GSG 1911 22. My experiences - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:19 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GSG 1911 22. My experiences

I looked at the GSG 1911 22 the other day. It looks and feels like a standard Government Model, only 2 ounces lighter, and all the controls are the same. I researched it on line and found a lot of articles saying it was a very good gun to start off with.

I've had a number of GMs in .45 but this would be my first .22. Just looking at it I had to have one.

First day I cleaned it. Takes down much like it's big brother, and about 80 % of the parts are interchangeable. It feels like the 1911 except there is no recoil. A great training aid.

The first 300 rounds were CCI Patriot loads. 100% functional. I even shot some 36 grain hollow points with no trouble. I can't do that with my Ruger Mark III or IVs.

After about 1000 rounds including some dry fires ( now I know not to dry fire this gun) the firing pin broke. That's one way it's different from the GM. But I figured out how to take it down after watching a few videos on You Tube.

I've got the firing pin on order so for now m Mark IVs get their chance at the range.

The GSG just leads itself to be upgraded. I'm adding a better Safety and getting rid of the ambidextrous ones. I think I'm also going to get an adjustable sight.

If you are looking for another .22 you won't be disappointed. If you have one let me know your experience.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:00 PM
sansarcroad
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GSG 1911 22

I have the shorter 922 model, and have had good luck with it. Purchased used, it occasionally fails to ignite a round, which is probably more to do with tired springs or lack of cleaning or both.

These are a substantial gun that is adult sized, works the way the 1911 does and feels good in the hand. I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of mine, and I don't see a lot of complaining by owners. I have upgraded grips, removed the right side safety lever and will likely replace the port side lever with a more user friendly model.

Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Godofallu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own one I got in a trade. It's very unreliable and ammo picky. Looks and feels great... but if you can't get 10 shots off without a malfunction what's the point?

Cheap junk gun IMO and I would happily sell it for a loss if I could find someone to buy it and not feel guilty about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Steve E

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have had one since shortly after they came out and it is a fantastic gun, you can't shoot subsonic out of them but with regular high velocity stuff mine has been a shooting champ. I did have to do the 'spring' trick on my mags and since then they function perfectly. My slide stop did peen the slide some but stopped after it got so far. If I have kept track right mine has over 9 bricks with only spring replacements. It's a quality gun that can be recommended to anyone.

Steve........

Last edited by Steve E; 08-07-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:50 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The slide stop peening of the slide was one of my major concerns on the slide hold open on the last round out of the magazine, and I don't see that it has been resolved. Correct me if I am wrong. Are the newer guns better without this affliction?

I need this info for my SIL for when he wants to buy a 1911 .22. I already have mine on a steel frame that does not hold open the slide on the last round (1992 Ciener). It has a round firing pin tip so an occasional dry fire is not a problem.

You guys are the pros so I am relying on your expertise.

Jim
Old 08-07-2019, 07:56 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
I have had one since shortly after they came out and it is a fantastic gun, you can't shoot subsonic out of them but with regular high velocity stuff mine has been a shooting champ. I did have to do the 'spring' trick on my mags and since then they function perfectly. My slide stop did peen the slide some but stopped after it got so far. If I have kept track right mine has over 9 bricks with only spring replacements. It's a quality gun that can be recommended to anyone.

Steve........
If you want fire to subsonic ammo just use a Wolff 19# mainspring and it will function just fine. Been there and done that. The original 1911 .45 has a 23# mainspring, too stout for a blowback .22 .

Jim
Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have 2. I bought the first one specifically to modify the heck out of it. It was a winter project that has worked out great so far.
The second one is mostly stock, I changed the guide rod and the grips. It's my 22 semi auto plinker of choice. As long as it's kept sorta clean it shoots SV ammo just fine and it's pretty accurate with mini mags. I'll be changing out the sights eventually.
My 22 handgun collection is down to these 2 and 2 S&W 617s.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, today I got the GSG 1911 22 back together again and took it to the range to see if I fixed the problems correctly.

At my last outing I got off one shot and the gun died. When I got home I took it completely apart and found that the firing pin had broken and needed to be replaced.

While at it I added a CWAccessories Accurizing Kit. ( New bushing, rod, spring, plunger etc). This helped tighter up the groups. Now I'm waiting for the Adjustable Sights from CWA and I think I'm all done for now.

I fired 200 rounds of Blazer, 100 rounds of Aguila Extra and 50 rounds of CCI-SV. One Aguila did not fire, one SV had a failure to feed but the Blazers worked perfectly.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:14 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
SDJim, the Wolff #19 spring you recommended is for a 'real 1911', right? Not sure if the GSG works with real 1911 springs.
The GSG's seem to want HV to break in running wet and may take to SV after a bit. I dont have a lot of rounds through mine but clean and 'wet' it ran 2 experimental mags of SV (brand?) Ok but I dont mind running inexpensive bulk HV in it. Iirc someone online had tried some springs to run SV and ended up back with the oem.
I am not disappointed in mine at all at this point, it is good enough for what I do, easy enough to work on and with and has kept up with my good friends 'better guns' (should note that my friends arent snobs). I'd buy it again.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-10-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 AM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
SDJim, the Wolff #19 spring you recommended is for a 'real 1911', right? Not sure if the GSG works with real 1911 springs.
Yes, that is correct. I guess I assumed that it would work because it is supposed to have about 90% 1911 parts.

Jim
Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you've replaced the mainspring housing with one for the Government Model then the Wolf spring will work. Otherwise the springs for the GSG 1911 are longer. You can get them from CWAccessories.com in 18, 19 and 20 pounds to match the ammo you are using.

I'm still using the stock spring even though I put in the CWA enhanced kit.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:50 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
If you've replaced the mainspring housing with one for the Government Model then the Wolf spring will work. Otherwise the springs for the GSG 1911 are longer. You can get them from CWAccessories.com in 18, 19 and 20 pounds to match the ammo you are using.

OK, I am a bit confused. I have had a vid about removing the mag disconnect/safety on a GSG where the somewhat inept provider uses the GSG mainspring, the mainspring cap (on top), and the mainspring retainer (on bottom) using a 1911 flat MSH. I don't know if the mod compressed the GSG mainspring more or less. I am still thinking the Wolff 19# spring should work, unless it is larger in diameter than the GSG spring. It comes in a 3-pack with a 20# and a 21# for about $10. I would think one of the 3 would work for subsonic rounds.

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911...D1/mID1/dID1#2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IBHMGwhY58

Just my $.02 worth.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by sourdoughjim; 08-11-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdoughjim View Post
OK, I am a bit confused. I have had a vid about removing the mag disconnect/safety on a GSG where the somewhat inept provider uses the GSG mainspring, the mainspring cap (on top), and the mainspring retainer (on bottom) using a 1911 flat MSH. I don't know if the mod compressed the GSG mainspring more or less. I am still thinking the Wolff 19# spring should work, unless it is larger in diameter than the GSG spring. It comes in a 3-pack with a 20# and a 21# for about $10. I would think one of the 3 would work for subsonic rounds.

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911...D1/mID1/dID1#2

Just my $.02 worth.

Regards,

Jim
Jim,
Chet at cwaccesories.com as well as the gentleman that owns taylor tactical can answer your questions. I have found both of them to be very helpful.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:49 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had my GSG 1911 for about six years and 10000 rounds.
Couple years back installed this https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/...imate-package/ and upgraded the sights, all of which halved the group sizes.
Never had any issue with peening on the slide which still locks open firmly after last round, and using quality ammo I don't think I've had more that a couple dozen failures to fire out of the thousands I've fired.
I have a 1911 A1. The feel of the GSG is very similar, especially the trigger. As a trainer for the .45 it works great.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:36 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdoughjim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
If you've replaced the mainspring housing with one for the Government Model then the Wolff spring will work. Otherwise the springs for the GSG 1911 are longer. You can get them from CWAccessories.com in 18, 19 and 20 pounds to match the ammo you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneyboy View Post
Jim, Chet at cwaccesories.com can answer your questions.
I have never held, nor examined, a GSG. My only experience is from photos and vids. I do have about 3 decades of experience with 1911 GM/Commander models in .45, 9mm, .38 Super, and (stripped frame build) .22LR. (I still want an RIA 1911 in .22WMR!).

Although I have not personally contacted CWA, I still have questions.

https://www.cwaccessories.com/produc...on-tune-up-kit

Accordingly, CWA states:

"These are not standard 1911 aftermarket hammer springs which are longer than the GSG springs. These are designed specifically for the GSG/SIG 1911-22.", which contradicts AzShooter's post.

Also, CWA states the kit contains

"Three hammer springs: 18lb, 19lb & 20lb. 17 lb is stock."

It also contains a different magazine safety (ugh!) piece and spring for the MSH. I can only surmise that this must eliminate the "safety" feature that requires a mag to be inserted into the gun before the hammer can be dropped.

If the factory GSG mainspring is indeed 17#, and most owners say that they run best with HV ammo, why does CWA market 3 stiffer springs in addition to a reduced power firing pin spring? That runs counter to my 1911 intuition. If someone can explain that, I am all eyes/ears.

I have compared the two Wolff springs I have left (20# and 21#) with two GI 1911 23# .45 springs I have, and all 4 are different lengths (as much as 1/4" between the shortest Wolff and the longest GI), an have different coils at the spring ends.

Still scratching my head.

@gcrank1: I have a spare 1911 mainspring that I can send to you (freebie) in snail mail for you to compare against your GSG spring, primarily for purposes of spring diameter, if you wish. PM me with your mailing address, sir.

Regards,

Jim