Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Unhappy Rats, rats & more rats!

I had a friend - who shall remain both nameless and blameless - offer to tap the receiver of my old single shot rifle for weaver scope mounts. The friend did it and I noticed that the weaver mounts might be a little bit off. When I mounted a scope it was worse than I feared. With the scope windage maxed out to one side it was still a foot out of of the cross hairs. Mea culpa!

Now what do I do? Can the tapped holes be filled in, re-aligned and re-tapped correctly? Is it time to try Loctite Black Max? Eventually, my friend will ask me where the rifle is and inquire why I haven't shot it at Club matches. I want to bring this rifle back from the dead! Any ideas????

Oy vey!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the Burris rings with the inserts, or the rings that allow windage adjust mints . Or take your gun to a competent gunsmiths and get it done right. They will fill the old holes with filler screws and re tap.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
You could get a new piece of base material and redrill your holes. It won't take much and you should be able to adjust it to work. Otherwise you can weld the holes and redrill correctly.
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just Glue Them On

Quick and painless, removable with a heat gun. No one will ever know! (sorry it happened )
Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hammers method will work especially if you use one or 2 holes that were put in previously.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I realize that the "friend" who did the work on your rifle may in fact be a friend, but you really should tell him what happened. Quite simply, if you don't, he may do other friends rifles in a similar fashion and everyone will be in the same boat. It may be he is using a machine that is out of tram or something similar, but none-the-less it will save others from the same fate. It isn't rocket science after all, but drilling holes must be done correctly.

Rick H.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are several solutions available. It was a fairly common problem "Back in the Day"....

1. Most of "Ye Olde Fashioned Scope Bases and Rings" had significant adjustment built into them for misalignment on the receiver for this exact reason.

For example - can you change to a 1-piece adjustable Leupold base? They have a LOT of adjustment built into the base....

2. If you want to use the front and rear weaver bases - file off one side and shim the other to realign the scope with the bore.

3. Start with a set of un-drilled bases and drill the holes in the bases to align things correctly.

3b. Start with an un-drilled 1-piece weaver base and drill the holes to align it correctly.

4. Have a gunsmith make you an offset base on either the front or rear.

5. Burris rings previously mentioned.

6. Shim your scope rings over to one side by shimming the dovetail on the fixed side. Alternatively file the dovetail on your rings deeper on one side to align it properly.

My typical fix is to either get a Leupold 1-piece adjustable base or start by shimming it over via the dovetail on the base/ring. Once I know how much it needs to go over to center things properly - I would get a universal/undrilled base and drill the holes off center by the amount I had to shim.

Last edited by truckjohn; 06-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:19 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some great ideas above-
I bought a 75 Sporter at Cabela's a while back and it had been D&T'd poorly. I bought some Leupold gunsmith bases and found a 15/16" bull nose mill was the right diameter for the action. So, milled the bottom of the bases to match the receiver and measured very carefully and drilled and countersunk for the screws so the bases would align properly to the barrel and action. Not only looks like it is factory, but the Leupold bases give a lot of windage adjustment if necessary.

Seems like a lot of work when the Weaver bases would have worked fine, but I've never really liked the look of Weaver bases. Some Warne bases in the Weaver style might be okay, though...

Bob
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
IF you're going to re-blue/refinish a talented gunsmith can make the holes go away, barring that a base that covers them or the Black Max would be the two things I'd look at.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
So aqbill are you saying the front and rear bases don't align with each other or that they are not top dead center?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Yep, both, actually. One base - the rear was aligned and was spot on. The front had the rear-most screw hole aligned but the front was a bit to the right. Which resulted in a torqued and miss-aligned scope. My Gunsmith put a screw-in rod in the front hole and re-drilled the receiver correctly. Now all is well and I'm again a happy camper!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:30 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqbill View Post
I had a friend - who shall remain both nameless and blameless - offer to tap the receiver of my old single shot rifle for weaver scope mounts. The friend did it and I noticed that the weaver mounts might be a little bit off. When I mounted a scope it was worse than I feared. With the scope windage maxed out to one side it was still a foot out of of the cross hairs. Mea culpa!

Now what do I do? Can the tapped holes be filled in, re-aligned and re-tapped correctly? Is it time to try Loctite Black Max? Eventually, my friend will ask me where the rifle is and inquire why I haven't shot it at Club matches. I want to bring this rifle back from the dead! Any ideas????

Oy vey!
HAD a friend is past tense. People lose friendships when they screw up other's firearms. I know of several.