front rest material on a one piece rest ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 PM
cztom
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
front rest material on a one piece rest ?

What is the thoughts on the material used on a front rest. Would the bag system or delrin rod be preferred on a one piece rest?
Still learning
Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You mention one piece rest in your title but then ask about what material is best on a front rest....are you asking about the front rest in a two piece (separate front and rear rests) system?

If you are asking about the front rest only in a two piece system, some use bags and some are using delrin type material. I have used bags for years and have recently modified my front rests by replacing the bags with a delrin type material for the gun's forearm to slide on. This is for the heavier guns with at least fairly wide forearms. I like it, but for a lighter weight sporter rifle with slender forearms, you may find a good properly fitting bag of some type to be the best solution.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM
cztom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, the front forearm area on a one piece benchrest style rest. I have a two piece rest for a sporter stock. The is for my benchrest 3" wide forearm stock. I was just wondering what various shooters thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cztom View Post
What is the thoughts on the material used on a front rest. Would the bag system or delrin rod be preferred on a one piece rest?
Still learning

It is really more of a preference to the shooter on which one they shoot. As in everything there is good and bad to all ways of doing the rest top. The bag top is considered to be more "forgiving" to shoot off of and maybe the best at vibration absorption but you will not get the same consistency of tracking as you will with a delrin top.

The delrin tracks good, usually consistent in tension to the stock as well but probably as bad or maybe worse than a roller top in the vibration department.

Roller top just takes a delrin type top a little further in the reduction in friction and consistency department but similar on vibrations.

A person just has to decide what they think is the most important to them and their style/setup. Not saying that you can't change later on but a person is probably best off just picking one and getting used to it and just stick with it. I shot off a bag top for awhile and had no issues with it I just wanted to pick up on tracking so I moved to my own roller top.

Tad
Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Hoot
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Answering your request for material choice, I would advise that you get a front top bag which utilizes the "Super Slick" material if consistent resistance is your goal. One like This

I shoot a roller top and delrin rear on my 1-piece but some sanctions don't allow that for certain classes. For my 2-piece setup, I use both front top and rear bag that use the "Super Slick" material and it is true to its name.

Hoot
Old 07-23-2019, 01:29 PM
farm boy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a quick test try using a dryer sheet on the rest. Cheap and is slick.