Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:06 PM
oldbird13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Need smaller than 1/16th drive punch...

Any suggestions on where to find/how to make a punch to drive out ejector/extractor pins that are smaller than a 1/16th Sterrett punch. Appreciate any guidance/suggestions. Thanks, Oldbird13
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Take a small brad and clip off the head with a wire cutter. Then chuck it up in a drill and run the drill while holding 100 grit sandpaper around the brad and run the drill slowly until the brad is diameter you need. Stick the pointy end in a dowel, and you're good to go.

That's what I would do anyway. The dowel is optional.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try metric. 1mm = 0.040".

Just watch out - itty bitty punches are easy to break..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Find the numbered drill bit size you need, carefully drill it into a piece of spare/scrap stock of a handy size and shape to a depth that leaves enough of the drill bit shank exposed to use it as the tip of the punch. Then if you have luckily not broken the bit drilling the stock, insert the fluted end into the drilled hole with glue and you have a perfectly sized punch to your needs. I made one from a #41 drill bit yesterday. Just make sure if your driving roll pins with it that the newly made punch has a square end and not a chamfered end to keep from driving the pin wide in the hole.

Tad
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_E View Post
Find the numbered drill bit size you need, carefully drill it into a piece of spare/scrap stock of a handy size and shape to a depth that leaves enough of the drill bit shank exposed to use it as the tip of the punch. Then if you have luckily not broken the bit drilling the stock, insert the fluted end into the drilled hole with glue and you have a perfectly sized punch to your needs. I made one from a #41 drill bit yesterday. Just make sure if your driving roll pins with it that the newly made punch has a square end and not a chamfered end to keep from driving the pin wide in the hole.

Tad
That's good advice Tad_E!

Brownells has a replaceable pin punch set you might check out.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...aspx?rrec=true

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I use hardened drill rod chucked up in a pin vise.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:28 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Take a small brad and clip off the head with a wire cutter. Then chuck it up in a drill and run the drill while holding 100 grit sandpaper around the brad and run the drill slowly until the brad is diameter you need. Stick the pointy end in a dowel, and you're good to go.

That's what I would do anyway. The dowel is optional.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Good idea, thanks! Was in the garage tonight working on a, new to me. Winchester Model 69 and her younger sister Model 69A. I wanted to take the extractor out and the holes on the bottom of the bolt are too small for a 1/16th pin punch so I took one of my spare 1/16th punches and carefully held and rotated the side of the punch until it fit. Also tried for the heck of it to slim done a beat-up brass punch. Brass punch was too weak for the job.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Try metric. 1mm = 0.040".

Just watch out - itty bitty punches are easy to break..
Searched on the net for smaller pins but had no luck. The steel one I ground tonight worked but I put drops of Kroil into the holes ahead of time to give me the best chance. All OK now. Thanks
Old 06-23-2019, 10:34 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_E View Post

Tad
Winner, winner chicken dinner. Ladies & gentlemen the prize goes to Tad_E. Knowing not all bits are created equal, any recommendation on brand? Thanks!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:54 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird13 View Post
Good idea, thanks! Was in the garage tonight working on a, new to me. Winchester Model 69 and her younger sister Model 69A. I wanted to take the extractor out and the holes on the bottom of the bolt are too small for a 1/16th pin punch so I took one of my spare 1/16th punches and carefully held and rotated the side of the punch until it fit. Also tried for the heck of it to slim done a beat-up brass punch. Brass punch was too weak for the job.
Let out a few details, "held and rotated the side of the punch shaft with my bench grinder".
Old 06-23-2019, 11:27 PM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird13 View Post
Winner, winner chicken dinner. Ladies & gentlemen the prize goes to Tad_E. Knowing not all bits are created equal, any recommendation on brand? Thanks!
I'm sure there is a better way but this is quick, easy, and doesn't have to be permanent if the job doesn't require it to be that used up. Especially if you can get away with using aluminum stock for the handle section but we aren't always that lucky unfortunately. I am just using el-cheapo bit sets from harbor freight that's a combination number, letter, and fractional set and often enough I don't mind using some of the odd sizes for things like this. Not sure if they are this cheap now but the whole set used to be able to be bought for about $60 so it is extremely economical I think. Don't get me wrong this is far from a high quality drill bit set but I can do everything I need to with them as long as I am careful. If they break they break and I don't sweat it either. They hold sharpness decently but about 30% of the bits brand new aren't as sharp as I would like them to be so they get a little facing on the bench grinder before the first use. No big deal to me though at the price point. Most people wouldn't know the difference between before and after I do the amount of sharpening I am talking about too though. A person needs to measure these bits as they use them if a thousandth one way or another means something to you because some of the bit sizes can be a little off of what they should be. Your milage may vary. Hope this helps.

Tad
Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Punch.../dp/B00KBMUWVY

Rich
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ground one from a 1/16'" pin punch. I did it by hand using a bench grinder. I needed to remove links from a watch band. I've used it numerous times for this among several family members. Just go slow and keep it cool.

Like stated Brownell's and Amazon have them. Brownell's used to sell the different sized replacement pins without having to replace the complete punch when you bend a pin.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Drill bits are supposed to be harder on the tips and lips than the shanks. Supposed to be; probably hard to control that on tiny bits and if you have ever snapped a small bit at the shank, lost depth control and driven or skated it into the work you know you dont want to be doing that again.
I do not like the idea of using hardened stock, but water or oil hardening drill rod are plenty hard without hardening at all, or you can anneal a drill shank.
For stuck pins a tapered starter punch is best used first to get 'em moving, then go to a pin punch for the through push.
You can easily make a small dia. tip on a 'nail set', good steel, cheap and available in any hardware store or even tool bin at the local 'junk shop'.
They do have a divot in the very end (to hold the finish nail head) so be sure to grind that flat lest you mar your gun pin.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hobby shops and some hardware stores have "piano" or "music" wire in 3 foot long pieces of different diameters. Hard to cut, really tough, won't snap off like a drill bit will.

Just searched and Hobby Lobby has 12" long pieces for 2 bucks. .047" and 4 smaller sizes.
I've notched cheap dikes trying to cut this stuff, best to use cut-off wheel in moto tool.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 06-24-2019 at 10:52 AM.