Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:57 PM
smallguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 77 cycling problem.

I have a model 77 that I took apart and cleaned. Put it back together and now it jams. The bolt seems to contact the magazine as it comes back forward. It also seems to hang up the last quarter of a inch or so when the bolt is retracted (right at the end). It goes back but the last little bit of travel takes quite a bit more force. This was the case before I cleaned it and cleaning didn't make it any better.

Now when the bolt comes forward it it will sometimes hang up on the magazine. Or if it doesn't, it will give me a light strike without the shell being fired. I assume it is because it isn't going into battery. The shell will remain in the chamber and not extract. If I manually recycle the bolt, the shell extracts.

It will jam about every 4 rounds.

I thought the "stickeyness" in the last part of movement backwards of the bolt would get better with cleaning but it doesn't seem to matter. I think that the bolt contacting the magazine on its forward movement is slowing it down enough so that it doesn't go into battery. That is when it manages to get past the magazine at all. I'm pretty much out of good ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
NEVER take apart a winchester 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallguns View Post
I have a model 77 that I took apart and cleaned. Put it back together and now it jams. The bolt seems to contact the magazine as it comes back forward. It also seems to hang up the last quarter of a inch or so when the bolt is retracted (right at the end). It goes back but the last little bit of travel takes quite a bit more force. This was the case before I cleaned it and cleaning didn't make it any better.

Now when the bolt comes forward it it will sometimes hang up on the magazine. Or if it doesn't, it will give me a light strike without the shell being fired. I assume it is because it isn't going into battery. The shell will remain in the chamber and not extract. If I manually recycle the bolt, the shell extracts.

I thought the "stickeyness" in the last part of movement backwards of the bolt would get better with cleaning but it doesn't seem to matter. I think that the bolt contacting the magazine on its forward movement is slowing it down enough so that it doesn't go into battery. That is when it manages to get past the magazine at all. I'm pretty much out of good ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
gun scrubber spray is your friend.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:48 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
77s want to be CLEANCLEANCLEAN. They are known for it. Take it down to component parts and then clean it again.

Not to sound obtuse, but they really are picky.

Good luck.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM
smallguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I have a really clean gun. Did as you guys advised but no joy. It is just beyond me why the bolt will partially hang up on the magazine on the forward stroke. I have absolutely no idea what I could have done to cause this. But I am getting better at taking it apart and putting it back together.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:24 PM
AK47Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Hornady One Shot will fix this...This is the ONLY cleaning solution I use on my Winchesters. Awesome stuff...!!!
Spray the entire bolt and trigger group with this..!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornady-999...53.m2749.l2649
Old 08-15-2019, 08:14 PM
wolfzinAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see that everyone assumes that your "Model 77" is a Winchester, is this the case? I believe I have inherited a Remington Nylon Model 77 Mohawk 10C. If this is your gun it does not like dirty firing (ususally bulk cartridges) fodder. It will fire about thirty before you need to either spray a cleaner in it or use "match-grade" cartridges. It fires the "clean stuff" all day, but action still needs to be cleaned after every outing. It's easy to disassemble, clean, lube with Otis Dry lube, and reassemble.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:42 AM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzinAZ View Post
I see that everyone assumes that your "Model 77" is a Winchester, is this the case? I believe I have inherited a Remington Nylon Model 77 Mohawk 10C. If this is your gun it does not like dirty firing (ususally bulk cartridges) fodder. It will fire about thirty before you need to either spray a cleaner in it or use "match-grade" cartridges. It fires the "clean stuff" all day, but action still needs to be cleaned after every outing. It's easy to disassemble, clean, lube with Otis Dry lube, and reassemble.
Being that the OP posted in the Winchester forum it is a safe bet that he is referencing a Winchester Model 77.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:42 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink i believe your nylon rifle is..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzinAZ View Post
EITHER a 77, apache 77 OR a Mohawk 10C. these are 3 different guns, what does your grip cap say ?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
Being that the OP posted in the Winchester forum it is a safe bet that he is referencing a Winchester Model 77.
+1
Old 08-17-2019, 11:12 AM
smallguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well yeah.
I may not know how to fix my problem, but I do know it's a Winchester.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Blue14

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Are you using a factory magazine or an aftermarket magazine and why I ask is because my Win 77 clip fed was doing the same as yours because of aftermarket magazine and I put a factory mag in it and now it feeds okay.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Fundy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1959 Model 77 (with the rarer tube-feed) does not like lead head bullets. It feeds 100% with brass-coated, high velocity rounds like CCI Mags or Aguila Super Extra. Polishing the feeding ramp helps...and it does like to be clean.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:37 PM
roysha

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
OK. Going to go pretty far out here, but this did happen to me.
I have a 77 detachable box magazine fed model that had a warped trigger guard. The plastic was warped so bad, that it was quite difficult to remove the magazine. I could push the magazine in a wee bit too far and it would stay at that position. This resulted in the same malfunction you are describing. I figured I had nothing to lose so I took the trigger guard out and filed the inside of the magazine "mortise" until the magazine would drop out freely. Reassembled and have not had a problem since.
Yeah, I know, these fancy, schmancy plastic parts aren't supposed to warp but, surprise, they do.