Old 08-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)

c
Quote:
Originally Posted by John45 View Post
First off, I'm very new at RFBR shooting. I have a very good rifle, or it should be, and a Pappas rest. I was less than impressed with the Hopewell method because it seemed there were too many shots in the ranges used that I felt a good tune could be lost in the mid ranges of that recommended method. That's my engineering brain working I guess.

Well I did use the Hopewell on my first attempt and feel my worries about it were justified as I could not really determine what the best range was to narrow the testing down. Spent a lot of time an a lot of ammo chasing what MIGHT be the right area to further test. Now I know some of you could figure that out but I couldn't.

So I looked at the sticky above my Mozella. It's long and detailed but it made sense. three shots into each bull using one turn at a time. Now I can see what's really happening with each 25 licks of the tuner. I didn't do all the plotting etc just eyeballed the results, it really is obvious. I did mic some groups in the area that showed promise however just out of curiosity.

now I feel I really found a good area to further test and refine those results. In my way of thinking, if three shots were not going to be in about the same hole, or close to it, it was not something to look at. With 10 shots, as in the Hopewll method, fired at the same bull you can miss some sweet spots.

If you're struggling with this tuning game look at Mozella's sticky and try it. He was using a Lowey tuner, I am using a Harrell. For me it was just what I was needing to help me. The first full range of the test used 51 rounds. Now it's down to refining the results which look extremely promising.

One other thing. I was also seeing how a J&J slide worked compared to the bare Harrell. So I did the test twice. While it's far from scientific, from just looking at the results using just the bare tuner and the tuner with the Harrell it definitely showed a tightening of almost all groups with the Slide. But what caught my attention was the sweet spot range shown with the slide I got the same sweet spot range without the slide. But the group was slightly tighter with the slide.
John, I would refine it and use only 5-clicks, IMO going 1 complete revolution (25-clicks) makes it possible to miss that setting that will really shoot and the one you are after.

Lee
Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 AM
John45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I was planning on doing that over the ranges that look promising. And re your other comment about groups that is a very good point. I am going to look at the fine tuning with a different light now.

When I purchased this rifle, it was only 2 years old, the gentleman I bought it from included the tuner testing Killough had done with it. I see now, after your comment, that once they found something promising they only moved the tuner one click at a time for several clicks and then continued when that showed it resulting in larger CC to groups as they progressed. then they went in 25 click increments until another spot was found and went to one click at a time for a bit. then continued on with 25 click settings for testing. Once the got to 150 no more groups showed promising and they continued at 25 clicks out to 500. So far my best results, in groups and with scores has been at 318, so they did miss something with the way they did it. The 318 number works with both the bare tuner and the J&J slide which I thought was interesting. I'm now trying to confirm are not the 318 setting.

For sure this is not a science, it's an art. My brain works more on science so this is a bit tricky for me. But I feel it's coming along. Thanks for you suggestions and comments.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John45 View Post
I was planning on doing that over the ranges that look promising. And re your other comment about groups that is a very good point. I am going to look at the fine tuning with a different light now.

When I purchased this rifle, it was only 2 years old, the gentleman I bought it from included the tuner testing Killough had done with it. I see now, after your comment, that once they found something promising they only moved the tuner one click at a time for several clicks and then continued when that showed it resulting in larger CC to groups as they progressed. then they went in 25 click increments until another spot was found and went to one click at a time for a bit. then continued on with 25 click settings for testing. Once the got to 150 no more groups showed promising and they continued at 25 clicks out to 500. So far my best results, in groups and with scores has been at 318, so they did miss something with the way they did it. The 318 number works with both the bare tuner and the J&J slide which I thought was interesting. I'm now trying to confirm are not the 318 setting.

For sure this is not a science, it's an art. My brain works more on science so this is a bit tricky for me. But I feel it's coming along. Thanks for you suggestions and comments.
John, If the 318 setting shoots good with and without the slide (with exception of POI change) this may be the setting you are looking for. how to tell, if you have other settings that shoot good , try the slide on and off and see if you get the same results as the 318 setting.

Lee