Shooting bench preference - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Rick_W
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting bench preference

What type of shooting bench do you prefer to shoot from?

I need to build one for myself here at the house.

Everyone is right-handed.

I've only ever used C.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bench.png (2.9 KB, 207 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:26 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you make c big enough you can shoot either or
Old 07-25-2019, 10:45 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
C, or a variation of it without the cutout on the right hand side

Last edited by gcrank1; 07-25-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 11:27 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
C is our bench style with a seat that swings under to either side and screws up and down. Made of steel with rubber mat top.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:24 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
C

I vote C, preferably made of concrete on concrete block legs.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:01 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
C for sure, especially if built to these dimensions.
Works for right hand or left hand shooters, as well as those rare shooters who prefer to sit directly behind therir rifle.

All kinds of room for all of your stuff. Here you can see left hand and right hand shooters sitting side by side.

Here's what the bench looks like when it's less cluttered up.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-26-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bench C, except round out the cutouts on both sides.

We have 10 of these benches, all set up with cutouts on both sides.

They are dual-purpose benches...8 feet long so we can shoot handgun silhouette matches off of them also.

≡✪≡
Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I prefer "C". Good for left and right hand shooters.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ahhhhhh a beautiful fortner🤗
Old 07-26-2019, 09:57 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shamokinbob
"Ahhhhhh a beautiful fortner🤗"

It is a fine looking rifle.

However in that photo to me it looks more like a 40 grain Lead Shooting Pill Cannon.
The barrel is floating above the deck, and it has kind of a bull dog look to it.

Now that is just how the angle of the photo makes it look.
In a pure side view, it loses some of that Cannon look.

Now if you weren't referring to my rifle......... Never mind.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-26-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:19 AM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
What type of shooting bench do you prefer to shoot from? I've only ever used C.
The 50-yard indoor range I use has a modified "B" version - it's not wide enough on the right-hand side and makes it a bit difficult to use. If that were wider it would be much better. They also have one left-hand version lane, however, it has the same issue.

The outdoor range (50-600 yards) I belong to has benches set up in the "C" configuration, so they accommodate both right & left-handed shooters with a spotter. Some are heavy wooden construction with an inch think rubberized top. Others are poured concrete in a similar size. I like the wooden models with the rubber top as the front rests seem to work better with one-piece rests or a front rest & rear bag.

My portable rest is a Caldwell Stable Table which is has a 23" x 34" top with rounded corners. I have not used it a lot, but it is fairly solid when nothing else is available and provides room for a one-piece rest or a front rest & rear bag.

If I were building a rest for a "home" range it would probably be in a "C" configuration as I am right-handed & my wife is left-handed. That also allows a spotter to sit nearby with a spotting scope if needed or if training young or first-time shooters.

I stumbled across this on Amazon - looks like a fairly economical way to hang up some targets down range - ShootingTargets7 T Post 2x4 Bracket Target Mounts - Cheapest Mounting Possible - for Paper and Steel Targets

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V3NL9K...03_03_t_img_lh

Last edited by rjferber; 07-27-2019 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Target Holder - Addition
Old 07-27-2019, 01:06 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you have plans for a fixed shooting bench or a portable one? If fixed and you want to go crazy, put down a nice slab of concrete and build B with a 5 or 6 foot table with wide wings for your rear sand bags. Attach a bench so two people can sit next to one another. That way you can sit next to a child if needed for training and have plenty of room to get in and out of the bench. In this style you can sit normally. Another variation of B is to make a bench with a top about 3 feet wide with the cut outs mounted on top of a steel base similar to a short saw horse with a couple of risers for the bench top and a board seat you strattle like a teeter totter. This design is probably less comfortable to sit in for a long time but is stable and you can slide back and forth depending on body size.
C works well especially cast in concrete and you can slide in from either side but I've seen some nice wood ones too. A is not a good design because there is not enough space for your elbow and sand bags when getting a steady hold.

Let us know what you create. My buddy built one we currently use based on one I had made years ago like B with 4x4 posts at the 4 corners and a built in seat. It is about 3x3 square and works well. I found a sheet metal cover that fits. We keep it on the bench when not in use and it's holding up season after season. rc
Old 07-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
C
Old 07-27-2019, 01:38 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I go for C. I have a portable bench I built from a set of plans I got from a friend that uses a single sheet of plywood, including the stool and legs. It has worked okay, but not great, for a long time but I need something a bit longer to accommodate front rest, bipods, rear bags, etc... and mine is on the marginal side.
For you guys who have a bench like this that is portable, what is your dimension front to back and how happy are you with the length? If I get the top settled, I can do like my buddy did and put foldable table legs under it so it can be folded and put in my truck easily.

Bob
Old 07-27-2019, 06:22 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bob, with the portable benches, an integrated seat becomes more important than with a fixed bench location. Your weight will steady the platform and if you have a separate seat there is movement between the seat and the table that makes getting in a rock solid position very difficult. Cast concrete benches work beautifully but they have many disadvantages from a construction and portability standpoint. A wood bench can be built in an afternoon out of lumber and screws. I don't recommend plywood for anything that will be out in the weather unless you have good plans to seal the top and prevent moisture from delaminating the layers.