out of curiosity (because I never have, but am always curious) has anyone responding here personally fired a shotgun inside their home? Not a test facility or training camp, but inside THEIR own home?
No but I have fired a 45acp in the house and it is defining to say the least.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:09 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is not for sport! I rather damage my hearing than end up at the mercy of a home invader. That is a very long shot, even in some rat infested high crime area. I may well turn out in 90% of these encounters, a gun in hand is enough to settle the problem. I mean no shots fired. You may as likely (or more likely) end up outside investigating a problem. Problem might have 2 or might have 4 legs. All the more reason for a real gun rather than a zombie killer.

Last edited by fourbore; 08-05-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:17 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A cheap 20 or 12ga. pump with an 'upland' barrel and 'turkey loads' would likely be fine, probably overkill.....and you would be needing some remodeling after the mess.
I would think rock-salt loads indoors would be plenty but imagine the court case for those reloads,"honest, I didnt want to kill him, just season him a bit".