Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which new bolt action 22WMR

Long time Aussie listener - first time caller..

Am looking to get a 22 mag for everything from bunnies to foxes out to about 120m. Had been considering both 17hmr (probably not heavy enough for foxes at 100+ from what I can gather) and 17wsm (overkill for bunnies in close), but came back to 22wmr as an all 'rounder. May still add a WSM into the mix down the track but am focussed on the magnum for now. This will ultimately be paired with a .223 and possibly a .204 for longer distance/heavier hunting duties. Might even join a club at some stage and send some rounds down the range.

So I'm looking for current recommendations - because I want one more accurate than the old man's Stirling that spits out too many flyers. Needs to be a bolt action. I'm not overly fussed on stock but leaning to wooden or laminate.

Think I'm narrowing it down to CZ455 (or 457 when they get here) or Ruger 77, but am reading good things about the Ruger American too. Accuracy and build quality is more important to me than looks.

Keen for opinions pls - aaaand go!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:29 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a CZ 455 FS in 22magnum, and it is very nice. Very well built and very accurate. Plus , if I want to I can change barrels and have a 22lr, 17 hmr,. The 22 requires a different magazine and a magwell spacer, the 17 hmr does not. I have both other calibers and they are excellent too.

The Ruger 77 rifles , the older ones with the slip fit, are very nice too, I have a 22lr and a 17 hmr, alas no WMR. These to9, are quality guns, but not as accurate out of the box as a CZ.

As for the Ruger American, no comment. Other than I had a product produced at the same factory, and that has some of the same components, that went back 3 times, and I no longer have. Some people like them, I donít.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Probably should mention that as an Aussie I have a couple of older Lithgow 22LRs and would consider an LA101.. probably a bit pricier than I had in mind, but I'd be interested if anyone on here has one in WMR.

Back to the CZs, whats the go with the 'switch barrel' models? Or are they all swicth barrels? Seems like it might be a good idea if they were accurate. Be nice to be able to switch out for a 17hmr to do some long range hole punching I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 455s and 457s have switchable barrels , two screws and they come out, new one goes in. Easy peasy! 10 minutes or less! Use same bolt, barrels are pre head spaced, can use 455 and 457 barrels interchangeably, come in std taper, no sights, trainor barrels with iron sights , bull barrels, fluted and threaded, Aftermarket barrels too, some in HM2,
Maybe wSM? Also different stocks, lots of aftermarket bits and pieces.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:00 PM
d2wing
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am a fan of CZ's but I do have a .22 Mag Ruger American that shoots very well. I too prefer the .22 Mag but a friend claims kills on coyotes in excess of 100 yards with .17 HMR. Ruger also has excellent customer service. I recommend both the cartridge and the rifle.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't sweat the platform that much. Any quality manufacture in good condition should be able to be under 2MOA at 100 yards/91.44 meters. Your issue will be the lot of WMR ammo and finding which weight your gun likes. Out to 120 meters the trajectory of the 22WMR really starts to drop. With CCIs 40g rounds and a 100 yard zero, the round will hit about 3 inches low. Wind will move the round a lot. It is however a fun a challenging round to use. I'm still learning it's trajectory and wind quirks. Which changes a little with each round.

Last edited by Bradical; 07-28-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
The 455s and 457s have switchable barrels , two screws and they come out, new one goes in. Easy peasy! 10 minutes or less! Use same bolt, barrels are pre head spaced, can use 455 and 457 barrels interchangeably, come in std taper, no sights, trainor barrels with iron sights , bull barrels, fluted and threaded, Aftermarket barrels too, some in HM2,
Maybe wSM? Also different stocks, lots of aftermarket bits and pieces.
Ahhh great thanks humb:
I certainly had been looking at the WSM butwe're a bit more limited for choice out here as no semi-auto. I wasn't impressed with the BMags action. The Ruger is really the only option that looked ok but I'm not convinced by reports that it shoots as well as I'd expect from that round. In the end I figured it was probably overkill for what I want right now, a lot of which will include bunnies inside 50 (which are then dressed). I've seen plenty of pics of bunnies without heads which seems a little dramatic...
Old 07-29-2019, 06:12 AM
Vicko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
I wouldn't sweat the platform that much. Any quality manufacture in good condition should be able to be under 2MOA at 100 yards/91.44 meters. Your issue will be the lot of WMR ammo and finding which weight your gun likes. Out to 120 meters the trajectory of the 22WMR really starts to drop. With CCIs 40g rounds and a 100 yard zero, the round will hit about 3 inches low. Wind will move the round a lot. It is however a fun a challenging round to use. I'm still learning it's trajectory and wind quirks. Which changes a little with each round.
I't'll be going back if it can't get any better than 2MOA at 100 yards... I'm looking for under 1MOA at a minimum. I'm not shooting at pigs with it... I'll be head shooting bunnies, hares and foxes. 2MOA won't cut it.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:25 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another advantage to the CZ , if you send the barrel back, you won’t,you can plug a different barrel in. For some reason the accuracy on hunting rounds isn’t as high as target rounds And no target rounds are made for these calibers. Go figure? So the hmr, WMR, And wSM, aren’t that consistent from lot to lot. I’ve had better accuracy out of the lighter faster rounds, all MOA , but not sub, but that’s my experiance, yours may differ.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 07-29-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:36 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm looking for under 1 MOA at a minimum.

At 100 yards/meters?

Unlikely.

We're talking rimfire and even the best 22lr can't guarantee sub-moa at 100 yards/meters.
Sure, get a run of tight mv's and cooperative wind, you can produce some wallet groups,
but "all day long"....just ain't happening.

Last edited by jaia; 07-29-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
I'm looking for under 1 MOA at a minimum.

At 100 yards/meters?

Unlikely.

We're talking rimfire and even the best 22lr can't guarantee sub-moa at 100 yards/meters.
Sure, get a run of tight mv's and cooperative wind, you can produce some wallet groups,
but "all day long"....just ain't happening.
Yup. If your expectation is sub-1MOA at 100 yards stay away from a .22WMR. You'll be a lot happier with a .17. The .17 as a much better ballistic coefficient, so it gives current mass produced ammo manufacturers a better chance to get you to your goal of sub 1MOA. You're asking for a lot of frustration and disappointment with the .22WMR. Sub1MOA just can't happen with any consistent basis with today's mass produced ammo, no matter how fancy a tube you try to push it through.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:56 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Having owned a dozen or so .22wmr rifles over the last 40+ years, I can tell you for a fact that you won't be getting sub 1moa with any of them. It's not the gun, it's the ammo. There are no quality target ammo suppliers for this round. I've recently gotten a couple of 17hmr rifles the last few years and I've shot a lot of woodchucks, foxes, and some coyotes with them. Shooting foxes with the 17hmr is no problem at all. The average fox isn't much heavier than a large house cat, and they simply pile up where they're hit. A few might run twenty yards or so, but the round is devastating on them. For what you're looking for, I'd go for a .17hmr.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One MOA is 1/2 inch at 50 yards and 1 inch at 100 yards. You should be able to get close to that with a good magnum rimfire and the right ammo. I find the 22LR accuracy falls off at 100 yards for me. I can generally out shoot my 22LR with 22mag at 100 yards. Call it all on me, for what that is worth.

My lowly Ruger American is pretty close to that for cheap money and light weigth to carry all day. Call it 1.25moa. That is at any distance from 10 to 100 yards.

If you do not mind the plastic stocks, you might also consider Tikka. Lower lemon risk. Or so I read. I am fine with my Ruger.

My CZ455 22mag shot 1" at 50 yards, 5 shots. That is 2moa. I replaced the barrel with a Lilja and it now does 1/2 inch at 50 yards and 1" at 100 yards. That is 1 moa at 50 yards and 1 moa at 100 yards. I hope we are all on the same page with MOA here.

My CZ452 will hold an honest 1 moa with 30 gr Vmax. Those are hard to find now.

The Anschutz 64 based sporters would be a logical choice for a high end 22mag. In the usa, those can be found new, for about $1000. About what it cost me to get my 455 shooting properly. Accuacy will only be limited by the ammo.

Another nice gun is the Browning T bolt varmint in plastic with a spare magazine. Although I dont have one, I think it is worth a look. Or get the lighter barrel. I was a little put off by the plastic trigger guard on the wood stock T bolts. All plastic is more honest and a spare magazine is nice to have given the cost. Only get the spare magazine with the plastic stock.

Last edited by fourbore; 07-29-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:13 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It might also be worth noting that technique contributes to accuracy.

A heavy gun will be more forging to hold and follow through. The Ruger American in 22 mag requires more focus. The gun is light and ammo is powerful compared to LR. My 452 is a varmint. It is easier to shoot. I wont carry it around.

I read about how the 22LR is more accurate than 22mag. But; I think they will compare better when both are shot with hunting ammo. I like RWS LR for paper, but; dont bother with 22LR for any hunting. I do hunt 22mag and 223, exactly as the OP plans.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:52 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Iíve got a CZ 455 22 mag and 2 browning tbolt 22 mags... they will shoot about 1/2-3/4Ē groups at 50 yards and 1-2Ē at 100... Iíve found that Remington 33gr accu tips shoot the best... I have a brick or so of them plus every other 22 mag ammo made... CCI, Hornady, are good shooting ammo also...