Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM
*bigstone

TPC Rating: 
95% (18)
Spotting and chronograph tripod recommendations

I would appreciate your experiences with tripods. My application will be to mount a pro-chrony brand chronograph at the range and backpacking to glass for mule deer in fairly steep terrain. I've never seen in person what the requirements are needed when using a chronograph.

I hope this makes sense.
Bigstone
Old 07-16-2019, 02:38 PM
cmatera
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
I use a tripod made for a deer cam. It has quick adjust latch legs for uneven ground and flat pads on the bottom of the legs with holes in them in case it’s windy and I need to stake it down. It also has a ball swivel head that makes it easy to adjust and level. That is for my chronograph. For my spotting scope I use a Ray Vin.

Last edited by cmatera; 07-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'd say cheap and light sound like your 2 main requisites Bigstone. Cheap in case you or a buddy put a bullet through it during chronograph operations and light for backpacking. There are a jillions choices if you Google travel tripod but here's one https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...gateway&sr=8-7

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 03:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Usually you can find something cheap and decent at your local thrift store. But if you are going to by new I suggest something in the manfrotto line all parts are usually replaceable. The big problem with a cheap tripod is if it has a quick release plate. You usually cannot get another plate if you lose it or it will cost more than tripod. if you could tell me your budget we can better advise you.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Get the Celestron Coach's tripod

It is right here at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-936...gateway&sr=8-3

This is the tripod you want and do not let the cheap price fool you. Yeah, it doesn't fold down into a breadbasket but unless you are taking it on the carryon luggage, do you really need one that folds down into a breadbasket?

I have had mine for over 15 years and it has traveled across the nation. Has a couple dings too but still works great. What sets this tripod a dozen levels above the rest is that it has those two fine adjustment knobs, one for windage and the other for elevation. This is the Coach's tripod that was sold by Champions Choice for many years and was recommended for the unertl "big eyes" duel spotting scopes mounted side by side. Personally, if I have any carrying to do, this is the tripod I use and have no qualms using it under my Kowa Highlanders.

Those two adjustment knobs make it simple to zero a high magnification spotting scope or track a planet in the sky with respect to the rotation of the earth. Find a ship almost over the horizon twenty miles out?, no problem getting the scope or camera on it.

I have long since lost the aluminum lens holder because I replaced it with a circular cutting block for a shelf (excellent beer holder). Furthermore, with the extended bolt on the circular cutting block, it provides a place to attach additional steel weights for extra stability in the wind. I manufactured a ten pound steel weight and have never had the need to add more weight even with the heavy glass on top.

If you are planning to do any astronomy work with it, you will need to get a monfrotto ball head to give you the required elevation.

Personally I also obtained a cheap case off ebay to protect it.

It is almost as stable as my Sokkisia tripod which is a heavy wooden tripod designed for high dollar survey instruments. I would have no hesitation to mount my ancient theodolite on the celestron tripod if it was compatible. I cannot say how convenient the celestron is.

HOpe this helps

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com