Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:48 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Just curious

How many have switched from the 17 hmr. to the 17 wsm. for there go to gun for PD, ground squirrel, and other small pests?

I dearly love my 17 hmrs. and have shot thousands of rounds through them. Recently l purchased a 17 wsm. and was blown away at the difference between the two calibers. I have only used it on one outing, but am really impressed. The 17 wsm ammo isnít that much higher and is well worth the extra performance, IMO.

I would be interested in hearing others opinions and experiences.

Wonderdog1
Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had my Savage 93/17 HMR HB SS thumbhole the longest. Then I bought my HB SS Bmag 17 WSM a few years ago. Once I started shooting my 17 WSM on ground squirrels my 17 HMR instantly become a backup or loaner gun.

When Savage came out with the A17 it looked like it would be a fun little gun so I picked up one of those and even though my A17 shoots very well, it's mostly just a plinker/fun gun.

If I could only keep one of the three, it would be an easy choice and it would be my Bmag 17 WSM.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:44 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
B23, only after the one outing, l totally agree. I just wasnít sure if it was just the new gun thing or not. A close friend got a wsm last year and really liked it. He used it exclusively on one shoot we went on and didnít even take his hmr out of the case. That is when l decided to take the plunge. My brother and another friend couldnít resist either.

We are going on a WY. ground squirrel shoot in July and l hope my opinion doesnít change. The down side to this though, is l have a lot of 17 hmr. ammo stock piled and a 17 Hornet with several rounds also. I guess itís a good problem to have.

Thanks for your input.

Wonderdog1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty much the same story here. 1500 rds of hummer ammo I'll never use with 1100 rds of 17WSM stock piled, enough for this life and the next as we have no PDs here.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Schultz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I switched to 17wsm several years ago when ruger came out with their 24 inch 77/17wsm. I had a jard 2lb trigger installed and never looked back. It is very hard to shoot ground squirrels in eastern Oregon with 17hmr now since the 17wsm gives me another 50yds plus and bucks the wind better not to mention the additional impact upon hitting the targets lol.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:11 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Savage 93 HMR as soon as they got into the stores and made some improvements that resulted in a very fine and accurate rifle.

Then the WSM came into the fold and I haven't shot my HMR since. I use mine for small game and varmints. I am overjoyed with my Savage BMAG WSM rifle.

I talked to several pals into buying WSM rifles and they are most happy with them.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Pretty much the same story here. 1500 rds of hummer ammo I'll never use with 1100 rds of 17WSM stock piled, enough for this life and the next as we have no PDs here.
Al, we have no PDs or ground squirrels in the show-me state either. We go a couple times of year to Co. and Wy. My brother finally convinced me to try it several years back and l have been hooked ever since. You owe it to yourself to give it a try. We have met some of the nicest people where we go and the shooting is fantastic. Like any other outdoor activities the weather can really effect your results and some years the targets are over the place, the next not so much. We always have a great time spent with family and friends.

Wonderdog1