Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:56 PM
nitecapt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NY HELP NEEDED for Scorpion or Mamba purchase

Is there anyone here who has bought a Mamba or Scorpion that was subject to the NY SAFE act? I am advised by a friend run Suffolk PD that as long as the compensator is permanently affixed to the barrel. This is done by having a gunsmith drill through the knurled threaded attachment mechanism into the threads of the barrel and then welding a pin into place. I am advised that this will ensure compliance. Now, when I asked Scott Volquartsen to do this for me he said he does NOT do it. That the gun is sent to an FFL dealer in my area and that they must turn it over to a local gunsmith to do the job.
Has anyone had this done? Did it work for compliance? What about the reference on the VQ website..."It all starts with our LLV Competition Upper. Available in a 4.5 or 6 barrel length, it features a stainless steel barrel (with stainless steel breech) housed in an aluminum shroud. This design provides match grade accuracy in a lightweight package." Would this description of a "Shroud" knock it out? Is there a similar "shroud" on the Scorpions LLV as there is on the Mamba LLV?
I am recently retired and my old wife and her old man (me) would like to target shoot. I want to buy two of these. It would be a shame to buy them if I can't take delivery.

Finally, since I am asking questions, what grip would you all recommend for a woman with small hands.

Thank you for any help you can provide
Ray
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Stupid question but why do you want the compensator? You can get an upper without threads. If you really wanted more weight you can get a rail on the bottom of the barrel to attach weight.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd look into a Scorpion without threads. I haven't seen them make the LLV4 (which is what they did with the Mamba, just building off of Ruger frames like anyone else could do) in a non-threaded version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was hoping fro a reply from someone in NY. I am not interested in a treadless barrel. I want the compensator to reduce muzzle jump for competitive shooting. I think if we were talking to a competition shooter we would not be asking why they want a compensator. They are designed with a specific purpose in mind and quite frankly, as mentioned in my post, as long as they are permanently affixed as described, they should be legal. Kindly re-read so you can see what my objective is. Alas, it looks like there is no one from NY who has gone through this. I will be checking with some local gun shops on this as well.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good luck, competition shooter.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:26 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm in New York, I will need all the luck I can get!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW

I guess there are no NY Volquartsen owners here!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:21 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Duke3026
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Non Compliant Pistols

Hi, Ray! Unfortunately compensators need to be pinned. And I can't recommend anyone in Suffolk to do the work. One of the reasons I haven't purchased one myself. The other issue is having a FFL dealer dropping it off to a smith, or smith picking it up from FFL. Another fee for that! You might be better off finding a good smith out of state. Than have it shipped here. You don't want to have to send a non compliant pistol back, more $$$$ wasted. Sucks being a second rate citizen of this sewer of a state.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Duke!

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. What are your thoughts about the Black Mamba which in the description says that the barrel has an aluminum shroud. I thought that might knock it out of the box in this lousy state.
All the best
Ray
Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 PM
RUSTY OLD COLT
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
pinned comp in NY

How do you plan on cleaning the comp after its pinned and is non removable?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:54 AM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Easy cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY OLD COLT View Post
How do you plan on cleaning the comp after its pinned and is non removable?
They make a single vent compensator. Easily cleaned. You can see it on their website
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check with Sarona Gun Works, Dennis Wood, out of Wisconsin and explain your situation and the pinning needed. He specializes in Ruger 22 autos and can do any custom work desired on them. Volquartsen basically being their Ruger lower with their custom barrel on it. Good luck and I hope you get your Scorpions.

Last edited by FredVK; 07-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:16 AM
Duke3026
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecapt View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. What are your thoughts about the Black Mamba which in the description says that the barrel has an aluminum shroud. I thought that might knock it out of the box in this lousy state.
All the best
Ray
The shroud feature under the law was created, so people couldn't use one hand on a pistol forend. I think as long as the comp's pinned you'd be ok. Remember we had jerk-off's that designed these feature bans. You might be better off, looking Tac Solutions. They make barrels for Browning Buckmark's that are accurate. Be a lot easier to pin one of there barrels.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:42 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Frwed and Duke

You have both given me very helpful info. I think I will probably send the description on to the pistol license bureau and see what they say. One big worry for me is that I buy two of these (for my wife and myself) with dot sights and then get told I can't have them. Imagine that? If it were not for the grandkids, I would pack my bags and leave this state tomorrow.

Guys like you help people like me get things done right and your help and support are invaluable.