Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some info please

At the lgs they have a used , but. Nice 1022 magnum. What I want know is.
How much do they sell for?
Could I use the steel receiver as a 1022 22lr?
Old 06-02-2019, 02:00 AM
edspdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
magnum

Maybe 800.00 if really nice.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:31 AM
rswink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is for 22WMR, not for 22LR/Long/Short.

What are they asking for it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 07:37 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They want less than$800, and I know itís for WMR, my question is can I take off the barrel and bolt replace and use it as a receiver for 22lr. Itís a real nice steel receiver.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:00 AM
ramnob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You want to turn it into a manually cycled and loaded 22lr? Otherwise I think not.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:24 AM
rswink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought it was a different bolt to handle the Magnums, wonder if the difference would still cycle? I just worked a graveyard so I am in no position mentally to go look all that up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnob View Post
You want to turn it into a manually cycled and loaded 22lr? Otherwise I think not.
No I want to put in a bolt charging handle spring trigger group and magazine from a 22lr.

All Iíve read is that itís a steel receiver, good, and has a longer heavier bolt, and a different magazine.

The question is , other than the items that mak it a WMR noted above, can I use this receiver. Is it the same size as a regular 1022 receiver, and will a 1022 bolt run in it?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:39 AM
schiada96

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
No I want to put in a bolt charging handle spring trigger group and magazine from a 22lr.

All Iíve read is that itís a steel receiver, good, and has a longer heavier bolt, and a different magazine.

The question is , other than the items that mak it a WMR noted above, can I use this receiver. Is it the same size as a regular 1022 receiver, and will a 1022 bolt run in it?

Short answer without a bunch of custom crap no you canít.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiada96 View Post
Short answer without a bunch of custom crap no you canít.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, saved me $800 . I really liked the way the receiver looked in steel, to bad they donít use it for the 1022.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WMR

It might have been sold already if you had been specific about the location.

They're getting pretty rare and I wouldn't take $800 for either of the ones I have.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Killer1989

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
At the lgs they have a used , but. Nice 1022 magnum. What I want know is.
How much do they sell for?
Could I use the steel receiver as a 1022 22lr?
Gutting a rare rifle, like the one you describe, and using it for a caliber that it was never intended to use is IMHO not a good idea. If you want an awesome 22lr by all means go for it. For $800 you can get one hell of a rig or build one up and get sub moa groups. I just have never been one to destroy a rare item, like this one, for anything other than the use of 22 WMR through it. If I saw one for sale for that price I would definitely buy it and probably do a trigger job and put a scope on it. Done for that build.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For $790 plus tax I donít think itís like cutting up the Hope diamond, but I get your point. Itís still available, and calling me , but the WMR is generally a hunting round, and while I have one, cz 455fs, and I donít hunt, Iím wondering why I want one, other than itís cool.

What do you guys use them for? Is the operating mechanism that different from a 1022? The trigger that different? I just assumed the parts were beefed up.

Are they shooters out of the box? Or like 1022s need some tweaking?

Why did the stop making them?

Does anyone else make a semi auto WMR?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Killer1989

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
For $790 plus tax I donít think itís like cutting up the Hope diamond, but I get your point. Itís still available, and calling me , but the WMR is generally a hunting round, and while I have one, cz 455fs, and I donít hunt, Iím wondering why I want one, other than itís cool.

What do you guys use them for? Is the operating mechanism that different from a 1022? The trigger that different? I just assumed the parts were beefed up.

Are they shooters out of the box? Or like 1022s need some tweaking?

Why did the stop making them?

Does anyone else make a semi auto WMR?
There is the Savage A22 in 22 WMR, also volquartsen makes rifles semi auto and biathlon style side cocking bolt action rifles in 22 WMR. If I were you if the rifle looks like it's in shootable condition I would definitely buy it. I've been looking for one to pop up for a reasonable price. If you do end up buying it please post pics so we can all see this great new acquisition. I heard they had extractor issues, but a minor issue at that. I want them to make a re-make of the 22 WMR 10/22 and I know there would be a huge demand and following for it.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:15 AM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magnums

Unfortunately, most of the real 10/22 magnum gurus have disappeared from here. They called themselves "maggits" and knew their stuff. The consensus was that Ruger's "fix" for feeding/ejection issues caused more issues. They believed the problem was not a gun thing but a user issue. It's a blowback action and, by the nature of the design, the chamber area will accumulate ignition residue. You have to keep the chamber cleaner than most guys thought necessary. Residue build-up can cause failures to feed, failures to extract/eject, and out-of-battery ignitions (AKA Kabooms). Apparently, Ruger decided they could mitigate such issues by adding a second "extractor" on the left side of the bolt. That created a very thin section on the left-front of the bolt face and when that extractor came adrift, it had nowhere to go and the result was a badly damaged bolt. Ruger was replacing magnum bolts under warranty but stopped doing it right about the time I got my first one. There were stories about guys sending in guns for repair and Ruger refusing to send them back. Their offer was to replace it with another non-10/22. About the same time, they were on the verge of putting a 10/17 HMR on the market. It got close enough that there were owner's manuals published including the 10/17. I've been called out on that statement but I know better. I have one. The .17 caliber conversions required even more regular maintenance due to the bottleneck cartridge being more susceptible to residue build-up in the chamber. There's also an issue with the smaller bore creating a different "pressure spike" than the .22 caliber. This is where tuning the gun comes into play and the maggits agreed each gun had to be treated individually. Heavier springs. Heavy bolt handles. Now we see guys finding ways to add weight to the bolt itself rather than hanging a heavy piece on one side. I'm glad to see it going on but two things will remain. First, if you have a "dual extractor gun", remove the left side extractor. Second, clean your chamber more often than you think necessary. I won't go past 50 rds without pulling a Boresnake through mine whether it's the WMR or the HMR. Same with my HM2 conversions. Believe it or not, this is the short version.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:01 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob View Post
Unfortunately, most of the real 10/22 magnum gurus have disappeared from here. They called themselves "maggits" and knew their stuff. The consensus was that Ruger's "fix" for feeding/ejection issues caused more issues. They believed the problem was not a gun thing but a user issue. It's a blowback action and, by the nature of the design, the chamber area will accumulate ignition residue. You have to keep the chamber cleaner than most guys thought necessary. Residue build-up can cause failures to feed, failures to extract/eject, and out-of-battery ignitions (AKA Kabooms). Apparently, Ruger decided they could mitigate such issues by adding a second "extractor" on the left side of the bolt. That created a very thin section on the left-front of the bolt face and when that extractor came adrift, it had nowhere to go and the result was a badly damaged bolt. Ruger was replacing magnum bolts under warranty but stopped doing it right about the time I got my first one. There were stories about guys sending in guns for repair and Ruger refusing to send them back. Their offer was to replace it with another non-10/22. About the same time, they were on the verge of putting a 10/17 HMR on the market. It got close enough that there were owner's manuals published including the 10/17. I've been called out on that statement but I know better. I have one. The .17 caliber conversions required even more regular maintenance due to the bottleneck cartridge being more susceptible to residue build-up in the chamber. There's also an issue with the smaller bore creating a different "pressure spike" than the .22 caliber. This is where tuning the gun comes into play and the maggits agreed each gun had to be treated individually. Heavier springs. Heavy bolt handles. Now we see guys finding ways to add weight to the bolt itself rather than hanging a heavy piece on one side. I'm glad to see it going on but two things will remain. First, if you have a "dual extractor gun", remove the left side extractor. Second, clean your chamber more often than you think necessary. I won't go past 50 rds without pulling a Boresnake through mine whether it's the WMR or the HMR. Same with my HM2 conversions. Believe it or not, this is the short version.

Toomany22s, take this as gospel truth. I know the guy, he's got the experience behind his words. I've seen and shot some of his rifles, and they are pretty doggoned nice, too. Doug KNOWS his 10/22Ms, too.