Gun Safes > Number Pad or Dial? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gun Safes > Number Pad or Dial?

I like the manual dial. I guess I just don't trust electronics, and don't really see the advantage to something when it introduces the possibility that something could go wrong?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 07-30-2019, 04:46 AM
edspdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
safe

Dials are best but keypads are quicker and easier to remember for old farts like me.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:07 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had both and like my dial system the best. It's faster to access and if the battery dies there is a key to use to open the safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 11:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had both. I like the pad. Don't worry, you get a long time warning when the battery gets low, and they can be worked in the dark. I also wipe the key pad clean everytime I use it, or it can be easily figured out what numbers you use.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've worked in "high tech" my entire life.

I don't trust electronics, and computers (and DETEST them in cars!).

Dial - 100 years from now it'll still work just fine, the electronic gizmo will not.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Dial.

I haven't looked at keypad safes in a long time, so am not familiar with the key bypass function. If it has a key bypass, why bother with a number pad?

I won't mention any names, but a few years back, a well known gun writer had a keypad safe from a well known manufacturer in which the keypad failed due to a broken wire at a solder joint. He contacted the manufacturer that wanted an obscene amount of money to come service the safe in his isolated part of the world. After going around with the manufacturer several times and finally calling them out publicly on the net, they came to terms and his safe was serviced.

Ever since then, I have been weary of keypad safes. Don't like the idea of the electronics failing and not having access to the tools inside.

Dial safes aren't fool proof either, and from what I understand both types need occasional maintenance to keep them operating reliably.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 PM
ChefDuane
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My safe is a keypad. I do like it but it does introduce more electronic complexity, and I am ALWAYS wary about the battery going dead. When the Low-Batt light comes on I am on it immediately.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by or_slacker View Post
I've had both. I like the pad. Don't worry, you get a long time warning when the battery gets low, and they can be worked in the dark. I also wipe the key pad clean everytime I use it, or it can be easily figured out what numbers you use.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Place I worked at had a keypad for the security gate entry. Wouldn't be hard to figure out which 4 numbers as they were well worn.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:09 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've tried both but lean towards a dial versus keypad. Keypads wear and batteries fail.

Seen a couple models where they house a 9V battery into the keypad housing. Having it that way puts it all on you to have a replacement battery on hand.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
My Stack-On safe has a digital keypad but it also has a crazy looking mechanical key bypass. I'm a Electro-Mechanical guru of 46 years and while I generally hold computers in contempt, I like the keypad. Not that it mattered as the keypad version was the only one on sale back on black Friday. Otherwise I would have gotten the dial type. My Dad's safe is a dial one with a weird way of dialing the combination. Never know from one time to the next whether it'll work on the first try or need a couple of tries. Persistence eventually triumphs. Either way, they'll only keep the less prepared criminals at bay, so go with what is easier for you.

Hoot
Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
Dial.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Dial - 100 years from now it'll still work just fine, the electronic gizmo will not.
Yep... I might not work, but it will.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:26 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
I like the manual dial. I guess I just don't trust electronics, and don't really see the advantage to something when it introduces the possibility that something could go wrong?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Agreed, electronics can and WILL fail. Having a key option is STUPID. Why have a dial or keypad if the safe can be opened with a key? Here is the realty, the electronic keypad is cheaper to manufacture. End of story. Additional sarcasm withheld.

Has anyone been stuck on the road side with a vehicle that simply stop running. I tell you, I worked in the automotive electronics for a while. Those components are nasa grade, minus the redundancy. Or Boeing dream liner crash. Again, order of magnitude higher production standards. I am typing on a computer where the 'E' key pad cover poped off. Traction control on my jeep is hosed. I had to unplug a sensor to disable the system. Hint for Boeing, you need a kill switch! The Jeep has a kill switch, it does not work. Hint for Boeing, the switch has to work.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have several, all with a S&G dual lock.

Ive helped a friend change a couple of his locks, from electronic to manual dials.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:57 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dial all the way. Especially with a key backup.
From a pervious post describing my experience, and what I ended up doing:

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************************
So safes like yours are excellent for keeping children and family members away from your firearms.
They will even dissuade some thieves, especially if you have it bolted to the floor.

However when my safes electronic keypad failed, and the locksmith wanted several hundred dollars to open it, and a couple of hundred more if I wanted the lock replaced, I did this instead.
Had to preform an Gunectomy.
It took mere minutes to cut through.
Took it back to Costco and they gave me a full refund.
I now lock my firearms up in my reloading room (no safe), and have an Allstate sport equipment rider good for $25,000 per occurance (not per year) that covers the firearms and accessories like scopes and mounts.

It covers theft anywhere, Fire, and even if you just drive away with one of your guns on the roof and don't realize it until your back at home! It also covers damage like dropping it.
It's an all peril rider, and runs less than $100.00 per year.

To pick up a safe that would really protect them from fire, and would be way harder to cut into would run $3000- $5000.
That's 30years of rider payments, and a safe would not cover damage or just loosing it.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-30-2019 at 01:24 PM.