Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Huntsman22 yours sure gets used as intended. Thanks for posting all the great photos.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hunting with the Ruger Red Label 20 ga.

I love the photos Huntsman22 posted, every game except the deer. The other guns left at home in the gun safe must feel neglected. Years back I bought a Ruger all weather 12 ga. which had a synthetic stock and was bright stainless. I had the gun coated in black teflon and it became my duck/goose/deer gun for many years. Hunting is pretty much behind me now, it will go to my son-in-law when he gets ready for it.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a 20 gauge Red Label around 1980. Hunted pheasant with it over a German Shorthair named Jake. It had a really nice stock. AA-AAA. I also had a Ruger #1A 30-06 with a matching stock. Looked like they came from the same piece of wood. Unfortunately dirty politics cost me and a whole lot of other people our jobs and I was forced to sell most everything. Sold the Red Label and #1 as a pair for a premium. I still have a hatred for self serving politicians. A lot of people lost everything they had and the politicians did not care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 02:13 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Always wanted one when they first came out but couldn't afford it then. Now I don't hunt much. Great pics, guys.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Was my favorite shotgun, but had to sell it last month due to being out of work for 9 months now. It was the best shooting shotgun I ever owned. Mine was also a 20 ga.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to here you had to sell, Grizzy. I hope it went to a good new custodian.

The tracking says it will be delivered to my FFL today. Soon, very soon, I shall hold one again. And, this one will be mine. At least for a while.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
For what a paid, I probably could have bought a new Beretta or Browning. Both look to be really fine shotguns. But, in the end I really wanted that "American Made" Ruger that caught my eye and imagination all those years ago. Even if the only way it could happen was to buy used.
Apparently a lot of people feel the same way, judging from the prices these guns are bringing. Bill Ruger must be spinning in his grave, furious -- he could hardly give the things away when he was making them.

You will probably have a lot of fun with yours, though 13-1/2" of pull is not enough for most adult males. Someone cut 7/8" off of it for a kid or something.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Apparently a lot of people feel the same way, judging from the prices these guns are bringing. Bill Ruger must be spinning in his grave, furious -- he could hardly give the things away when he was making them.

You will probably have a lot of fun with yours, though 13-1/2" of pull is not enough for most adult males. Someone cut 7/8" off of it for a kid or something.
Agree. Last year a similar 20g went for over $2,000. There's a very nice engraved 20g, with case, pistol grip, gorgeous wood, that I'll be surprised if it doesn't also exceed $2,000 in bids.

I'm looking at either a Morgan https://morganrecoilpad.com/ or simply a LimbSaver Classic 10001 to perhaps adjust the length of pull if I need to. I understand that the LimbSaver 10001 fits the Red Label stocks well. I figure, this may be the gun that could get my wife and daughters to enjoy some shooting and allow the gun some flexibility fit them better as well. We'll see, leaning towards the Morgan.

Last edited by Bradical; 07-17-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:03 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Length of pull...

I had to take a bit off of the stock and had a bird hunting pad put on, slippery at the top so as to not get hung up when mounting the gun. If you hunt where it's cold and wear a warm coat, the full length stocks often get in the way. When you have those, you need to throw the gun forward, then pull it back to your shoulder. So maybe for a child or small person, or maybe for cold weather hunting.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:10 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ive fit the Morg to several rifles, I like the working the alum plate to the stock way better than the synthetics on most buttpads.
Both screw holes may not line up, one may, and if there is enough wood away from the existing second hole it is an easy drill out. But if too close fit a length of dowel and glue in, let set and drill for the new.
With the alum plate screwed down snug mark the outline from the stock with a scribe, remove the plate and start roughing it down. One of those '4 in 1' files works a treat on alum. Mind the angle at the toe. Power equipment is faster....and makes big mistakes faster too.
When you get close to the line take your time, be fresh and attentive, refit it to the wood often but Never be tempted to work it while on the wood! Dont ask......
Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The seller called me this afternoon. Super nice guy. He claimed he barely used the gun. He also said the stock was not shortened, but that he sent it back to Ruger to have the pad replaced since the old one became sticky. He said that Ruger put the smaller/shorter pad on the gun. Since I do plan to use this upland birding, it will be used during the colder months. It may fit just fine as is over the fall and winter coats.

I'm leaving to go pick it up in 10 minutes.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's on my bench and she's a little beauty. The gun is super clean. Everything fits and functions flawlessly. A range will report will have to wait for cooler days.

She came in a new Ruger box from the time the previous owner had sent it in for the new butt pad.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-17-2019, 05:59 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That is as nice a gun as I have ever seen.

That is as nice a gun as I have ever seen. Congratulations.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:02 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a gorgeous stock!

It should fit your wife and daughters perfect.

If you will either reload light 20-ga. (3/4 oz) loads, or find some Fiocchi Trainers, the gals will probably have a lot of fun shooting. The gun weighs under 7 lbs, which is too light for kids (and most women) to shoot standard 20-ga. loads in very long, especially when first starting out. Heck, I can't even shoot more than about one round of skeet with those.

You may have to call around to find the Fiocchi Trainers, and possibly have some shipped to you. They will be well worth the trouble.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
That is a gorgeous stock!

It should fit your wife and daughters perfect.

If you will either reload light 20-ga. (3/4 oz) loads, or find some Fiocchi Trainers, the gals will probably have a lot of fun shooting. The gun weighs under 7 lbs, which is too light for kids (and most women) to shoot standard 20-ga. loads in very long, especially when first starting out. Heck, I can't even shoot more than about one round of skeet with those.

You may have to call around to find the Fiocchi Trainers, and possibly have some shipped to you. They will be well worth the trouble.
Thanks for the tip on the Fiocchi Trainers. That's a great idea.

When I shoulder this gun with a t-shirt, just like with other RRL I've had a chance to shoulder, the comb height had my eye looking right down along the sight rail at the brass beed. Not to high, not to low. I was so jazzed, I forgot to check how close my thumb was to my cheek. I guess I'll have to take it out and just have to handle it again.