Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:26 AM
dirtclod75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Light strikes

Just finished 3 day squirrel hunt in Oregon, shot 900 rounds of 17wsm 20 grain Winchester v max ammunition all same lot#. The second day I parked my 17wsm VQ because of 10% light strikes. Bmag, and Franklin Armory never missed a shot. Shot like strikes thru FA17 with no issues. Any thoughts??? Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Volguartsen .17hmr Fusion will start having light strikes occasionally around 175-200 rounds. Still fires though.

I believe that it's caused by a dirty chamber. The round is starting to not fully seat by just a few thousands.
What appears to be happening is the the firing pin hits the back of the rim and pushing the round fully into the chamber leading to a light strike.

After 200 rounds I start to see slight doming on the base of the round which means that the round is clearly not seating's fully into the chamber.

Bottom line is that Semi-Auto .17's should be cleaned at the 1st sign of light strikes, and especially if you see any doming.

The chamber on my Fusion will not except fired case's from other .17's.
That's because of a tighter chamber. That tight chamber helps with accuracy, but makes chambering more difficult once fouled.
See if the fired cases from your other two rifles will chamber into your Volquartsen.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
My Volguartsen .17hmr Fusion will start having light strikes occasionally around 175-200 rounds. Still fires though.

I believe that it's caused by a dirty chamber. The round is starting to not fully seat by just a few thousands.
What appears to be happening is the the firing pin hits the back of the rim and pushing the round fully into the chamber leading to a light strike.

After 200 rounds I start to see slight doming on the base of the round which means that the round is clearly not seating's fully into the chamber.

Bottom line is that Semi-Auto .17's should be cleaned at the 1st sign of light strikes, and especially if you see any doming.

The chamber on my Fusion will not except fired case's from other .17's.
That's because of a tighter chamber. That tight chamber helps with accuracy, but makes chambering more difficult once fouled.
See if the fired cases from your other two rifles will chamber into your Volquartsen.

Smooth
Good Info!

Getting ready to leave on first PD shoot of the season with my new 17 WSM Volquartsen. I will have to keep an eye on it.

dirtclod75,
l hope just a good cleaning solves your problem. I have a 270 cal. brush to clean the chamber. I use a 22 cal. brush to clean the chamber on my 17 hmr., it seems to help after several rounds.

Best of Luck

Wonderdog1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post

Smooth
My Rem 17HMR semi will start double tapping when it needs cleaning.
note: the 2X tap is so quick its hard to hear when it happens.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM
archerhmr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I pull a snake a couple of times every 50 rounds. Do not seem to have issues with my VQ.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firing pin may or may not be driving cartridge on into chamber. Doesn’t matter. If the distance firing pin is allowed to travel is reduced it will be slower hence chance of light strike. Firing pin needs momentum (caused by distance). Just like a crossbow. It isn’t shooting its fastest until bottom of release from bolt. Bolt speed is building as it it going down path until it leaves string.

Last edited by squirrel1; 05-22-2019 at 11:50 AM.