Al, still impressive.

Wonderdog1
Old 08-08-2019, 01:24 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
doclu60,

Thanks for sharing your opinion, most people have one and that is what forums like this where designed for.

Wonderdog1
Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
the ammo in this cartridge sucks so bad
JMO....JME.
Their 22 ammo is nothing to write home about either from what I've read. That said I've read others have had good results with their 17WSM rifles vs you with yours. Like Winchester ammo Savage put out more than their share of B.Mag duds. The world today.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I am sure there will be a few fan boys comment about their wonderful shooting .17WSM rifles

Careful there...y'er liable to annoy someone.
Wait, pretty sure that's my job.

I was handed a Savage heavy barrel Bmag in the tupperware stock to try.
Picked up three boxes of each of the labels of the 17 wsm ammo.
Tried the rig as sold and was disappointed. Kept slinging strays.
Too much stock flex and movement of the receiver/barrel due to the injection molded inletting.
In order to determine what the ammunition was capable of I had to build another barrel block fuglie.
By eliminating the standard stock and using the barrel block rig,
I was able to produce some decent results at 200 yards.
Wouldn't happen with the rifle as shipped.

link to the BBBmag

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1135349

Last edited by jaia; 08-09-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Nothing against the fan club, but the group posted is what a good hunting rifle with good ammo should do at 100 yards, not 45. I finally got my abortion of a rifle out yesterday again (B-mag) after doing some more tuning. It's gotten better, but the ammo in this cartridge sucks so bad, it's difficult to tell how much better. I have gone through over 15 different lots and nothing has given consistent results. On the other hand, a benchrest buddy of mine has a VQ and a Ruger 77/17 and found a lot that shoots good in both so he went back to the store and bought out the entire lot. This was several years ago when they kept a large inventory of the round. I went there about a month ago and they only had 2 choices and only a couple of boxes of each. When I questioned the sales person his answer was, "hardly anyone buys the stuff so we cut inventory". He stated the cartridge was notorious for poor quality control and people have not been buying it enough to justify the overhead in keeping it stocked in bigger quantities. Now that's not me and my butt hurt opinion of the .17WSM and B-Mag being voiced here. That's the opinion of a very large outdoor product retailer talking.....Scheels. Found the same at Bass Pro, but didn't ask why the low stock. They only had what they had on the shelf, 3 boxes, 2 choices.

I know I have ticked off the fan club here before, but the fact of the matter is that those who have good shooting .17WSM rifles are in the minority. The large retailers must agree, hardly any stock. You can order internet ammo, but what is the chance that if you find a good lot that the big distributor sends out a warehouse guy to find more of the same lot for a larger purchase? Slim chance.

I can get, on occasion, three shots to go into a group similar to Al's 45yd group at 100yd. Like Al, I judge a rifle's performance by shooting 5 shots. Almost always 2 out of 5 will go WAY outside the group and sometimes in opposite directions. I shoot about 2 cases of RF ammo every year (10,000 rds). I know when I pull a shot, I know when I miss a condition (I run wind flags when I test or tune) and I know when ammo is at fault. Most all flyers are ammo with the .17WSM.

I firmly believe my B-Mag in it's current state of tune is better than it shoots. I also firmly believe the cartridge is destined to obscurity unless better, more consistent ammo is offered in the very near future. I am still leery of trying to shoot a coyote with mine. Will I get a good clean shot, or will the bullet fly out of it's intended impact point and leave me with a runner that I have to walk farther than Al setting 100 yard targets (I don't get around that well either) to retrieve? Worst yet, a cripple that goes so far I can't find it.

I am sure there will be a few fan boys comment about their wonderful shooting .17WSM rifles in response here. I am also certain there is about 10 or more shooters for each fan boy with experience with the round that don't even look at .17WSM forums anymore and say nothing. Those are the guys that used to buy the ammo at places that choose to keep very limited inventory on hand now......for a very good reason. Same reason a good friend of mine, a nationally known gunsmith, will NOT make single shot .17WSM rifle conversions any more. He built several, several years ago. Ammo performance didn't justify the premium rifle he builds.
JMO....JME.
Geez Scott, I know you're still mad at me for talking you into buying that Bmag, but come one bro, you don't have to result to calling me names. I been called a lot of things over the years, but never been called a fanboy. I am Vice President of the Bmag fan club held out of Al's garage though, so maybe it's appropriate.

Hey Scott, just so you don't spend all you money on gas driving all over the country trying to find the elusive "special super secret 17 WSM Lot #'s" I've already bought it all up and the only way I'll turn lose of any of it is if you know the secret hand shake and you have a super secret decoder ring.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:38 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Bryan, I enjoyed the phone conversation we had many months ago. I am not a bottom feeder though

Maybe a new thread, what's acceptable hunting accuracy of a B.Mag. Do I hear any motions in the B.Mag bottom feeder name calling section for a motion for a more succinct thread of B.Mag accuracy... anyone? Bueller? One slurp for aye, two for nay.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:20 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post

Maybe a new thread, what's acceptable hunting accuracy of a B.Mag. Do I hear any motions in the B.Mag bottom feeder name calling section for a motion for a more succinct thread of B.Mag accuracy... anyone? Bueller? One slurp for aye, two for nay.
Aye, Al!

My BMAG serves me well. And it is my main hunting rifle.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
This thread is starting to unravel a bit. ďPun intended Ē

Hopefully l didnít open a can of worms or unknowingly bring up some past disagreements in opinions. That was definitely NOT my intent!

Wonderdog1
Old 08-13-2019, 01:23 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
B-Mag's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the input, any chance you could post or send me a photo of it? I have a couple of Pro Varmint stocks on CZs and like the way they handle. What are using for a scope?

Wonderdog1
Red & Gray.jpg

Red 1.JPG

wonderdog 1,
sorry for the delay, been very busy at work,, here are a couple of pic's of my babies, the gray one is for hunting and the red one is for paper and hopeful maybe one day in my life span a PD hunt.... I really like the Pro Varmint stock....

Rick
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Rick,

Thanks so much for the Great photos! No worries on the being late stuff. I know how work can get in the way sometimes.

I have decided to go with the pepper (gray) Pro Varmint stock. Like I stated in another post l have had four different Boydís stocks, two of which are the Pro Varmint. Your red one is really an eye catcher! From what I have seen pics. of the pepper can be a real light or darker color. Iím good either way, so líll just have to wait and see what shows up.

You mentioned PD shooting, now your talking my language! It and ground squirrels are a real hoot. My go to gun for them has been a 17 hmr. until this year when l discovered what a 17 wsm. is capable of. Just beware once you try it your hooked. At least l sure am.

Wonderdog1
Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
My go to gun for them has been a 17 hmr. until this year when l discovered what a 17 wsm is capable of. Just beware, once you try it, your hooked. At least l sure am.

Wonderdog1
This is kind of funny, I was just talking to a guy last night about this very subject. He has some really nice 17 HMR rifles, but recently purchased a Ruger 77 17 WSM and now that he's been shooting his new 17 WSM for awhile he fears his 17 HMR's will become safe queens.

I've got a couple 17 HMR's, a SS HB thumbhole laminated stock Sav 93/17 that is now mostly a backup or loaner gun and my A17 gets used mostly as a plinker. I've thought about selling them but I've still got more cases of 17 HMR ammo the shelf than I care to admit, so I guess I'll just hang on to them awhile longer because my 17 HMR ammo supply isn't going down very fast.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One moa is my acceptable accuracy level for hunting ground squirrels.
I have this spring acquired 2 17 wsmís, a Bmag noodle barrel in a laminate stock, and a Ruger 77/17 with 24Ē barrel. Disappointed in both. My Tikka 17 hmr has become my hunter, far, far more accurate than the wsm. So I am working on the Bmag that was shooting 2-3 moa or worse, and itís better, almost 1 moa now but not quite. Havenít started on the Ruger yet.

It has been my very limited experience that 17 hmr rifles are very accurate in quite a few different makes of rifles with the ammo available. 17 wsmís are much more hit and miss. A friend with the same Ruger 77/17 does very well with his 17wsm, 6 pound trigger and all. Mine is 2 moa and Iíve installed a better trigger. Bolt is really hard to work most of the time, but if I was driving tacks I wouldnít mind. Those ground squirrels look pretty small out where the 17wsm has the advantage, so 2moa wonít cut it.

My experience so far.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 AM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Rick,

Thanks so much for the Great photos! No worries on the being late stuff. I know how work can get in the way sometimes.

I have decided to go with the pepper (gray) Pro Varmint stock. Like I stated in another post l have had four different Boydís stocks, two of which are the Pro Varmint. Your red one is really an eye catcher! From what I have seen pics. of the pepper can be a real light or darker color. Iím good either way, so líll just have to wait and see what shows up.

You mentioned PD shooting, now your talking my language! It and ground squirrels are a real hoot. My go to gun for them has been a 17 hmr. until this year when l discovered what a 17 wsm. is capable of. Just beware once you try it your hooked. At least l sure am.

Wonderdog1
Wonderdog1,
PD hunting has always been my dream hunt, every time in my life I started planning a solo hunt or trying to hook up with a friend, something always came up and I had to cancel. This coming summer or whenever those PD's are ready to be hunted, I hope to be able to go try them!!! So, your phone may buzz!!!
Rick
Old 08-14-2019, 10:33 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky9x22 View Post
Wonderdog1,
PD hunting has always been my dream hunt, every time in my life I started planning a solo hunt or trying to hook up with a friend, something always came up and I had to cancel. This coming summer or whenever those PD's are ready to be hunted, I hope to be able to go try them!!! So, your phone may buzz!!!
Rick
You know how some folks get real quiet when it comes to talking about their honey whole fishing spot or that non existent place where they find all those morel mushrooms?

Wonderdog1
Old 08-14-2019, 11:35 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You know how some folks get real quiet when it comes to talking about their honey whole fishing spot or that non existent place where they find all those morel mushrooms?

Wonderdog1