Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:25 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
New Savage B Mag

Just purchased a 17 WSM B-Mag Heavy Barrel. I haven’t picked it up yet, but just trying to get some knowledge from those that already have one.

It has the Tupperware stock, so one of the first things is to get a Boyds stock for it. Is the thumbhole stock the one l should be thinking about or a different model? My plans are to be mostly shooting it from a rest of some kind.

Any advice on the stock or any other mods. would be appreciated. Almost forgot, l plan on mounting a Bushnell 4200 6x24 scope on it. I think it has a 44 mm bell on the scope. What rings should l be looking for?

Thanks
Wonderdog1

Last edited by wonderdog1; 08-02-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:36 PM
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post
Just purchased a 17 WSM B-Mag Heavy Barrel. I haven’t picked it up yet, but just trying to get some knowledge from those that already have one.

It has the Tupperware stock, so one of the first things is to get a Boyds stock for it. Is the thumbhole stock the one l should be thinking about or a different model? My plans are to be mostly shooting it from a rest of some kind.

Any advice on the stock or any other mods. would be appreciated. Almost forgot, l plan on mounting a Bushnell 4200 6x24 scope on it. I think it has a 44 mm bell on the scope. What rings should l be looking for?

Thanks
Wonderdog1
hey buddy,
on my second Bmag I did the same thing. I was choosing between the thumbhole & the Pro Varmint from Boyds. I went with the Pro Varmint in red color/applejack maybe? it sits good in the bags.... good luck in your choice! either one will be fine!
Rick
Old 08-03-2019, 12:19 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky9x22 View Post
hey buddy,
on my second Bmag I did the same thing. I was choosing between the thumbhole & the Pro Varmint from Boyds. I went with the Pro Varmint in red color/applejack maybe? it sits good in the bags.... good luck in your choice! either one will be fine!
Rick
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the input, any chance you could post or send me a photo of it? I have a couple of Pro Varmint stocks on CZs and like the way they handle. What are using for a scope?

Wonderdog1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 12:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My HB SS Bmag came with the crappy plastic stock also and the very first thing I did was put a Boyd's Pro Varmint on it. I bought my stock from DIP Inc. because they had one already in stock and I didn't have to wait. I also bought the all metal trigger guard from DIP Inc as well. It's much nicer than the crappy plastic trigger guard they come with from the factory. I'm not a fan of two piece scope mounts so I got the one piece picatinny rail from DIP Inc too. Dip Inc usually has everything in stock so there is no waiting, but, if you want a specific laminate pattern, you'll have to order it from Boyd's because all DIP Inc has is the black ones.
https://www.diproductsinc.com/Default.aspx

When you are ready to swap your stocks, it's VERY important you remember to remove the escutcheon from you old stock and put it in the new stock. I found 18 in.lbs of torque on the action screws to work the best for me.

This is how my Bmag turned out with all the above parts and maybe one of two other pieces as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 WSM.jpg (350.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got to an LGS and see if a thumbhole is for you. They're nice but a radical change.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:05 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
B23

Your B-Mag in the Pro Varmint stock looks “Great” just the look l was after.
I see you have added a different bolt handle. It appears it would be more user friendly than the stock one. Did you get it from DIP as well? I read somewhere that the bolt throw on the “stock” handle would come into contact with the scope and you needed to go with higher rings. I’m guessing here, but yours appear to be Burris mediums ?? I appreciate the info and you posting a photo, it really helped with my decision.

Al, that’s a great idea on the thumb hole stock, but no one in my area has one on a B Mag in stock. I have a couple Pro Varmint stocks on some other guns and really like them, so that will probably be the direction l go.

Thanks

Wonderdog1
Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To my eyes, the barrel rings as well as the fugly bolt handle on my Bmag was just a little more than I could bear, so one of them had to go.

The bolt handle on my Bmag started life as a bolt handle from Glades Armory that they sell for the Bmag, but, for some reason Glades Armory thinks the bolt knob needs to be crazy extra large and not only does it hinder your finger from getting on the trigger but IMO it just looks stupid being so large. I had my gunsmith cut a little off the end to shorten it, as well as, he turned down the outside diameter in his lathe. It works pretty well now and doesn't look so silly.

I don't exactly recall which scope rings I used, they are either Burris or Weaver, I think. lol The nice thing about using a once piece picatinny rail is it gives you LOTS of options for scope rings as well as location of where you mount your scope. I think a one piece rail also adds rigidity to the action as well.

Also, I'm not sure how much you've read about the Savage Bmag, but if you've read much about them at all or if you've ever handled one, you already should know, they are far from a high quality gun. The HB models seem to generally shoot well, but high quality they are not. In fact, I would have to say my HB SS Bmag is EASILY the lowest quality gun I've EVER owned and I often refer to mine as the gun I love to hate, BUT, the dam thing shoots crazy good and I've actually grown to like it, a lot! I've shot sage rats with it out to some crazy far distances and once I got used to it's oddball quirks, they don't seem to bother me much.

Soooooo, if you didn't know before, you do now, so don't be like some that have went ahead and bought one of these things, get it, then come back on here and talk about what a low quality POS the Bmag is.

Last edited by B23; 08-03-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like mine, Glades handle n all.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1564889252
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00115_zps9w7fsqoe.jpg (179.7 KB, 258 views)
Old 08-04-2019, 05:51 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got to like that, Al!
Old 08-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Got to like that, Al!

The target doesn't look like it but I always shoot 5 rds or more.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:29 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Great shooting Al! You are setting a pretty high bar for the rest of us.

B23, yeah l have read the B mag has had some issues in the past and can be a little quirky. The main reason for me getting one is for the 17 wsm cal. Also a back up gun to my Volquartsen wsm. A friend got one before our last PD/squirrel shoot and really liked it. Then l got on Gunbroker and Shooter Supply is unloading a ton of them on there and just couldn’t pass on one for the price.

Wonderdog1
Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Ponyroper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Wonderdog,
Here is a picture of my Savage BMag with a thumbhole Boyd's stock. It was kind of like marrying a pretty girl that can't cook. With the plastic Savage stock I was getting .5-.75" groups but after going to the Boyd's stock it went up to .75-1.5". I tried everything to get better groups but finally had to go back to the old stock. I'm sure a better more experienced shooter would have been able to tune the gun to the Boyd's stock but that's not me. For now the Boyd's stock is a safe queen. I also tried a Gates bolt but my hands are too big and it was in the way of gripping the stock and getting under the bolt to cycle the next round so it was back to the old bolt. I really like the gun but it started out as a legitimate 250-300 yard prairie dog popper and I've made it into a 100-150 yard gun. It's still a lot of fun but I don't waste shells on targets over 200 yards anymore. Hope you have better luck.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Ponyroper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are a few groups I shot with the Savage stock. One thing you may notice is that the first shot groups are always the biggest. I've found that my HBSS BMag wants to be hot and dirty. The groups get tighter as the barrel gets hot for some reason. I've had the barrel so hot some times when Pdog hunting that I couldn't touch it and it shot great. The first 2 or 3 rounds from a clean barrel look like they came from a 12 gauge instead of a rifle. The last picture of the three is a ten shot sighting check I did one day from 30 yards. The 3 holes marked with blue ink were part of the first 5 shots and the big hole in the middle are the other 2 and the last 5 shots of the second group. That tells you what the gun is capable of doing.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Ponyroper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh by the way, even though Winchester makes all the .17 WSM ammo there are HUGE variations in performance from box to box. The best I could get from some lots was 1.5-2.0" and from a different lot I might get .5-1.0". Very frustrating. I've put almost 1500 rounds through this gun in the last couple of years and clearly seen the patterns.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdog1 View Post
Great shooting Al! You are setting a pretty high bar for the rest of us.
Mine was 45yds as my back and legs don't like hoofing 100yds just for target shooting, especially with snow on the uneven ground like that day.