Model 17-3 TT & TH - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (233)
Model 17-3 TT & TH

I have had a Model 17-3 since 1979 (40 years! and still pristine) and for many of the later years wanted a target trigger and target hammer to replace the standard versions. I have searched the internet far and wide for a source with no luck. I'm assuming I could send it in to S&W for them to do the job. But I would expect the price to be very substantial and I've read more than a few comments about Smith's current abysmal customer service and repair work, so I'm hesitant to go down that road. Any suggested sources?

Doug
Old 07-29-2019, 08:27 PM
lscocoa
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you haven’t tried gun parts Corp. give them a try . Ebay seems to be a good place for parts also . Brownells and Midway USA might have them to , which I have purchased various parts from . I would recommend going on Brownells sight and messaging them to find out what parts are inter changeable with the 17-3 . I have done this multiple times and if they have something in stock they’ll give you all the info you need to get it. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I was able to purchase a NOS Target hammer for my 17-3 off ebay a while ago but I had looked for several months before it turned up . They are on there if you are patient and keep looking . Another place you could try is the Smith & Wesson Forum. There are some pretty helpful people there .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 10:12 PM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Triggers and hammers are fitted parts. Unless you are capable of fitting the contact parts of the two, you need to find a set that has been removed from a K-frame 22.
Even then some adjustments may be required. I doubt that S&W will do the job because they are no longer using these parts in new gun and they may not have the old case hardened parts that you need.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:41 AM
hammerless-12

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The case hardened .500 target hammers are getting somewhat difficult to find as they are unique to the 22 rimfire. The case hardened triggers are still plentiful as the same trigger was used in many revolver models. I have installed them in many of my revolvers through the years and just finished up a 17-4 with the .500 target hammer and trigger. It is not a big deal. If any fitting is required it is very minimal, most times I have installed these they did not require any fitting at all.
If you are serious try and find new old stock parts. Many used parts such as found on eBay are or have been messed with and are no longer useable. Look to pay about $80.00 each. At least that's what I paid a couple months ago.
Run a few WTB " want to buy" adds on this forum as well as any other gun forums you might be a member of. One good one is the Smith & Wesson forum. You'll find what you want.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:12 PM
SquirrelPilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TH and TT are definitely part of the experience of having a fine quality target revolver. They provide a lot of texture and feedback, giving you precise control. The target stocks I care less about, since they don't really fit my hand that well.

Some people do not like the wide target trigger and hammer. Maybe the OP could trade with somebody who prefers the standard hammer and trigger.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I would be hesitant about sending it to S&W, for the concerns that we all know.
Not that it's a huge deal, but they would also be replacing your parts with current MIM parts.

...great minds think alike. My favorite revolver was a 17-4 3T gun, though it later got custom Culina grips.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:42 PM
bocash3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another thought:

Yes, TT and TH just feel so good when shooting, especially single-action.

There are currently 9 model 17's in the stable and 5 of them have the TT and TH. The 4 "pre-" 17 pieces do not, but I will not touch them in spite of knowing how to change out triggers, etc. The 2 "pre's" I shoot the most have Tyler Trigger Shoes installed.

Just a thought: KEEP your current 17 as-is.

Search out another one with the TT and TH. The investment and time (and maybe worry) you put into changing your parts out will warrant the investment into another one with the parts you seek....and they will have been installed at the factory!

**(I tend to hoard them. They are all "Masterpieces!" One has to at least have them in Pairs!)

Good luck in whatever you do!

Bo and western NC

Last edited by bocash3; 09-30-2019 at 11:44 PM.