Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:59 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
So if I get one, instead of getting a friggin $60 BX trigger, seems yíall are talkin at me to send it to Randy at CPC for a trigger thatís even better?

My uses would be plinking and squirreling and bunnying. Could Randy set it up appropriate for that? I canít STAND a creepy gritty trigger and Iíve read the BX trigger is lighter but still has some creep.

Other than that I want to keep the gun stock. I have a soft spot for the wood carbines as that was my dadís gun growing up and boy I loved the hell out of it. Other than that I want a Leupold 4x28mm rimfire scope and a leather sling, just like dadís gun. Iíll probably even fit an old flush mag release on it as it looks and feels great with the 10 round rotary mags that I prefer.

What I donít want or need is a bunch of navy SEAL wannabe tacticool stuff. Great if you love it, I think itís ridiculous. I just want a more or less stock classic style 10/22 carbine with a good scope, a good trigger, and a chunk of cow hide dangling from it.
Send the entire gun (minus the stock) to Randy at CPC. He will work it over, and you will end up with a gun that looks stock, but shoots and functions far better than it ever did straight from the factory. He blueprints everything by squaring the barrel to the receiver, squaring the bolt to the barrel, doing a full bolt job, accurizing the barrel with crowning re-chambering and lapping, working over the trigger, nylon buffer, oversize receiver and trigger pins, and will drill a cleaning hold in the rear of the receiver for free if requested. Add $10 for a custom fitted hardened/sharpened extractor. He also Jewels the side of the bolt, but if you tell him not to, he won't. ALL for around $200... which is the best deal BY FAR in the entire world of gunsmithing.

I have one that looks stock, and shoots like a competition rifle. No squirrel is safe! lol

http://ct-precision.com/
Old 07-30-2019, 02:32 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Send the entire gun (minus the stock) to Randy at CPC. He will work it over, and you will end up with a gun that looks stock, but shoots and functions far better than it ever did straight from the factory. He blueprints everything by squaring the barrel to the receiver, squaring the bolt to the barrel, doing a full bolt job, accurizing the barrel with crowning re-chambering and lapping, working over the trigger, nylon buffer, oversize receiver and trigger pins, and will drill a cleaning hold in the rear of the receiver for free if requested. Add $10 for a custom fitted hardened/sharpened extractor. He also Jewels the side of the bolt, but if you tell him not to, he won't. ALL for around $200... which is the best deal BY FAR in the entire world of gunsmithing.

I have one that looks stock, and shoots like a competition rifle. No squirrel is safe! lol

http://ct-precision.com/
Thatís awesome! It will be more reliable too, eh?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 PM
n2omike

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Thatís awesome! It will be more reliable too, eh?
Yup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One thing I do NOT see written here about the poly trigger groups, there's no need to ever refinish them because there's no finish to wear off. That is a solid plus in my book.

That said, I've never owned a poly trigger group. The half-dozen or so 10/22s I've owned over the years have all had aluminum trigger groups, and yes, you can wear that anodizing off and they look pretty shabby afterwards. I've only bought two of the 10/22s new, the others were used.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:26 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
One thing I do NOT see written here about the poly trigger groups, there's no need to ever refinish them because there's no finish to wear off. That is a solid plus in my book.

That said, I've never owned a poly trigger group. The half-dozen or so 10/22s I've owned over the years have all had aluminum trigger groups, and yes, you can wear that anodizing off and they look pretty shabby afterwards. I've only bought two of the 10/22s new, the others were used.
they were never anodized, just painted
Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Throckmorton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Throckmorton
re: the BX 'in pkg ' testing

Quote:
I've only felt the BX while in it's display package in the store. That's not the ideal way to experience a trigger
agree ! After I installed my B X it felt much better than when I tested it in it's package. It was a definate upgrade from stock,and we get along together real well after a little braking in
Old 08-01-2019, 06:51 PM
SDPhoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know if I would say junk, but just spent a LOT of money on a custom shop 1022 and it's going back. Jams a lot on several types of ammo, 4 different mags. Called them to see if this was common and/or if I could fix it myself, and the woman I talked to tersely said " We don't Gunsmith over the phone !" Well kiss my recoil pad....
Old 08-01-2019, 06:54 PM
Joe58
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Based on prices at gun shows, used ones seem to command a premium price. Iíll admit I like the older walnut stocked models better, perhaps mostly from nostalgia.

As others mentioned, you can do a build thatíll be pretty nice, but ends up costing nice too.

All depends on the purpose you want it for. Plinking or target, and accuracy level desired.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:13 PM
insp105
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ruger 10/22 good or bad

I have 2 new 10/22's, a stainless take down and a wild hog edition, both shoot as good as my older 10/22's however both triggers were really bad. polished the sears and hammers added spring kits and viola just over 2lbs pull nice and crisp. I think the basic rifles are as good as the old ones with a little trigger work. I can say both shoot better than the 63 year old eyes shooting them. For some real fun put a bushnell TRS 25 red dot on one.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Joe58
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insp105 View Post
I have 2 new 10/22's, a stainless take down and a wild hog edition, both shoot as good as my older 10/22's however both triggers were really bad. polished the sears and hammers added spring kits and viola just over 2lbs pull nice and crisp. I think the basic rifles are as good as the old ones with a little trigger work. I can say both shoot better than the 63 year old eyes shooting them. For some real fun put a bushnell TRS 25 red dot on one.
Iíll agree the stock factory triggers are pretty dang crappy.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:02 PM
22MagRuger
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think Rugers are still very good guns. The 10/22 Triggers are rough but a new Trigger group from Ruger and others really upgrade the New 10/22's. There are very few guns that have the Huge After-Market parts than for a Ruger 10/22.

Just my Humble Opinion.

Shoot Safe and Have Fun!!!
Old 08-01-2019, 09:21 PM
TP11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks, gun bros.

Not looking for a custom. Want to keep it stock. But will it jam up on me or throw the bullets all over the target?
I bought a 10/22 takedown heavy barrel, shot well, but had lots of feeding problems from 10, 15, and 25rd mags. probably should have sent it in at that point. However, I didn't. Next time at range I had an open bolt discharge and I shoot left-handed, lots of smoke, lots of crap hit me in face but I wasn't hurt. Two hotties on next lane gave me WTH look, now that hurt. I sent it back to Ruger with cartridge still wedged halfway in chamber. Ruger sent me a brand new rifle. Haven't shot it yet.

Last edited by TP11; 08-01-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 PM
ssaigol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Ruger 10/22 was never a great gun. A very highly customizable one for sure but it never shot great. Its trigger was always stiff. It jammed more than its tube fed competitors. It is more expensive than other US made semi autos. Of course, the 22 rimfire cartridge is not really a magazine friendly design. It feeds better from tubular mags than clip mags. But the 10/22 has design issues.

Some of its shortcomings are due to its design. A barrel held by a bracket at 6 O'clock. Feed ramp AND ejector built into the magazine. Bolt return spring on one side instead of in the center (What were you thinking Bill?) . Overbuilt trigger group (compare to the simplicity of cooey, browning, savage, marlin) resulting in a heavy trigger that loses drop safety if you lighten it. A non intuitive bolt hold system. These are not just my own opinions. A whole industry has come into being to address the faults of this design.

Ruger never made any attempt to improve it. Thomson TCR 22 has added in last shot hold open to the 10/22 magazine design. Others sell triggers and bolts and slingshot bolt releases. Ruger themselves sell an improved trigger group.

I'm not bashing Ruger. They make great guns but they never improved the 10/22. So now others are doing it.

--SSaigol

Last edited by ssaigol; 08-01-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I think they are great. From the $200 carbine on up. Old and new , I love them all! I had / have a bunch, never had a jamomatic. Sure there might be some with problems. There made millions of them. Itís a brilliant design, easy to manufacture, easy to work on, easy to modify a thousand different ways. So good that other companies copy them and make a fortune doing so. Out of all my guns the 1022 is the first one out of the safe when I go to the range. Itís fun to shoot, cause itís easy to use accurate and simple a blast to shoot. My biggest dilemma is which one do I take!

My first 1022 is the reason Iím into shooting. A sale Tupperware carbine with a 2x7 Tasco scope and a case of wolf target and I was hooked. I shot it at the range every weekend for a summer, the next summer I bought a bigger scope, a 3x9 Tasco .that winter I turned it into a bull barrel in a hogue stock with a bigger scope..... and a better trigger.

Wanna make the heavy trigger better, spray it with Hornady One Shot.

Now Iím gonna go put that original barrel, 18 in, on a spare receiver into a Tupperware stock with an oem bolt and trigger , and put that Tasco on it and see what it can do. I used to be able to shoot the zip ties off the target stand at 50 yards with that set up. I got some wolf target again too!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Yep, never had one that was a jam-o-matic no mater the age. ALL of them have been utterly reliable with failures always related to poor magazines (plastic feed lip Ram-Line and Butler Creek during the AWB) or an excessive amount of Remington Golden Duds.

The new ones aren't junk. They are just different. As others have said, polymer trigger groups, lots of casting seams, inconsistent anodizing, the birch stocks leave a lot to be desired. They do work but seem a bit more sloppy. Either way, they are IMO lightyears ahead of anything Marlin has put out in the last decade. For just over $200 you really can't do any better. They have simply the best magazine on the market. The magazine, if nothing else, makes them the most reliable autoloader offered now.

I will only buy like new older guns with the aluminum trigger groups. I do have a regimen though. I add a Volquartsen drop in hammer/sear, edge extractor, surestrike firing pin, and a nylon bolt buffer.

Everything else is optional but with those few things I have found you can have a truly superb, squirrel head accurate, handy semi automatic .22 carbine that will serve you well and fill any roll you may need filled by a rifle 95% of the time.