Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:00 PM
fast14riot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which rifle for silhouette?

My semi-local range is rebuilding their small bore silhouette range after years of not being used, and I would like to set up one of my rimfire for it. I have a Rem 582, a savage 4c and a Glenfield 60. My 582 has the best options for triggers and is an excellent shooter but tube fed, the 4c is standard magazine fed, and the glenfield is semi auto. All are basically stock. Will be doing scope and trigger on whichever one I choose.

Which one would you choose, and why? Also, looking for an inexpensive scope to suit small bore, with target turrets.

-Xander
Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'd pick the one that fits and balances the best (assuming it's accurate enough.)

All things being equal between those three regarding fit/balance and accuracy, I'd pick the 582 solely based on your comment of trigger. Tubefed is no hindrance. I can load a tube just as fast as a magazine and trigger is one of, if not the most important piece of equipment for shooting well. Keep in mind that if they're going to follow the NRA silhouette rules, you'll have to be at least 2lbs on trigger pull weight.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy View Post
Keep in mind that if they're going to follow the NRA silhouette rules, you'll have to be at least 2lbs on trigger pull weight....
...if you want to compete in hunter class. Otherwise it falls into the standard class which only requires a "safe" trigger. (won't go off on a bump test)
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 12:00 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Most of the guys I've met who shoot Silhouette on a regular basis use a scope with a good AO on it and mark the ranges on the AO for each target- Ram, etc... for the range once they establish the best focus for that target range.
I can't remember what the rules are anymore as I haven't shot Silhouette in 20 years or so, but a good Leupold in the 12x to 24X range with AO seems to be very popular with many shooters...

If it were me, I would also choose the 582 for this discipline of the three choices you mentioned.

Bob
Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 PM
fast14riot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was leaning toward the 582, current stock trigger is near 6lbs, so I will be fitting a modified 788 trigger to get it down to close to 2lbs. I was thinking something fixed power in the 12x to 16x range for a scope. I will be looking around for a good deal.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
...if you want to compete in hunter class. Otherwise it falls into the standard class which only requires a "safe" trigger. (won't go off on a bump test)
True enough, but I'd hate for a new shooter with a factory rifle to fall into a standard class based on trigger when the rest of the rifle is very much intended for hunter class.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast14riot View Post
I was thinking something fixed power in the 12x to 16x range for a scope. I will be looking around for a good deal.
If silhouette is something you think you might do long term, I wouldn't buy a fixed power scope. I think an experienced shooter needs the ability to learn what they like. Different shooters have different preferences and usually those preferences are defined by shooting over time with varying magnifications until that preference is built. I see shooters shoot on 6X and know a shooter that shoots on 60X (not a typo). Most shooters end up landing somewhere around 24X for whatever it's worth.

I would encourage you to look at variable scopes in the 6-24X range just to allow you to experiment with different magnifications rather than buying once and then having to buy again if you ever want to change magnifications. Variable scopes are usually heavier than fixed power, but that is probably of no concern of yours with the 582 unless I'm way off on what I guess it to way. Hunter class is 8lb 8oz and standard class is 10lbs 2oz.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:42 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I personally wouldn't worry about which gun. I would just go and have fun and see if you like it. No since of being the guy who has all the gear then never do it again.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
I personally wouldn't worry about which gun. I would just go and have fun and see if you like it. No since of being the guy who has all the gear then never do it again.
+1. Since the range has not been used in years and are planning to rebuild, do you know if there is any interest to start up a SB Silhouette group and shoot NRA competition? Or would the group be shooting just for fun? Big Difference.

If for fun only, if were me, use whatever rifle and in this case, you are not having to worry about weight or classification. If you are able to set up a group of people, pick an evening you all will shoot together. Could be a weekend too. Maybe some one will want to be the Director and apply for NRA sanctioned tournaments, or go strictly by NRA rules or bring whatever .22 and shoot.

Will your distances be 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters?

Good luck in establishing a regular active group and keep us posted!
Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Tube-fed would be a liability on our range. Magazines can be loaded at any time but you can't put ammo in the rifle until "Ready" has been called. Maybe it's fast enough dumping rounds in from a tube - I dunno and no one who brings a tube-fed rifle to our matches seems to know about those.

Other than that, good trigger, enough magnification on the scope and comfortable to shoot are more important than ultimate accuracy.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tube shouldn't be a problem. At lever action silhouette matches, a tube feed is mandatory.

Btw, here in Texas, NRA lever action silhouette seems to be much more popular than hunter rifle.