Oasis GB-460 Borescope? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:07 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Does anyone here have this Oasis model and are you happy with it?

YT-Video Link: https://youtu.be/NoI5lIvllHk

After a minor repair, working on one of my .22 rifles recently, I couldn't remember if I had done a full cleaning. I had a cotton swab handy and gently ran it partway into the chamber, looking for residue, when I felt what I thought was the "dreaded carbon ring".

As most already know, no amount of light and magnification, from the outside, does a good job looking into barrels. Sure, you can see in a little ways, but far too much is left to be desired, thus my search/research has begun for a "decent borescope" (a good buy for the $ that can do the job I need, which is mostly cleaning related, but need to check the safety of 1 inherited rifle, & a couple of others to see if they're shot out).

I have a lot of .22 caliber (& "similar" - .223) firearms, some with a 22" barrel (and either no breech access or the added length of the action to contend with), so I'd prefer a scope with a little more reach than the Lyman. Granted a 24" scope is a little less than I'd like to have, but from what I've read and seen, the 4mm Oasis GB-460 should do what I need, and the $200 price seems hard to beat. I also like that it comes with a 90-degree-viewing mirror (4.5mm or 0.177" O.D.) than can be removed. I have no desire to spend bigger bucks on a Hawkeye, at least not at this time, so my sights are set lower - under $500.

Two Amazon reviewers made some good points about this scope (I didn't try to verify all the claims in the 2nd remarks, but there are truths in them):

1]. "Because you supply the video monitor, Oasis was able to put the money saved into the scope and optics."

2]. "I bought this product after my other digital borescope, made by a big reloading and gun related company, crapped out after a few weeks of use. The problem with that borescope was that it's an endoscope permanently mounted in a stainless steel brake line or something like that. The camera lens has no protection and is smaller than a poppy seed and is recessed. So when you get ANY liquid in it besides water, it's junked. It won't work and you can't clean it nor can you disassemble it to clean it. That's how mine broke. Fast forward to buying this borescope. It has a focus knob to focus on anything tight against the camera to across the room. It's much more versatile. Secondly it uses a computer screen that's about 4x bigger than the other popular digital borescope. Thirdly and most importantly the mirrors are removable so if they break you can replace or clean or change the view and access the camera lens for easy cleaning because the lens is a non recessed large protective cover. Long story short this is a better borescope in every way in my opinion."

Note: I would not be buying the optional Wi-Fi box as I have an Android phone and 17" laptop I can use.

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 10-04-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Interesting, I will have to look for reviews. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:38 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're welcome sir. I had trouble finding more reviews, thus my thread here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 04:25 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since I still can't find any other reviews on this borescope, I thought I should share the full review of "Amazon review #1" above, which is actually 2nd on the Amazon product page:

"This unit comes packed in an aluminum case with two 90 deg. mirror attachments, USB adapters and instructions for downloading the necessary software. The instructions are clear and explain many features I'll probably never use. Because you supply the video monitor, Oasis was able to put the money saved into the scope and optics. It appears to be pretty robust, and the image quality is very, very good. On first use, I found copper encrusted on the leades that I hadn't expected to be there. Examining a cut-rifled barrel and a button-rifled barrel revealed the huge difference in machining marks. All marks in the cut-rifled barrel were smooth and longitudinal. The button-rifled barrel demonstrated "chatter" common to this method. In short, this is marvelous tool that provides very high-quality images at a price less than an all-in-one borescope. Can't comment on longevity yet."

Although I hope this is a good product, I'd actually like to hear about any negatives - things that I may be overlooking. Obviously, the Oasis borescope wouldn't be ideal in an antique rifle with a 36" barrel and no breech access, but what else may not be so good about it? So far, it sounds perfect for the money.

More food for thought is the resolution of this product verses the similarly priced Lyman scope. The Oasis GB-460 is specified as having a sensor resolution of 1280 X 720. Lyman says their scope has a "photo resolution" of 320 X 240, and requires a "Display Resolution: VGA 800 x 600 or higher", but that does not indicate or prove the scope has such a capability (I'm guessing it's a requirement for PC photo viewing?). Since this requires some "interpretation", I say it only has a resolution of 320 X 240. If my assessment is correct, the difference in potential detail for viewing is hugely in favor of the Oasis scope.

I'm really liking this Oasis borescope, I only long for more reviews, good or bad. If nothing else turns up soon, I may just go ahead and buy one anyway.

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 07-29-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:19 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been busy with other projects (firearm related mostly, just not working on getting a bore-scope, for now) and health issues, but I'm still very interested in this unit, and also very surprised I haven't been able to find any new reviews (including today), much less any interest in this, what seems to be a great product for the price. I took a screen shot (below) of this thing in action, of a paused You Tube video, at the gas port of an AR. I'd imagine based on the manual focusing ability of this unit, that the operator could easily adjust the focus to see clearly up into the port, if desired.

I hate being the "Guinea Pig" on newer products over a certain (undetermined exact) dollar amount, but it's looking more and more as if I'll have to be, if I end up buying a bore-scope anytime soon. My instincts, and everything else I've learned in my 60 years, are telling me this is a better unit, and buy, over the well known "LM" brand often talked about around here. I just hope these thoughts and instincts are correct, because I'm closer than ever in finding out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vida GB-450_002.jpg (249.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-04-2019, 03:28 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hi Lonewolf, I believe the problem is going to be the diameter of the 90 degree viewing attachment. I don't see the spec anywhere but 6mm OD to fit the 4mm probe is a good guess (if not larger.)

That means it won't work with .22s. Same problem with a lot of the cheap endoscopes, the mirror attachment won't fit a .22 barrel.

Without the 90 degree attachment you're always be focusing an inch or two beyond the area you're trying to inspect. Not very useful for our particular application.

Mi dos centavos,

Frank
Old 10-04-2019, 03:51 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
According to the specs, the "side view mirror" is only 4.5mm or 0.177 inches in OD. This is more than small enough to work in 22's. The mirror angle, although I didn't see it listed just now at the Oasis page on this GB-460, appears from the video & screen shot above, to be 90 degrees.

Edit: In my first post, I see that I did find the angle of the side mirror listed somewhere at the Oasis site as 90 degrees. The only real downsides I can see at the moment, is if people don't have a laptop (I have 2, both 17", w/good screen resolutions), a laptop with a good screen and/or screen resolution, or good access (without getting yelled at, etc, which is not a problem for me) to a desktop they can use with one. Other than the need of a PC/Laptop (which I see as a plus, not having to pay for a small, included, low-res monitor), I haven't found anything else that's a major issue. Of course, there are certain rifles without breech access, with over 24" long barrels, that it wouldn't be ideal in, but this is also not an issue for me.

Does anyone see anything else that I'm missing as a possible downside?

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 10-04-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:03 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
There's another thread going on about a $50 model Lonewolf https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1173379

I agree with you, potentially these are a step up from the Lyman's now that they've reduced the OD of the right angle mirror so they'll fit in a .22.

Looking forward to a usage report if you get one.

Frank
Old 10-05-2019, 12:29 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I looked up the $50 scope, reviews were mixed. Complaints of poor focusing, early failure rate, that kind of thing. It's flexible, which might explain the focusing difficulties. If you go to the Oasis site and sign up for e-mails, you get a 5% discount over their asking price. Another possible plus is Oasis is a scientific equipment company located in the U.S. not a retailer in China.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:43 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've now looked at the $50 scope, very disappointing, other than how it makes the Oasis GB-460 look even better. If/when I get one, I'll certainly give a report. This may happen sooner than later? Good points 'ol shooter! I've read of other flexible units having similar issues as well. Makes me think the hard straight tube style is best for firearms...
Old 10-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Iain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Lonewolf

Following on from 'ol shooters comments, I think you'll find that:

1. complaints of poor focusing stem from individuals ability (or lack thereof) to read the instructions. Focusing is simply a matter of adjusting the distance the mirror sits from the lens and locking it in place with the locking ring once set for the calibre your looking at. The fact that it is a flexible cable has absolutely nothing to do with focusing.

2. the early failure rate is down to people trying to coil the flexible cable too tight for storing it thus causing an internal failure. Early models were supplied in a carry pouch which encouraged this method of storage but, following comments from users, the manufacturers have now stopped supplying these and there are now plenty of warnings advising purchasers to be careful not to coil it too tight.

You've probably guessed by now that I recently purchased one of the $50 Teslong scopes and I don't regret it for a second. The image on both my Android cellphone and my old XP laptop is crystal clear. I've used it on all of my rimfires and it showed that my cleaning regime needs to be improved upon .

I got mine direct from China but in the States, they're available through Amazon.com (I believe they have an agent in the States but I could be mistaken).

Last weekend, I used mine on a colleagues .308 target rifle and, after adjusting the focus to suit (took about 45 seconds), we found heavy copper fouling that he was totally unaware of . Needless to say, he immediately got the bottle of Sweets out again and set about cleaning it thoroughly.

Please don't disregard this piece of equipment just because of it's low price and the early reports from some people who, in all honesty, are somewhat less than careful with the tools they're using (think of the opening sequence of 2001, A Space Odyssey - we've all met them)

Iain

Last edited by Iain; 10-22-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: omission
Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your input sir. At this point I haven't ruled any of them out, I'm still looking. I'd like a "quality unit", but not Hawkeye expensive...
Old 10-22-2019, 08:58 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been debating if or how I should post this. I tried to "make a deal" with Oasis recently. I offered to write fair reviews, both here and on ebay, if they'd sell me a GB-460 for $100 shipped. Since they badly need more exposure I thought they'd be willing to do this in order to change that. I'm still not sure how to take the response, as it appears to "imply" they could easily screw me over if desired, but it could also be a language issue? I just don't know. Keep in mind, part of the "ebay based response" had me paying shipping costs as well as the full unit price, which would make the total cost close to $250 verses the $200 anyone can buy one for otherwise (w/free shipping).
Here's the response I got:

"Hi,
Thank you for your email and information. We are highly interested in your feedbacks and offers. As you said, we need more reviews for our products.
Let's do this, you buy a GB-460 from us, tested it out. If it works good to you, please write reviews as you suggested (on eBay, or amazon, and RFC). Show us that reviews have been written, we can send you a check of $150 for honest feedbacks and suggestions to us to improve our products.
If the product does not work for you, you can return for full refund within 30 days.
What do you think?
Michael
Oasis Scientific"

If you missed it, the part that bothers me is the "we can send you" line which clearly leaves them a "way out", of paying me nothing, if they wanted. It does look like there could easily be a language issue, but it could also have been made to appear that way by someone slick? Since I just don't know, and didn't want to write back possibly insulting his language skills, I did nothing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as I've become very suspicious of Oasis due to that response. I really did want one of these, even at the full $200, and so far I've found nothing else I like as much in the rough price range.