Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:33 PM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
Thanks, gun bros.

Not looking for a custom. Want to keep it stock. But will it jam up on me or throw the bullets all over the target?
I'm new to shooting and my 10/22 carbine is my first ever rifle. No problems with it. I have about 1,000 rounds thru it. Best money I have spent since I started shooting this year.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:39 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned 5, all five shot good and were reliable as purchased, the only problem with them is the horribly heavy trigger pull. The other stuff we do to them improves them. A trigger job, modify the bolt release and sights and you're good to go. It may not shoot 1" groups at 100 yards(most .22s won't) but more than likely it'll do everything else it should do. A bunny or squirrel's head isn't safe at 50 yards if you are able to make the shot. Of my 5, none ever malfunctioned unless it was bad ammo or filthy magazines. I see a bunch of them at the club and they all seem to work. I'm not saying you can't get a lemon, it can happen but they seem to be the best product Ruger sells today.
I did 2 of the standard carbines on the cheap to use for NRA Rimfire Sporter Matches.
DIY trigger jobs, 3-1/2# min., DIY bolt release, Williams Peep on one, TRS25 Red Dot on the other. Both are more than accurate enough and totally reliable. I did pick up a couple old walnut stocks for them, I hate the beech wood stocks. The oldest one has a Laminated stock, heavy bbl, Volqartsen hammer, spring kit, bolt release and a 100.00 Simmons 4-12 scope. Shoots like a house afire, still didn't cost an arm and a leg. I've prolly got 400 or 450 in it. Built it about 25 years ago.
The latest is a Deluxe Sporter, BX trigger, Leupold 2-7 VX1 Rimfire scope. Love them.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I recently tested a couple of factory barrels. I recently bought an older 10/22T SS barrel. And I had a couple of factory carbine barrels laying around. so i slugged them and assembled the best one to see how it would do.

the carbine barrel was unfired and probably about 2 years old. at 25y with RWS it managed some decent 5 round center to center groups. .204" .305" .403" and .276"

so not bad for a factory carbine barrel. the real impressive one was the 10/22 T barrel. it shot A LOT better than the last 2 kidd barrels i had, it also noses out my feddersen barrel by a little. this was shot with sk pistol match. .106" .180" .174" and .260". i have never had a factory ruger barrel shoot that well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 11:04 PM
desertmoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few year ago a purchased a laminate, standard 10/22 carbine. I have owned numerous 10/22s since the late 1970s. My favorites were the Wal Mart specials in the green laminate.

Anyhow, this blue laminate caught my eye so I bought it.

What a horrible disappointment.

The list:

Rubber trigger group housing.

Rubber Trigger.

Rubber barrel band.

This stuff is so soft, I don't dignify it by calling it plastic.

I thought, "Meh, lot's of guns are polymer. Give it a chance."

It had a terrible trigger and you could actually FEEL the trigger flex when you applied pressure to it. It did run okay, though.

....well, until the sights fell out when I tried to adjust them a wee bit.

The bolt looked like it had been cast, lightly polished for ejection port...and that was it. Rough as a corn cob.

Compared to all of the 10/22s I have owned over the years....this thing was a piece of junk.

My favorite part is how Hoppe's #9 eats into the finish of the receiver when you clean it.

Sooooo, I bought an NOS aluminum Ruger trigger housing and trigger. Got a proper barrel band as a take off from a friend and purchased a take off stainless barrel at a gun shop. I then polished the bolt up a bit and reshaped the rubber mag release to a real nice shape that is mechanically advantageous without allowing you to drop the mag accidentally.

The only thing I need to do now is Cerakote the receiver and barrel band. It shoots great now! I can chase shotgun shells all over the place with it.

I will NEVER buy another Ruger made 10/22 until they get their act together on that gun.

What is very strange is that the Ruger Mk IV, as much as I despise it, is one %%%% fine made handgun. Incredible workmanship.....but those are made at the pistol plant which has a whole different philosophy of manufacture from what I have seen.

If Ruger put as much thought into the manufacturing engineering of the 10/22 as they do the Mk IV instead of just trying to skim profits on us by making the gun 50 percent CHEAPER ( not economical....CHEAP ) without lowering the price, they would have a hell of a gun.

It's a darn shame.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:06 AM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
question is..why shop for guns or ammo at walmart...the latest addition to the list of companies pandering to the anti 2A gun ban lobbyists
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
i dont mind the trigger housing. as far as hoppes, i wouldnt use it on aluminum either. it is a bore solvent, so i would limit it to use on steel. i use gun scrubber for the trigger housings. on my newest purchase i did a JWH hammer kit for $18. with a little polish and file work on the factory sear, and a little polish work on the hammer i was able to get the pull weight down to 3lbs with factory springs.

at any rate, yes they are a little cheaper, but ruger has to compete with a lot of competitors in the semi auto .22 rifle market. they do make more expensive versions, so it depends on the price point you are looking at, but the carbine is the low cost gun.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some people are just sour. Every thing is crummy, they don’t make stuff like they used to. Blah blah blah blah blah Never gonna make them happy cause they don’t wanna be happy don’t know what happy is but just in case I’m wrong here’s a picture, Bone stock except for a plastic Bx trigger that breaks at 2.5 lbs out of the box.Fit and Finnish , perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1B1AC099-DEAD-4C3B-85B1-E2BC01DC8056.jpg (499.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Toomany22s; 09-09-2019 at 09:38 AM.