Can you swap bolts between the same model of guns? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Seewin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)

Frank...your questions:
1. Who are some of the rimfire gunsmiths you would recommend?
"Really don't have any recommendations. Take a look at the results and equipment lists of the ARA major tournament winners, they are the best in the business in my opinion"

I know Randy at CPC but I am not familiar with others.

I do have Vudoo arms that is somewhat local to me (about 5 hrs away). I might talk to a bunch of the guys at the next NRL22 match and see if they know one.

2. Are there some major do's and don'ts with Winchester 52c's (e.g. don't dry fire, don't use HV ammo, need to clean often, etc..)?
"No major concerns using any ammo in a 52, but why would you? Stick with the most accurate, which is typically upper grade match or target ammunition."

3. Will I need a bolt disassembly tool to pull the spring out or can I do it with normal shop tools?
"Using a tool sure make's it easier, If not mistaken there is a sticky which describes the bolt disassembly. Again, I made my own, so cannot really comment on what is available"
Steve
Old 07-28-2019, 09:41 PM
wfoss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steve,
Thank you for your sharing of knowledge I purchased bolt handles from gun parts in the 90ties have not needed to use any and had no idea how to fit them. Now I do thanks to you.
Walter
Old 07-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can you swap bolts between the same model of guns?

Dang.

Got the bolt but canít get it in the gun.

Whatís the trick

Followed this video

https://youtu.be/RijYQKtChQo

The sear goes down a little with pushing the trigger towards the front but canít pull the trigger to go backwards and I canít push the sear lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Frank3; 07-29-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 05:35 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I insert the bolt in the action until it contacts the sear. While lightly pushing on the rear of the bolt with the thumb on my left hand I pull the trigger back my (LH) index finger. I use a small screwdriver in my RH to reach in the action and press the sear down, if the bolt is aligned right it will slide in.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:36 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
You need to keep trying...while holding your mouth just right

Others will chime in, but it sounds like a "C". Try pushing the trigger finger piece forward firmly, then pull and hold it back firmly with while inserting the bolt...holding your mouth just right

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 07-29-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:46 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
I insert the bolt in the action until it contacts the sear. While lightly pushing on the rear of the bolt with the thumb on my left hand I pull the trigger back my (LH) index finger. I use a small screwdriver in my RH to reach in the action and press the sear down, if the bolt is aligned right it will slide in.

What do you mean by ďbolt is alignedĒ ?

I have been reading this manual
http://www.winchesterguns.com/conten...manual-om-s.pd

Trying to see if I have it aligned correctly but I am curious if there are better pictures.

My trigger does not move backwards at all if the bolt isnít in it . Should I be
Concerned about that?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It has to be aligned like it would be if you were opening the action to extract a empty round. I hope this makes a little sense.

Without trying to insert the bolt pull on the trigger and reach in the action with a small screwdriver and see if you can push the sear down.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:39 PM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Sorry guys but I can't help laughing when I see people explain how to install the bolt. It is so easy to do once you know how but so very hard to explain. I'm lucky I have small fingers and push the sear down with the little finger of my left hand while pulling the trigger with my right hand. Once the sear drops I then push the trigger forward. I push a piece of hose behind the trigger to hold it forward. the sear stays down and the bolt slides right in. Wayne
PS Hi Steve!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
I have to laugh myself every time I read the multitude of methods used, none of which I have ever used myself. I have always done it like the Winchester instructions states, "pull the trigger and push the bolt in".
Steve
Old 07-29-2019, 09:23 PM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Steve, you must be able to push harder than I can. I've never been able to get that to work. Maybe I'm just pulling the trigger at the wrong time. Wayne
Old 07-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Well, if I see you at a match or possibly Sioux Falls, I will demonstrate. I need to get to Lincoln for a match this year.
Steve
Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Even depressed like this (which is at best 1/4Ē) the trigger will not go backwards

I am worried that something isnít right now that the trigger wonít move at all backwards

Old 07-29-2019, 10:25 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
You need to keep trying...while holding your mouth just right

Others will chime in, but it sounds like a "C". Try pushing the trigger finger piece forward firmly, then pull and hold it back firmly with while inserting the bolt...holding your mouth just right

TBR

It is a C gun

Old 07-29-2019, 10:35 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Make sure that one or both of the screws holding the rear sight bracket on the receiver are not protruding through the receiver and blocking bolt entry.
If that does not work, I would get the barreled receiver out of the stock and see what is going on.
Are you sure you have the correct bolt?
Are the flats on bolt body perfectly horizontal and pointing down?
Is the locking lug/guide line up with the slot in the receiver tang?
Steve
Old 07-29-2019, 10:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
Dang.

Got the bolt but canít get it in the gun.

Whatís the trick

Followed this video

https://youtu.be/RijYQKtChQo

The sear goes down a little with pushing the trigger towards the front but canít pull the trigger to go backwards and I canít push the sear lower.

It's possible that the overtravel screw is set up too tight. If so, backing it out (counter clockwise) will allow you to pull the trigger back far enough so that you can push the sear down and out of the way of the bolt.