New BATF Regs On Inline Muzzleloaders - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:24 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
New BATF Regs On Inline Muzzleloaders

FYI

BATF has classified inline muzzleloaders that utilize a metallic cartridge primer as being a "firearm" under GCA-68, to which all encumbent transfer laws apply.

https://www.atf.gov/file/83981/download

Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post

FYI

BATF has classified inline muzzleloaders that utilize a metallic cartridge primer as being a "firearm" under GCA-68, to which all encumbent transfer laws apply.

Well, that'll be an eye-opener around here, that's for sure.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
The links in that circular are coming up 404/NF, so maybe someone has already realized what a ruckus the ATF will be creating for themselves & taken it down pending further review?
It appears that the bulletin was originally an html page on the ATF websight, but it was changed to a pdf that the link in the first post will download.

I find it interesting that they have chosen to single out in-line MLs using primers, rather than saying any ML using primers.

So if I modify my in-line to use primers, it would become a "ghost" firearm (it has no serial#). But if I modified my Hawken to use primers, it would still be an "antique firearm replica" and not subject to this firearm regulation? More BS.

Colorado banned use of in-line MLs for hunting the first year or two they were out. After reviewing the fact that they used the same powder, bullet, percussion cap, and had they same loading and firing procedure as conventional MLs - they reversed that stupid decision and allowed their use for hunting.

I agree with ATF that MLs shouldn't use modern firearm ammo component's, but what difference does it make if the cap is hit with a hammer or a striker? Just Stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's all about control, that's all. Picking away.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:48 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Am I confused? In the preface to the text it looks like this notice was published in 1997. "On November 6, 1997, the Director signed Industry Circular No. 98-2."

I own a lot of black powder stuff but nothing in line so I have no knowledge of them or any federal restrictions on them.

Frank
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only muzzle loader that I'm aware of that uses a "metallic cartridge primer" for an ignition system is the Remington Ultimate Muzzle Loader. The other inline systems use a shot shell primer, not a metallic cartridge primer. And since the action on the Remington can easily be re-barrelled to a centerfire caliber it is classified as a "firearm" anyway.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post

FYI

That bulletin is over 20 years old.