GSG 110 rd drum for Ruger 1022 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:56 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GSG 110 rd drum for Ruger 1022

A while back, I bought a GSG 110 rd drum for my Ruger rifle with a Scottworx Thompson conversion. While the drum seems to be well made and sturdy, the feed lips are not made very well. I have a couple of 10/22 rifles and the drum has feeding problems with both guns. Both of the rifles work perfectly with the 10 rd and 25 rd Ruger mags. I will probably put the GSG drum on GB and get whatever I can back out of it! Live and learn. Don't waste your money! I have another .22 that uses a 50 rd steel drum and I am looking at it to see if I can modify it to work with the Ruger action. More to follow.

Last edited by Area51guy; 08-01-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:04 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I too built a Tommy Gun.. for a friend. And he had purchased two of the GSG's. After I finished the build I inserted the BADM (BigAssDrumMag) and tried the action.. found that they ride too high and needed some off the top of each rail and a slight chamfer/ramp at the front and rear of each rail .. slowly and methodically with a file and some 400 grit and then a final polish with Dremel and silicone wheel I got them both to cycle and run like a top.. now, occasionally near the 90th-100th round they hang or miss-feed but for the most part they run great.. I never filled to max.. stopped at 100. So, if you don't want to tune them they are a waste of money.. but, with some effort they can/do run.

Last edited by Chaser; 07-31-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That's useful information Chaser thank you. I've got a 10-22 gatling gun (TacSol kit) and bought 2 of these mags for it...haven't tried them yet but I'll keep your advice in mind if I have trouble.

Frank

P.S. That's a sweet looking little 10-22 Tommy gun you built!

Last edited by LtCrunch; 07-31-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 07:31 PM
Lupey
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have one and like chaser had to tweak it a little and it is %%%% near flawless, I only load 100 rds in it. I had that conversion kit but the drum never fit well in it, the conversion has nothing on the sides to support the gsg. I got rid of the conversion kit. Man when I had my bumpfire (freaking govt), I loved the gsg mag. Made life fun.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Agreed Lupey, on the TacSol gatling gun kit the mags cantilevered out both sides makes for feeding issues. Especially in the action facing up where the cases are fighting gravity during ejection.

The drum mags sure do look cool though! But if they won't run I've got plenty of 25 and 50 round stick mags for it. Worth giving Chaser's advice a try anyway.

Frank

Frank
Old 10-13-2019, 04:52 PM
mikeAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gsg 110 drum....my experiences...

They almost got the best of me!!!!.... My buddie's highly modified 10/22 has several 110 rd drums that work 100% with cci mini mags. He can shoot till he empties the drums, yet those same drums WILL NOT run in my newer 10/22???. We shoot in competition, and the clock is running... I believe I have found the main problem....My gun is mostly stock. The gsg drum locks into the receiver too tightly with no fore/aft movement...This lack of movement will not let the bolt ride over the top of the drum feed lips on it"s way into lockup!!...Upon inspection of my receiver, I saw that there was a poorly machined entry hole in the forward mag locking hole. With a simple pen knife I cleared some steel material from the BOTTOM of the receiver opening. I also gently filed the top left side of one drum in an attempt t0 free up more fore/aft movement.....(Interestingly, you must lock the bolt open before inserting the loaded gsg drum BUT ANY other brand of mag can be cycled WITHOUT locking the bolt)... My conclusion from this is that the gsg drum locks into the 10/22 receiver HIGHER than ANY other mag and more clearance is needed...

Last edited by mikeAZ; 10-13-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeAZ View Post
They almost got the best of me!!!!.... My buddie's highly modified 10/22 has several 110 rd drums that work 100% with cci mini mags. He can shoot till he empties the drums, yet those same drums WILL NOT run in my newer 10/22???. We shoot in competition, and the clock is running... I believe I have found the main problem....My gun is mostly stock. The gsg drum locks into the receiver too tightly with no fore/aft movement...This lack of movement will not let the bolt ride over the top of the drum feed lips on it"s way into lockup!!...Upon inspection of my receiver, I saw that there was a poorly machined entry hole in the forward mag locking hole. With a simple pen knife I cleared some steel material from the BOTTOM of the receiver opening. I also gently filed the top left side of one drum in an attempt t0 free up more fore/aft movement.....(Interestingly, you must lock the bolt open before inserting the loaded gsg drum BUT ANY other brand of mag can be cycled WITHOUT locking the bolt)... My conclusion from this is that the gsg drum locks into the 10/22 receiver HIGHER than ANY other mag and more clearance is needed...
Correct.. and if ya read my post I fixed that by slowly and carefully filling the top rails of the feed lips till they run smooth.. finish with 400 to 800 grit or polishing with a Dremel. The thing you don't want to do.. you did. By changing/creating more room you may have got the Receiver out of spec. thus your other OEM mags may not run.. or fit tight.. or not.. NEVER change/alter the Receiver.

Last edited by Chaser; 11-02-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:50 PM
Jason200911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok so if gsg 110 rd mags fit in a ruger 1022, and they also fit in a gsg mp5 variants.
Does this mean that the mp5 variants can take a bx25 mag and other ruger 1022 mags?
Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
I've got one GSG 110rd 10/22 drum, and I've been very happy with it. Wish I'd gotten another since I got mine on sale for about $40. With good ammo (CCI, Federal) it's extremely reliable, with bad ammo (Winchester) it isn't.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:25 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
I've got one GSG 110rd 10/22 drum, and I've been very happy with it. Wish I'd gotten another since I got mine on sale for about $40. With good ammo (CCI, Federal) it's extremely reliable, with bad ammo (Winchester) it isn't.
THIS with good ammo (CCI, Federal) it's extremely reliable
Old 11-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Tank Mechanic
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason200911 View Post
Ok so if gsg 110 rd mags fit in a ruger 1022, and they also fit in a gsg mp5 variants.
Does this mean that the mp5 variants can take a bx25 mag and other ruger 1022 mags?
No. The drums are made specifically for the 10-22. GSG MP-5 has a different neck on the mag.

I have 2 of the drums and they have worked flawlessly for me. Almost exclusively shot Federal automatch through them. Loaned one to my son. He and his brother in law put a lot of rounds through it. Brands unknown.