Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lets laugh

Being it is so quiet here, maybe we can think out loud.

When I was a kid, in the 70s there was a pistol called the "Marksman". We all had decent quality air pistols. I kind of remember a Benjamin, that although big, was powerful. It was a pump.
We loved pistols though.
Anyway, this Marksman, was a .177 caliber. I sort of remember pulling a "slide type" mechanism to charge it.

It would NOT penetrate a paper lunch bag!! It barely dented a can. I remember being so frustrated with it.
We didn't ask for much back then, and if it would go thru a can, we would have loved it, but no matter what ammo, lube, and determination, it was weak as can be!!

Thinking of it now, I can't help but smile.

We ( my buds and I ) all kind of shared our guns. One of us had a rifle called a Sheridan. It was the best of the best that we could muster then. It was powerful and accurate. The only issue was it was a .20 caliber, and ammo was rare, and expensive ( to 11 year olds). I remember it being sort of a dull point shape.We were careful with each shot. Sometimes we would go out with only 5 pellets each.

Even if we could scrape up enough money to buy a container of pellets, sometimes the gun store wouldn't sell them to us. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There was only one gun store in walking distance, and some days, we couldn't even go in without an adult. This was in NJ, where air guns are treated as full on firearms. Yes, even in 1973, NJ had strict rules on guns. Sometimes, my friends big brother would go and get them for us.

I wish I could have that exact Sheridan rifle today to see if it is as great as I remembered it. I think it is made under a different name now.

Anyway, I really don't have a point, except being young was fun!!

If you have any childhood stories, bring them!! We can use a laugh!!

Ty

Rich
Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Oh, the 'Marksman'!
I think it was the first 'air pistol' I was ever exposed to; circa 1960ish?. My 10yr. older uncle had one, iirc, it came in a box with targets, BBs, some darts, and something else? I can sorta remember shooting it in the basement of the old farmhouse and the darts were the most accurate and would really zing.
The BBs were dismal.....
Once he went into the Army I 'inherited' it as was often the case back then. It got played with, mostly sans projectiles, as an 'upgrade' from the typical cap-guns, mostly sans caps. It was sorta Colt's 1911 looking too, points for that amongst the peers.
Fast forward maybe 20yrs., saw one in a second hand store, just the pistol in nice shape, cheap and.....it shot BBs dismal too. So, I tore it apart (not recomended), stretched out the mainspring, and replaced the 1 1/2" 'barrel' (in a tip up front like a little Beretta) with a 'tighter tube' just over BB size. It was still dismal....
A couple years ago a friend made a 'backstop/target' from an old kitchen range hood (works Great) and pulled out a Marksman, we played with it at something like 8' (started farther away, what a joke, so we kept moving closer until we could hit the targets). Figured he needed two pistols to play with it with a friend so he got 'gifted' my 'Marksman'.
On the Colt's 1911 theme, anybody remember the plastic (full size I think, too big for a kid anyway) Marx 1911, it came in a set with maybe an AR back in the Vietnam era. I always took care of my toy gun collection but after I moved out after graduation in 1971 my younger brother and his friends trashed my stuff . I wouldnt mind finding another one of those Marx.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had one of those Marksman BB pistols,,,

I had one of those Marksman BB pistols,,,
It was definitely a punk for power.

But,,, It wasn't the punkest BB gun out there,,,
There was also the daisy Spittin' Image,,,
Looked like a Colt SAA.

If you could manage to hit anything with it,,,
The gun was so punk it would barely knock over a paper Dixie cup.

The Spittin' Image rifle was a Winchester look alike,,,
It was actually a fine shooting rifle,,,
Comparable to the Red Rider.

I wanted one of those so badly when I was a kid,,,
BB's were cheap and the fun was endless.

But Mom and Dad being clueless didn't listen to what I wanted,,,
Pop bought me what he would rather have had.

I know that sounds whiny and ungrateful,,,
but hey, I was a typical self-centered eight year old kid.

I shouldn't complain but I will (and did),,,
They bought me a pump-up Crossman .22 caliber pellet gun.

Infinitely superior as an actual small game rifle,,,
Miserable as a recreational shooter.

It took too long to pump up and those pellets were danged expensive.

Those .22 pellets were right at one cent apiece,,,
My fifty cent a week allowance didn't go far.

At the time, a dime would buy you a cellophane pack of 100 BB's,,,
A quarter would buy a cardboard tube of 500 BB's.

I finally saved up the six or seven dollars to buy the cheapest Daisy BB gun,,,
Now I could play with my friends shooting each other's green army men.

The Crossman hung on the wall and gathered dust.

Several years ago I had a chance to relive a piece of my youth,,,
At the ripe old age of 45 I finally scored a Daisy Spittin' Image set.

A few years later I scored another pair of them,,,
They are my backyard grasshopper killers.

Aarond

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 11:43 AM
HectorFuego
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had both of those. Marksman was pretty anemic.

Sheridan I still have although it suffers from age and abuse now. It was definitely powerful and accurate, when we were both in our prime. Good trigger, too.

Hector
Old 05-15-2019, 11:46 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got my first Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for my 5th birthday in 1946. I had to hold the stock between my feet to cock the lever action. I soon became a dearth to pigeons and sparrows on the farm. I wore out a BB gun a year and got a new one for almost every birthday. I had one of the Daisy Slide Pump BB guns. They had more power but you had to remove the barrel from the gun to load about 20 BBs in a spring magazine. Before long, I would shoot the gun and the barrel and the whole shebang would fly out the end of the gun.

I got a Crosman pump up .22 cal. pistol for my 14th birthday. It was pretty good and fairly accurate. I would go out in the barn at night with a flashlight and shoot sparrows and an occasional pigeon out of the rafters. We had a lot of fat cats. Before long it lost power. I could pump all I wanted and it would hardly shoot 50 feet. I went back to my .22 for general use.

But those were good old days. Most of the neighbor kids had BB guns and we would have fake wars, etc. We were careful not to hit anyone. We were aware of the stories of kids who lost eyes etc. from being shot with a BB gun.

I still have a Daisy BB gun. It was supposed to be the commemorative Identical model just like the first one. It isn't. The BB port is not the same. But it shoots pretty good and fun to shoot.

VH
Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the Daisy with the Red Ryder action, but a chocolate colored plastic stock that was a little larger. It shot as well as a friend's Ryder. I don't remember if it had a name, if any. I didn't have the heart to shoot any birds or animals, but lots of other things became targets.

A classmate and his older brother would play 'War' with theirs, and the older brother did eventually get shot in the eye. Luckily it hit the white, and did no permanent harm. They went back to shooting each other, but wearing safety goggles.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Piranha451
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first firearm, bought in the mid 70s, was a Crosman Mk II .22 cal CO2 powered single shot pellet pistol (which I still have). I even bought the case made for it.

I then bought a Crosman 622 Pell-Clip Repeater. This is a pump action CO2 powered rifle that has a 6 shot clip. It is lots of fun to shoot, especially with 6 shots being available in quick succession!

My next one was a Sheridan Blue Streak (which I still have). I really enjoy shooting that one and use it for pest control around my home.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:02 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Oh yeah, the BB Wars!
Seems to me my 3years older cousin instigated it.........now, in reflection, Im wondering why he wanted to shoot me?
We had a rule that must have worked Ok because all of us 'involved' never got a face shot, 'No shooting above the waist'. Even when they went some higher it was still body shots. Good thing we didnt rule it 'No shots above the heart'.
Some of those below the waist shots were, ummm, tingly.....

Last edited by gcrank1; 05-15-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a Sheridan Blue Streak nearly 60 years ago and killed rabbits and squirrels with it. My best shot was a rabbit in a neighbor's garden. I aimed and fired; the rabbit jumped straight up and fell and lay still. One pacing the distance to the bunny, I came up with right about 40 yards; one shot, 40 yards, dead rabbit. I still have that Sheridan but it will no longer hold a pump. One day I'll need to get it fixed.

Years ago my mother bought me an inexpensive .177 pump rifle. I was a middle age adult but that didn't matter. We, once again, had a major "Squirrels in the Attic" problem. It did the job quite well.

Back in the 1950s I managed anther inexpensive pistol, a BB pistol. It would only shoot a BB maybe 40 yards max. One day I "eyed" a sparrow among the weeds. Being familiar with the pistols trajectory problem, I adjusted accordingly and did a generous holdover. Shockingly, at the shot - the BBs were quite easy to see in the air - the bird simply dropped. Strolling over to claim my prize I saw no wound on the little guy. But my examination revealed a tiny little "knot" on top of the bird's head; The BB had dropped and hit the top of the bird's head and rendered it unconcious. We were at a relative's house at the time so when we went back home I had the birdy in a shoebox so as to take it back home with me. Birdy regained conciousness not long after getting konked so when I got home I turned him loose; he'd earned it.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 AM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I also have a Sheridan Blue Streak in .20 caliber. Very accurate, i.e. one hole groups at 15 yds. Didn't get it til I was an adult tho. It's in like new condition. As a kid I had the Daisy. Not so accurate. Used to try shooting pigeons in the barn with it, but could do better with a homemade slingshot and rocks.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a red ryder bb gun about 57 or 58 and terrorized the sparrows out on Kearny Mesa in San Diego. Then a year or so later my mom got me a Crossman 140 pump pellet rifle, .22 cal. Terrorized the jacks and anything else out there. Now I have two Daisly lever BB guns and two Sheridans in 20 cal. along with a really cheap single side pump Chinese pellet rifle and a modern pellet rifle with scope. I think there are t wo junk pellet rifles in a box in the overhead in the garage. Also have an all metal mp5 looking gas powered BB gun that is automatic. I'm a sucker for BB and pellet guns if I can get them cheap.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM
flyingsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Selling 2 Marksman pistols at age 10 gave me a good lesson. Sold the pair for $4 but only got $2 with a promise. Never happened. Good friends with the fella 55 years later and I still hold it over his head. Cheap lesson that has not repeated itself.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:27 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
I got my first Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for my 5th birthday in 1946. I had to hold the stock between my feet to cock the lever action. I soon became a dearth to pigeons and sparrows on the farm. I wore out a BB gun a year and got a new one for almost every birthday. I had one of the Daisy Slide Pump BB guns. They had more power but you had to remove the barrel from the gun to load about 20 BBs in a spring magazine. Before long, I would shoot the gun and the barrel and the whole shebang would fly out the end of the gun.

I got a Crosman pump up .22 cal. pistol for my 14th birthday. It was pretty good and fairly accurate. I would go out in the barn at night with a flashlight and shoot sparrows and an occasional pigeon out of the rafters. We had a lot of fat cats. Before long it lost power. I could pump all I wanted and it would hardly shoot 50 feet. I went back to my .22 for general use.

But those were good old days. Most of the neighbor kids had BB guns and we would have fake wars, etc. We were careful not to hit anyone. We were aware of the stories of kids who lost eyes etc. from being shot with a BB gun.

I still have a Daisy BB gun. It was supposed to be the commemorative Identical model just like the first one. It isn't. The BB port is not the same. But it shoots pretty good and fun to shoot.

VH
Lots of fun, those pump up .22 cal. pell guns. I used to sit in the hog house and wait for the rats to come down the side bracing on the walls. Then I'd turn on the flashlight and they'd be there . . . frozen for a second or two. Traded it in for a Ruger SS and shot birdshot at the same rats. The hogs didn't like the pistol's bark though. Good times.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 AM
pepper51

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
one of my childhood stories

60 years ago I had a Daisy Red Rider. One winter I was shooting ice sickles off the chicken coop roof edge. One BB came straight back and hit me right between the eyes. No damage, just stung. Great line: " YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT KID."
Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow

It seems we all have a Marksman type story!!

I also had this "mail order", you remember the back of magazines or comic books had these crazy, low cost, low tech ads, saying send 3.95 or so, and 6 weeks later, whatever would appear?

Well, somehow, I got this hard plastic pellet pistol. The back had a "screw" with a pin attached, that you unscrewed, loaded a .177 pellet, and used the pin to seat it, and screwed the pin/screw back in. THEN, you pressed on the barrel pushing it rearward to make the barrel lock back, THEN Viola!! Time to shoot!!
This unusual pistol actually was more powerful than the Marksman, as it would go thru paper, and dent a beer or pop can, but and a big but, if you could hit it. The barrel moved forward with considerable force, and the abrupt stop made the pellet fly out.
Somehow, I lost the pin/screw? So the gun was useless ( to a 10 year old, without any resources). My mom, who was always afraid that I would "shoot my eye out" may have taken it? If so, and you can hear me up there mom, I forgive you.
In NJ, gun laws were strict, even then. So obtaining anything was hard.
Some friends were successful using mail order. Back then, they would ship it anywhere, as long as you paid for it!! Gosh, the world was so much simpler without computers and internet and such!!

BTW, we all had an unspoken rule, which was we didn't shoot each other. Even with the low power guns, EXCEPT, I remember my friend shooting a girl that he liked in the leg one day. It must of stung, as she started running around. She was wearing a dress, so it hit bare leg. That was a very interesting way to demonstrate affection!!!! Gosh, nothing better than being young, carefree and stupid!!!!

Keep them coming. I smile from ear to ear reading and writing this stuff!!

Ty

Rich