Wind direction, which is the hardest for you? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:57 PM
John45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Well today we had a predominant right to left wind. Not much but enough. Well that was until it switched to left to right and then back again. You know the drill. Wind was pretty much from about 1 to 3. Tails would stand straight out sometimes. Didn't shoot then. But I found it's not that bad now as I've progressed in this sport. My hold off was just to the right and down a tad and that seemed to work very well. I made a picture diagram in my note book so I don't have to reinvent this wheel again, until I do. Now I have to figure out why, when I hold off and it's blowing a bit, the stupid bullet goes exactly where I aimed it.

I actually enjoy shooting in the wind. It makes it very interesting and rewarding when one goes dead center and down the line you hear "darn". Now to figure out head and tail winds, those I do NOT like and try not to shoot in that condition if i can.

Last edited by John45; 07-13-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:15 PM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like Lee said, there is a load of good info in Kennys post.
Todd
Old 07-13-2019, 04:34 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
When it's from the South, and blows Herself's front door flower pots over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cant stand dead calms. When the wind drops and all the tails hang still i refuse to shoot.

I also have problems with head and tail winds.

Our ranges tend to have very twitchy winds wichh can bite you quickly. Im still trying to learn how to pick more than one condition to shoot in.

Also i have learnec if i hold over to never hold outside the 10 ring or im guaranteed the %%%% will hit where i aimed for some reason.

But im a complete amateur and still trying to learn. It can be very frustrating but fun at the same time.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Holding off but still never outside the 10 for anything might be a good idea, I'll have to give that a try
Old 07-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Holding off but still never outside the 10 for anything might be a good idea, I'll have to give that a try
What if you have no choice? this last match wind was such I was holding at 4-oclock at the edge of the 7-ring and some shots I was at the edge of the black 6 ring.

you have to shoot sighters and go by that, I lost 16-points because I took 4-shots while looking thru the scope and got caught.

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 07-13-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:40 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
As my high-power friend Charlie says,"shoot the conditions". If you must hold 7, so be it
Last shoot I watched another friend shoot right over Every Chicken (10) at 160yds because he didnt want to believe there was mirage and his sighters were clean center hits. Couldnt see it boil but all the shots went predictably high.
I remember from training to 'trust the compass'. By the same token, believe what the shots tell ya. Adapt and adjust.
Even so, I am amazed at how I can hold off and call it wrong so much after so many years......
If this was easy everybody would be doin' it.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m going to expose myself as a beginner hobby shooter.

How many flags can you guys see in the scope? With the scope X’s I see mentioned here I’m thinkin none?

I shoot right handed, my flag is just to the left of the card.

What else is there to do?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911nut View Post
Im going to expose myself as a beginner hobby shooter.

How many flags can you guys see in the scope? With the scope Xs I see mentioned here Im thinkin none?

I shoot right handed, my flag is just to the left of the card.

What else is there to do?
Shoot with your eyes off the scope and watching your flags. this is the only way to learn conditions, shoot a sighter and adjust then watch for that condition off the scope, it takes some practice but once you get use to it, you will see the difference on your scores.

Lee
Old 07-13-2019, 11:50 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Shoot with your eyes off the scope and watching your flags. this is the only way to learn conditions, shoot a sighter and adjust then watch for that condition off the scope, it takes some practice but once you get use to it, you will see the difference on your scores.

Lee
Are you guys shooting off one piece rests? The local matches I shoot are front rest and a rear bag, no one piece rests.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:36 AM
Thejet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot with separate rear bag and front rest

Justin
If your rest setup will stay where you put the dot then you can shoot with your head up.
If not then if you place your flags at the correct height and in a dead straight line you can by keeping both eyes open see both flags and target at the same time.

Takes a bit of practice but your brain will superimpose them both together
The problem though in doing this is if a change is coming through from the right and your right handed the scope will block any view of this

The only draw back if you could call it one of shooting with your head up is that you don't know where the previous shot went till you aim up for the next one
Its a matter of trust in your setup and hold offs but you must have trust in your complete setup and hold offs to ever shoot as well as you are capable off

Hope this makes sense
Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejet View Post
Justin
If your rest setup will stay where you put the dot then you can shoot with your head up.
If not then if you place your flags at the correct height and in a dead straight line you can by keeping both eyes open see both flags and target at the same time.

Takes a bit of practice but your brain will superimpose them both together
The problem though in doing this is if a change is coming through from the right and your right handed the scope will block any view of this

The only draw back if you could call it one of shooting with your head up is that you don't know where the previous shot went till you aim up for the next one
Its a matter of trust in your setup and hold offs but you must have trust in your complete setup and hold offs to ever shoot as well as you are capable off

Hope this makes sense
Thanks. I shoot LH and put my flag on my right where I can see it in the peripheral with my non aiming eye. I am just starting to learn to read flags and have only used the one I built shooting at home and in a couple matches.

Here in KY with the hills and trees it seems the wind is constantly changing speed and direction so when you get a favorable wind you better be ready because it's not going to last long.

Last edited by justinp61; 07-14-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Dubhane
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
As a newer outside shooter, don't let this thread scare you. You see where some hate left to right, some hate right to left, some hate headwind, some hate tailwind...you'd think nobody would have a prayer hitting that dot!

Some of the people who responded in this thread are some of the best in the country. Todd is one heck of a shooter, as is highdollar. Ben (The Jet) is one heck of a shooter and a great guy too! He finished 8th in the last PSL match. And that's saying something! Never shot with Lee or Mike but both know of what they speak. All of these people have shot a lot and shot well. Take their advice.

It's not as bad as it is made out to be, but you do need to learn your wind flags, and IMHO you really need windmeters. Certain types of flags can kind of serve as both if you figure out the look of the props or tails. But reading push will gain you more points than reading velocity. At least to me.

I'd also say to a new shooter to learn what your ammo likes to do in wind. You'll find that great ammo moves less than good ammo, and good ammo moves less than bad ammo. But bad ammo is just bad ammo.

Do learn your flags, use the best ammo you can find and then learn which conditions can bite you. When you learn those, learn not to pull the trigger in them! Believe me, it's a hard thing to do when you're sitting there and hoping time doesn't run out on you. And use all the time you have. I've missed shots on targets that cost me a lot in the final standings. Trying to fit a shot in here and there when I was afraid on time. Yet, a shift here, a change here and the next thing I know I've got a great condition and finish the target with no misses and a few minutes to spare. Would have loved to have those "forced" shots back. Yes, sometimes you can run a target in just a couple of minutes and do very well. But in general, use all the time you have. You don't get it back and it can help you. Never think you'll run out of time as if you do, you can still at least hope to pick up some points even if nothing but luck is involved. But usually you do ok if you're forced to shoot at the end.

Generally, I'd say everyone likes a nice steady consistent breeze. Nobody really likes dead calm that I know of. If you can find a condition that works, shoot it and don't try to force your shots into those little "lulls". Don't try to beat a lull or rush a shot to beat the wind picking up. You'll miss a lot of times as the flags never show the actual condition quickly enough.

With time and experience you'll find yourself more comfortable shooting in certain conditions. Not saying you won't blow chunks here and there, it just happens...but overall you'll figure some things out.

Where you really see the difference is when you watch someone on top of their game shooting in a condition that everyone at the range is sitting out. I saw Jason Thornhill put on a clinic down at Kettlefoot in May. The people there were the best in the country and even most of them wouldn't pull the trigger in the conditions he was shooting. Just unreal what he accomplished.

Stick with it, and just have fun. I would advise to shoot one shot per bull though. Treat every shot as if you were in a match and it will count. Groups can sometimes give us a false sense of our or our rifle's abilities. When that one shot counts for everything is where you'll know if you figured correctly on hold.

Good luck

Kenny
Thanks for the sage advice Kenny.
I'll be going to the range this week and will try your suggestions. My range is hosting an IR50/50 shoot Aug. 3rd. and I plan to attend so that, I can observe what others are doing.

Regards,
Duane
Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Highdollar

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Lots of folk will never look through the scope when firing. Only to adjust. They set it for the most frequent condition-and when the flags line up they shoot. It is fun and it works. My favorite condition is when the front 2 flags are exactly the opposite the rear 2 flags.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Dubhane
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
If you read all what Kenny just wrote, it is obvious he has done all the things he says not to do.
this is advice from a shooter who has been there and done that. Great advice Kenny.
now if I can keep reminding myself to follow it, but at least I am shooting more heads up, which really is helping.

Dubhane, I would copy and print the above advice and read it before every range session, it is a testament of what any new shooter needs to do to get good at reading conditions. also never not shoot if the wind is blowing, seen guys go home when they saw what they had to shoot in and didn't want to waste the ammo, if you learn every time you shoot you are not wasting ammo IMO.

Kenny Thank you for reminding me of all the things I should be doing, again! also to all the others who have been there and done it Thank you for the replies.

Thanks,
Lee

P.S glad you still are posting
Thanks Lee, I will be following Kenny's advice and the advice of others here as well. Also, thank you for starting this thread, it has come at the perfect time for me. I have learned a great deal from the posts on RFC, it is a great resource and I have always been a fan of your posts.

Duane