Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette vs D3 Precision Silhouette Rings - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:32 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
Is this the Dr. Gunner from Sycamore? Or mistake?

Yep, the very same
Old 05-31-2019, 05:45 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Just to mention again, DrGunner's where to buy the D3 on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings....c100284.m3505

He will be adding more sizes as his hobby grows.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:17 PM
teetertotter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My D3 rings, 1.1 inch height, clear anodized, are being mailed tomorrow. It was a special order request being clear anodized.

He should be adding more ring heights this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 07:23 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
My D3 rings, 1.1 inch height, clear anodized, are being mailed tomorrow. It was a special order request being clear anodized.

He should be adding more ring heights this week.
I now have 3 sets of the D3 rings to mounts my two Sightron SIIBS6-24x42SIL scope’s, and my Leupold FX3 30X fixed. I bought a pair of Morr Accuracy Silhouette Rings in the 1.5” variety for my Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40 EFR.

I decided to buy more of the D3s when setting up multiple scopes for 3 reasons:

1) Color: The D3s were available in black anodized, whereas Morr Accuracy only offers them in raw aluminum.

2) Cost: D3s were $50 plus $8 shipping. The Morr’s were $85 shipped, plus the expense of having them anodized, which added the hassle and cost of another $50 between the anodizing and shipping both ways.... $50 for D3 being mountable out of the box, vs $135 for Morr, which included the hassle, time, expense & wait for a matching finish.

3) Fit: now that I have owned both brands for a couple of months, I can say that I LIKE the Morr Accuracy rings but I actually dislike the mounting system on them because of the design of their rail clamping system. It is a single screw with the clamping section one piece with a cut between the uprights that required repeated separation with a slotted screwdriver to allow them to fit over and slide smoothly on the scope rail. Trying to install them without expanding the rail clamp portions carries the very real risk of scratching the rail or damaging the bluing on my pristine Anschutz 1712. This would be no big deal at all if they simply needed to be expanded to fit the first time on initial install, but I have found that to NOT be the case. I have had to re-expand them every time I go to reinstall them or switch scopes/rifles.
The D3’s design is far superior in this regard, with a two screw - two piece clamping system that is much easier to remove and install without risk to the rail.

For aesthetic purposes, IMO- the Morr Accuracy have a much more elegant design and modern/refined look while the D3s are more blocky and utilitarian. I don’t regret the purchase of the Morr Accuracy rings, but I would not go through the expense and hassle of buying another pair unless I could order black directly from their website, and I would gladly have paid $40 more to be able to order them directly in black.

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 07-21-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:28 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Anschutz 5098 trigger shoe

FYI- to anyone who might own an Anschutz 1712 or similar 54 action with the 5098 two-stage trigger that has that ugly pot metal trigger shoe, the maker of the D3 rings will be designing and selling a blued steel trigger shoe for the 5098. He said that he plans on making a curved shoe that is wider than the OEM pot metal POS that comes on the 5098 triggers.

DrGunner
Old 08-05-2019, 12:33 PM
teetertotter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
@drgunner
Nice write up on your D3's. We were on vacation and got home last Tuesday and my 1.1 inch, clear anodized, had been delivered. The next day, I had them mounted and are sure nice. They really hug my 3/8" receiver with a superb fit.

I had lens implants in mid June on the one eye and the other was July 5. This past Wednesday, I had my final eye exam, and will have new spectacle lenses later this week. Yes, I still have to wear glasses....long story short.

I plan to go to the range to site-in and still shoot with the group this Thursday evening. Our Silhouette range is in a forest type setting with tall pines lined all round it. Low light conditions, was a huge issue with me. Forget seeing the Ram's, set far back in. With the fixed cataracts and glaucoma, I have to wear sunglasses. lol

I did a couple private msgs to Pat Nolan, just to see if he is still alive down in TX. It took a while for reply's, and still checks the board time to time. lol You still at Sycamore on Monday Eve's? Sorry folks for not private msging. I might come down.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:20 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
@drgunner
Nice write up on your D3's. We were on vacation and got home last Tuesday and my 1.1 inch, clear anodized, had been delivered. The next day, I had them mounted and are sure nice. They really hug my 3/8" receiver with a superb fit.

I had lens implants in mid June on the one eye and the other was July 5. This past Wednesday, I had my final eye exam, and will have new spectacle lenses later this week. Yes, I still have to wear glasses....long story short.

I plan to go to the range to site-in and still shoot with the group this Thursday evening. Our Silhouette range is in a forest type setting with tall pines lined all round it. Low light conditions, was a huge issue with me. Forget seeing the Ram's, set far back in. With the fixed cataracts and glaucoma, I have to wear sunglasses. lol

I did a couple private msgs to Pat Nolan, just to see if he is still alive down in TX. It took a while for reply's, and still checks the board time to time. lol You still at Sycamore on Monday Eve's? Sorry folks for not private msging. I might come down.
Alas, I have not been to Sycamore this year. I believe they hold 1 match/month on Saturdays- non sanctioned as their Ram line is 100 YARDS.

DrGunner
Old 08-06-2019, 05:34 PM
teetertotter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Alas, I have not been to Sycamore this year. I believe they hold 1 match/month on Saturdays- non sanctioned as their Ram line is 100 YARDS.

DrGunner
Okay, Thank you.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Nosnil22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I met Pete Deal at the silhouette nationals this week.
Great guy with a great product!
I bought a set of D3 1.5-inch rings to put on my 54MS.
If I learned anything this week, it's the fact that my rifle could be set up much better than it is now. Everyone there was very helpful, especially at the seminar yesterday.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-08-2019, 05:13 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosnil22 View Post
I bought a set of D3 1.5-inch rings to put on my 54MS.
If I learned anything this week, it's the fact that my rifle could be set up much better than it is now. Everyone there was very helpful, especially at the seminar yesterday.

Cheers,
Dave
Taller rings made a huge difference for me. My only trouble now is NOT having enough time to get out and practice!

DrGunner
Old 08-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Nosnil22

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Taller rings made a huge difference for me. My only trouble now is NOT having enough time to get out and practice!

DrGunner
Maybe we'll finally get to meet at the nationals some year?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosnil22 View Post
Yup. I was sitting next to Pete for most of the Nationals and got to chatting with him quite a bit. Nice guy!

I'm using his 1.5" rings on my silhouette rifle and I had no question about my scope mounting system at all. If you go read the report on my scores you can see they contributed to what was for me a very successful first Nationals.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...php?p=11568665
Old 08-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Nosnil22

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
Yup. I was sitting next to Pete for most of the Nationals and got to chatting with him quite a bit. Nice guy!

I'm using his 1.5" rings on my silhouette rifle and I had no question about my scope mounting system at all. If you go read the report on my scores you can see they contributed to what was for me a very successful first Nationals.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...php?p=11568665
Congratulations on a fantastic showing, including your 10 in a row animals!
That's some fine shooting right there!
I had my first ever 5 in a row on Rams this week and I was thrilled!

Best,
Dave