Gun Safes > Number Pad or Dial? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:33 PM
AntiSpin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Some time ago I did a massive amount of research on the quality of safes.

My conclusion was that -- as has been expressed up above -- truly effective safes are going to be expensive.

And in addition -- and I have not seen this mentioned here -- the most guarantee you can have that your safe will not be cracked is to get one with the glass plate system behind the dial.

I won't go into the details here, but you can look it up -- dial safe with glass plate -- anyone drilling into the safe will lock it up so badly that you yourself will have enormous difficulty and will use enormous amounts of time trying to get into it, and will most likely have to call in the technicians from the manufacturer.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 AM
ChanceMcCall

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspdog View Post
Dials are best but keypads are quicker and easier to remember for old farts like me.
Second
Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 AM
oxbowmann
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
number pad

Yup, I have a number pad with all the electronics. Had it for 20 years. Other than changing the battery once a year, on New Years Day along with those in smoke detectors and thermostat, I have never had a problem. If you need to get into the safe quickly, then its the only way to go. I'm generally not a fan of fancy gizmos, but this is simple and straight forward technology. Might even say "old" twentieth century technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 06:41 AM
Jester896
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are advantages on both sides. Dial locks are slower but maintenance intervals are necessary to make them run 100+ years..mechanical things will eventually wear out. Electronic locks are not serviceable and like so many other things today a throw away item. Some of them offer multi user options and each individual using it can have their own number to access. The higher end units even have hold up options.

The electronics I've seen described here for the most part with the exception of the S&G are low end imported crap. If it has a key override and batteries inside is isn't high quality. The higher quality locks the battery/batteries are on the outside. Just because is has batteries on the outside doesn't mean it is higher quality either. NL and Securam are the lower end with batteries on the outside. LaGard and S&G are the better is electronics. What causes most electronic failures is pressure from the bolt work in the safe. S&Gs Z series take some of that out of play like found on Liberty Safes as well as some others.

I see a glass relocker plate mentioned. Most of the higher end gun safe units use a Rockwell C60 or harder plate. Glass relocker plates and ball bearing relocker plates are generally found in high end jewelers safes or money safes. Some of the lower end units I see mention don't have relocking systems in them.

It is just a matter of preference as to which you buy.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:17 AM
shooter2bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I talked to the manufacture's salesman about reliability of the two types years ago and he said there was about 1% fail on the dial, and 2% fail on the pad. I bought the dial.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ditto the Combo Dial
Old 08-02-2019, 11:25 AM
claybuster
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to claybuster
My Security Products safe opens with a couple of conventional keys & I prefer it. I can keep track of where I stashed the keys much easier than I can remember a combination & I sure don't want to rely on an electronic locking system.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM
scout7
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Digital keypad on the quick access safe and dial combination on the collectible and target implement safe? Best of both worlds.
Old Today, 08:05 AM
Mac-man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It actually makes no difference as I can see. If the burglar wants the safe opened the gun pointed at your wife's head will do the trick.

Last edited by Mac-man; Today at 08:09 AM.