Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I ground one from a 1/16'" pin punch. I did it by hand using a bench grinder. I needed to remove links from a watch band. I've used it numerous times for this among several family members. Just go slow and keep it cool.

Like stated Brownell's and Amazon have them. Brownell's used to sell the different sized replacement pins without having to replace the complete punch when you bend a pin.
Arrowhead, thanks...Amazon said currently out of stock. Saw Brownell's pins, may try them. After my ground-down (sides) of my 1/16th punch worked I wonder if I will ever have the need again.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:01 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Tool users have been modifying existing tools into specialty tools forever and for cheap.
Tool Junkies buy expensive specialty tools. Sometimes I buy once expensive, once/rarely used tools for cheap off gun show tables.
Im a bit of both but not against trying the mod method first before deciding.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:26 AM
2152hq

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the ever growing container of allen wrenches that I accumulate to make small punches.

They are just about the right hardness/temper.
I grind a V on opposing sides just below the short arm and snap it off.
Then clean up that end of the remaining long length if it needs it on the grinder or belt grinder. I leave a small taper or point on that end.

Make a handle from most any scrap metal,,steel, brass, aluminum. 1/4" seems handy.
Drill a hole in the end of the 'handle' idealy so the now straight allan wrench piece will just fit with a bit of a help when held in a vise and the handle tapped into place.

Even if it's a bit loose, epoxy or Loctite can save it for you. So can peening the handle all around to close up the hole.

Now you have the Hex shaped allen wrench for a punch. Use it as is if you want to. They are strong in this cross section style.
I do on some,,others I grind them round & thinner by spinning them carefully by hand against a belt grinder. Don't over heat.

While you are at it, you can put a little taper at the nose of the handle where it meets the punch itself for easier handling and work. That if you don't remember to do add that feature before putting the thing together.

Those really tiny allan wrenches make good tiny pin punches.

Don't make the punches overly long for the job they have to do. The excessive length will just bend and buckle when trying to punch out a stubborn pin.
Use a shorty to get the pin started and follow up with a punch length needed to drive the pin through.
You can never have too many punches it seems,,kinda like screwdrivers.