Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 PM
brucear
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool Smith & Wesson Performance Center

Call Smith & Wesson performance center today and asked if I could get my 617 worked on I was wanting the master revolver action package done to my 617 the guy told me they'd have my gun for 6 months. Have any of you sent your 617 in to get worked on and have they told you six months and if so what has been the turnaround time.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:35 PM
JGreen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In for replies.
I’ve been extremely curious what they do to the actions in their package, on the 617, due to needing a harder “strike” of the primer than a centerfire and that relates to the mainspring, which relates to DA pull.
They must work the action and play with strain screw length while maintains reliability.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:27 AM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The action works involves stoning or smoothing all the contact surfaces within the action. The springs and the strain screw are not altered. The smoothing of the surfaces of the sear engagement reduces friction and therefore allows for a clean crisp trigger while actually increasing hammer speed.
As to the OPís question, I recently called about sending my 629 in for some P.C work and was told 6 months or so by the representative. I decided that was too long so I declined. Thinking about it latter, I called back and was told three months by another representative. It appear to me that the reps are giving out CYA turn around times. I sent my revolver in so, I will wait and find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 AM
brucear
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jdavis
Keep us informed on how long it takes please
Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 PM
BR54
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sent my model 41 back twice to the performance center, each time it was kept over 6 months. They had it over a year, and still not fixed.

Also have a 617, put in a Jerry Miculek main spring, did wonders for the DA.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 PM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucear View Post
Jdavis
Keep us informed on how long it takes please
Will do..
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 AM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update:
I just received a letter with an estimate for the work that was requested. This comes five weeks after revolver was shipped. The latter states that work will not commence until payment is received. I will try to contact them today but, I believe that the S&W two week hiatus begins today.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:08 PM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It bothers me that so many owners and buyers want to send their revolvers back to the factory for improvements or " Performance " package as they call it. I say this cause there are lots of highly qualified S&W mechanics out their who can do SO much more to your guns than Springfield. When I went through gunsmith schools back in the early to mid 80's we had instructors like Ron Power and Hamilton Bowen both the best of the American Pistolsmiths Guild. There are others of course but not everybody comes out of these schools as stars so it's no different than HIgh school but they are out there.

If these smiths are good then they are busy and there is a wait time but what does the factory offer ? Six months and from what I've tested and seen not much for your trouble and pesos. I've been through several factory armorers classes which are great for repairs and restoring a piece 's functionality but they aren't about to cross the liability line to instruct one to do a full on action job. The factory won't do it either. As they told Davis we don't touch the springs ? They like Ruger have to toe the line on legal liability. So if you're lucky you have a good honest mechanic within driving distance otherwise word of mouth like those at a match or other events may be you're best bet. All the gunsmiths that are members of the American Pistolsmiths Guild will be exceptional and busy but a call can't hurt.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I don't know whether it bothers me or not. However, there are many advantages to working with a local smith. One is not having to ship the piece. The second is having an actual identifiable person responsible for the quality of the work. I got a new 617 with an iffy crown this spring. Rather than deal with shipping and a faceless "smith," at the factory I took it down the road to Karl Sokol. I trust that guy implicitly and he certainly knows his way around a revolver. I go to Karl a couple of times a year with projects and pay cash on delivery. In return I get a knowledgeable guy working on my revolver and a handshake on the quality of the work.

Should the S&W crown have been perfect and given a symmetrical powder pattern? Yup. But in the real world it make sense to have the work done right by a guy I trust.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:33 PM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGreen View Post
In for replies.
Iíve been extremely curious what they do to the actions in their package, on the 617, due to needing a harder ďstrikeĒ of the primer than a centerfire and that relates to the mainspring, which relates to DA pull.
They must work the action and play with strain screw length while maintains reliability.
I think I should straighten the record on mainspring loading rimfire vs center fire. You noted that rim fires need harder hits for reliable ignition and I know a lot of shooters believe that to be a fact. It's not. Here are the facts on setting a mainspring which is checked with a gauge hooked to the hammer cylinder open.

K-frame rimfire should be 38-40 oz
" " with target hammer 40-42 oz
K, L , N frame centerfire 46-48 oz
" " target hammer 52oz

I should note that blue springs require a bit more loading while newer stainless springs do not. Customized or re-shaped and polished springs can hit hard with less pounds but it's variable. Wolf springs are very close to factory from my experience only 20 years ago.

Often ignition problems with 22 ammo has to do with inconsistent rim thickness, inconsistent allow hardness, variables in primers and rounds that may not fully seat in the chamber due to variations in rim dimensions and/or case walls. A hammer falling on a improperly seated rimfire or centerfire ends up wasting much of its impact weight on pushing the case in instead of igniting

Rick
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Iím surprised that they now will do custom action work on a rimfire.
Years ago they wouldnít do it.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
However, there are many advantages to working with a local smith. One is not having to ship the piece. The second is having an actual identifiable person responsible for the quality of the work. I got a new 617 with an iffy crown this spring. Rather than deal with shipping and a faceless "smith," at the factory I took it down the road to Karl Sokol. I trust that guy implicitly and he certainly knows his way around a revolver. I go to Karl a couple of times a year with projects and pay cash on delivery. In return I get a knowledgeable guy working on my revolver and a handshake on the quality of the work.

Should the S&W crown have been perfect and given a symmetrical powder pattern? Yup. But in the real world it make sense to have the work done right by a guy I trust.
That's fine if you have a good "local" smith to deal with. For most of us it still a toss of the coin in trying to find one. I have a mod. 48 that is in the hospital now. My fingers are crossed that I found one only 115 miles away.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:24 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongochicago View Post
That's fine if you have a good "local" smith to deal with. For most of us it still a toss of the coin in trying to find one. I have a mod. 48 that is in the hospital now. My fingers are crossed that I found one only 115 miles away.
You make a good point! Hope your Model 48 comes through shootin'.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:09 PM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finding a good and qualified revolver gunsmith in driving distance isn’t an easy thing to do in this age of auto loaders and plastic wonder guns. I did find a smith who was willing to do the work but was vague about pricing and turn around time. Shipping a firearm for an unlicensed individual is an expensive proposition. This is where sending the gun back to S&W begins to make sense. They will send you a shipping label and will only add about $15 to your bill on return. Adding to the comfort of sending it back is the fact that the factory will have any and all special equipment needed to perform any work requested. The Performance Center has a reputation for having their most talented smiths doing quality work unlike their general repair work. I don’t care that the smith that does the work is some faceless guy because shipping to a private smith would be equally faceless. The reputation of the Performance Center, the cost, and convenience are my primary reasons for dealing with S&W for such work. I mean no disrespect to the qualified gunsmiths who certainly can do great work.

Last edited by jdavis; 08-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:01 AM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jdavis, all I can say is that if you're happy with the " most talented smiths " then that's great cause S&W needs a loyal customer base. However I seriously doubt that you have ever had a first class comp level action job in your hands otherwise you couldn't possibly make such a statement. The difference is major on so many levels. I'm not anti S&W as I made a living with their products for a while but most readers here need to understand that forums like this are stages for people with often rare or isolated problems. Thousands of others are enjoying their handguns with little or no knowledge of the Service Dept. I've related some of Smith & Wesson's internal history on this site before but again they are not a factory full of gun people in fact most have no idea what they are making or any interest in handguns. Remember this is Massachusetts.

So when the British bought them in the 1980's they were led by Steve Melvyn who told the world he was going full CNC which is fine but he used this guise to sweep the floors clean of older higher priced experience mechanics. A pure accounting move. This included the original Custom Shop which contained many of the finest pistol and revolversmiths in captivity and whom guaranteed not only hand fitted smooth reliable functioning guns but accuracy too. These guys needed parts so without them on the payroll why house, store and maintain savvy parts people. The 41's and 52's shipped with targets as did some many CS jobs ? Since then the firm has changed owners more times than I can count and spent more money on advertising than QA. Melvyn used to say that QA wont be as integral once CNC took over. Well it sure has. So if all you need is a factory certified parts changer who can't cross the line then you'll be happy and that's all that counts.

Last edited by WRF; 07-31-2019 at 12:14 PM.