Which new bolt action 22WMR - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:40 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My out of the box Marlin 925 M with a 3-9 Nikon hangs over the front door. 100 yds to the gravel road out front where wiley coyote comes trotting along from time to time as I am having my morning coffee. Not to mention Mr. Coon who has to invade my squirrel/deer/bird feeder out front. The Marlin 's first two shots will be within an inch but the third shot will go out maybe two inches or more. The ammo is CCI but as Jaia says, it really don't matter they are all close to being the same. I ain't never got more than one shot off anyway because it is either shot or gone. With the ammo and the type of rifle I know what to expect and I have no illusions about the accuracy. It does exactly what I want and it is and will be a permanent fixture. FWIW!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:32 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A very long time ago I had a Mossberg bolt action 22 mag that was very accurate. I let it go and have wised up enough to be sorry. If you find an old Mossberg 22 mag in good condition grab it. I now have an H&R single shot (discontinued) that is sub MOA with Winchester 40 grain 22 mag. It does OK with other brands but the Winchester is the magic bullet. It will out shoot my RAR any time. For some reason the RAR will not extract Winchester. Not the only one I have seen that wont.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:13 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hmmmm... there's a combination that makes me giggle.

Winchester rimfire and sub moa.

Haven't found any Winchester 22 rimfire that's reaches that level of quality control.

Not saying it can't happen....just hasn't happened with anything I purchased.

Last edited by jaia; 07-31-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 11:09 PM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok - so I'm now back to seriously considering the 17hmr again as potentially the better all rounder.. especially if I want to do some hole punching at a club. And I don't need both calibres. I have a few trusty old 22LRs fwiw - as in quite old, and very trusty. But they're just for fun really, none are scoped.

Anyone have any experience with the new Tikka T1X? It probably should be in my consideration list I guess.

I'm still at: Ruger 77-17hmr (theres a second hand one I'll be looking at on the weekend) / CZ457 at this point. Probably leaning towards CZ457 just because it'd be easy to get a WMR switch barrel. But would consider lower price bracket options like the RAR / Savage 93 as well. They did feel built to a price though when I last looked at them, but something like a 93R17 BTVS looks a bit nicer.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Hmmmm... there's a combination that makes me giggle.

Winchester rimfire and sub moa.

Haven't found any Winchester 22 rimfire that's reaches that level of quality control.

Not saying it can't happen....just hasn't happened with anything I purchased.
Surprised me too but I cant argue with the groups.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:35 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like my 77/17, but my cz 455 17 is a bettershooter. I donít have Savages in 17 or 22 mag, but they are great shoots in 22, and their high end guns have nice stocks, and good fit and finish. May have to replace bottom metal to torque them down enough. Really you canít beat cz , especially for the barrel swap ability.Chnge calibers for $150, who else can offer that?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I haven't really weighed in on this because I have never been a big 22mag or 17hmr person. I did pick up a SA 141m a while back that shoots outstanding with Aguila Silver Eagle ammo and will actually take it squirrel hunting again this fall. My son has a 17hmr that has only been pulled out a few times mainly just to exercise it at the range. I guess I feel the 17hmr is just to loud and powerful for squirrel hunting for me, others in other types of terrain may justifiably feel different. I thought the OP mentioned fox hunting somewhere, around here and the terrain if anyone is seriously going after fox a 222, 223, 22-250 or 220 swift has typically been the caliber of choice depending on value of hides at the time. My favorite has been the 222 but I know that's old school thinking as most people don't even own a 222. I think if a kid is going hunting for anything that moves then maybe the merits of a 22mag or 17hmr are more valid.

I think some of us have fallen into the category of "to many guns". We don't become as proficient in the field and memorizing our ammo's capabilities in a particular rifle as we shoot to many different things at the range, I know I am that way as I don't spend enough time actually hunting bigger game than squirrels and rabbits anymore. You know what they say, "Beware the man with one gun." If you find one rifle that you really love the feel of, it shoots well and is in the ballpark of size and range for most of your game, run with it and shoot the heck out of it. If It shoots well then you made a good choice, if it isn't as consistent as you want then see if that can be fixed through bedding or trigger work etc. Shoot a different rifle if your shooting bench matches as you will be very frustrated that your hunting rifle doesn't perform as well unless you are shooting with other sporters. These are just my thoughts as I have read through this thread as I am also of the belief that pinpoint target accuracy and hunting accuracy are 2 different things. I guess that is why I do love the 17hm2 for squirrel hunting.

Last edited by grg; 08-01-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd be a hard core small bore center fire shooter if I didn't live in a jurisdiction that prevents their use. Suburban sprawl killed the center fire rifle option in my County. But, I could go after, specifically groundhogs, with shotgun sabots since there are no caliber restrictions on this small game. Go figure.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Pcollico

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vicko, another Aussie here. Along with a CZ452 in 17HMR, I have a CZ455 Varmint switch barrel and have tried both 17HMR and 22WMR through it. No doubts that in mine the 17HMR is more consistent let alone flatter. Probably it likes Hornady 17 Gr VMAX the best from what is available to me locally. Switching usually only requires a few shots to check POI.
I regularly shoot field both from a vehicle (day and night) and walking/sitting (head shooting rabbits mainly along with a few foxes) and target only occasionally. Based on my experience I would have no concerns shooting foxes to 120M during the day. At night because it is harder to judge accurately 100M.
I also have a LA101 but in 22LR which I also use field shooting on small farmlets close to town and while the 22LR subsonics are accurate and quiet, I do miss the flat shooting of the 17HMR. I would be very happy to have a LA101 in 17 HMR if it shot anything like the 22LR.
My hunting partners Savage B Mag 17HMR is the only other rifle that I have compared side by side in the same conditions over a period of time, shooting 100s of rabbits and occasional range. It shoots probably as good, but it may be the shooter who is better than me FWIW
Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Ansczger
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which new bolt action 22WMR

Welcome Vicko!

Been to OZ in 71 on R&R and in 96 and 02 during ANZAC Day. Had and still have some good friends in Sydney and Adelaide. Dad was in 32nd Div in NG in WWII

Ron
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 PM
Silver1e6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Vicko,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicko View Post
Probably should mention that as an Aussie I have a couple of older Lithgow 22LRs and would consider an LA101.. probably a bit pricier than I had in mind, but I'd be interested if anyone on here has one in WMR.
I have an LA101 in .22LR. Absolutely love it - the build quality and the 'robust' design makes for a very nice rifle indeed.

That said, your point is taken, they are certainly a bit more expensive than a lot of other brands - even here in Australia where they make them! As I already had an LA101 in .22LR I went for a Savage B17FVSS in .17HMR due to the investment required.

Have a look at this video here (from the UK): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqZ7N-n-x8 that covers the LA101 in 17HMR.

Also, OzzieReviews has covered the LA101 in 22WMR. Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltuituy2ttU

Cheers, Silver1e6.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah buy a lithgow, support your own ! Make Australia Mediocre Again! Hey Iím joking if you werenít gonna eat some of them, Iíd tell you to buy a Savage 12 SSFV in 223. Mines as accurate as any 22 I have, only not limited to 50 yards! Might be just fine if you stuck to fmj. Prolly just shoot right thru?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:30 PM
22MagRuger
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My input for you is the Ruger M77 22WMR. A close friend of mine has owned this fine gun for several years. When we go Ground Squirrel Hunting in the Spring I always get to use the Tack Driver. With good ammo you should have no trouble getting those bunnies and foxes. My friends gun shoots all brands of ammo very well but especially likes Federal 30gr TNT, or the CCI TNT that leave the barrel at 2200fps. The Speer Hollow Point is extremely Deadly!!!!

Good Luck with your Choice and Ownership!!

Have Fun and Shoot Safe!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png cci22wmrtnt.png (323.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Federal22wmrTNT.jpg (228.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TJT and Bradical,, I also have had good experience/results with the bolt action Mossberg 640 K Chuckster in .22WMR. Vicko, I like the round for what it is, but within its limitations. As others have pointed out, the main limitation with shooting much past 100yards is the inconsistent quality of the ammunition, more than the guns themselves. For your various needs, I might tend to agree with TooMany22s....through handloading you can assemble downloaded .223 Rem. ammo to around 2100-2200 fps velocity. Depending on your goals, you have a wide assortment of match, FMJ, plastic tip or conventional hollow point bullets to pick for a particular use. And I believe you can actually handload your ammunition in the long run, cheaper than you can buy factory .22WMR. Your handloads will also be superior in consistent accuracy than any factory rimfire ammo available. When the right situation arises, you can use full power rounds for the task. Just another option to consider....good luck.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 08-01-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 PM
rubberhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17hmr is a good hooter in my annie but 17hornet in my cz537 is light years ahead and reloadable great aacuracy easy to load and just plain fun