Reloading Press - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 PM
topowell
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

North Missouri (hot in summer, cold in winter)
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Here's another vote for the Co Ax. I got mine back when they were called Bonanza Co Ax many years ago and it's still going great.

I can quickly load a single round if needed for a test. I just pop in one die, then slip it out and pop the next one. And changing calibers is just as easy.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 PM
MoMan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 For the LEE Turret presses. I have 1 that I have loaded on for over 10 years, I couldn't even hazard a guess as to the number of rounds loaded on it. I do know my Son loaded all of my prepped brass 1 weekend while I was down to the hunting camp, and he came into town. I came home to over 2,500 40s&w, over 2,000 9mm, and I don't remember how many 38sp, or 357mag. I think he also loaded up a 1,000 or so 45acp for me as well. He did his Ol' man a solid, that's for sure.

Needless to say, there are probably better, but I have no desire to replace my LEE equipment.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I’ve got to say that’s one organized setup! Far too organized for me".

I pattern my set up's after a Formula One paddock.

Not like an Indy Car paddock where the mechanics have a "McDonalds Double Cheese Burger Meal" sitting on the rear wing, and a smoldering Marlboro stuck in the exhaust pipe.

Each to their own.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-02-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 10:29 PM
bubba68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another plus for the Lee Classic turret press. I have the 4 hole model and have plates and the 4 die sets plus powder feeder for each caliber I load. With each plate set up only takes a minute to change calibers. Only rifle round I load is 223 and it works well for that.

Have loaded several thousand 9mm, 380, 45acp and 40 with it and have not had any problems with it.

Not the highest price equipment on the market but it has worked well for me.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:04 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Wow, lots of great responses here. The Redding and Forster have been my favorites, both extremely well made and the Redding adding the multi die capability. I have seen several Lee loaders with additional plates and dies, powder flows etc for pretty cheap at gun shows but I have never been around them so it's good to hear people like them. I'm hesitant on a Dillon as they use their own proprietary dies don't they? I have so many dies and other equipment that I hate to shift gears now.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I wanted a turret press would probably spring for the Redding. But my primary "heavy job" press is a Herters Super-O frame Dad bought around 1963. Depending on the Herters model, you can get a very nicely made shell-holder adapter that accepts RCBS/Redding/Lyman type.

Unless a press has an alignment issue, or the bearings are shot, there's no reason to upgrade just because of age. Use a Rockchucker ram priming unit. Seat to near flush, then finish with a Sinclair by feel. And have a couple Dillons presses for bulk/pistol loading. Like them all. Some tools wear out, but presses need not be among them.

I took a 1934 Win 54 w/2.75x Hensoldt post for a spin yesterday. Shot some 150 gr '06 loads, w/mixed headstamps and IMR-4320, that Dad made up 50 years ago. 2" at 100 yds.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
Wow, lots of great responses here. The Redding and Forster have been my favorites, both extremely well made and the Redding adding the multi die capability. I have seen several Lee loaders with additional plates and dies, powder flows etc for pretty cheap at gun shows but I have never been around them so it's good to hear people like them. I'm hesitant on a Dillon as they use their own proprietary dies don't they? I have so many dies and other equipment that I hate to shift gears now.
The Dillon Square Deal uses special dies, the other Dillons can use standard dies. In fact, I like RCBS dies better than Dillon, Dillons are hard to adjust due to the lock rings and there is no bullet seating adjustment other than loosening the lock ring and screwing the die up or down. I just bought a Redding seating die to replace the Dillon .45 seating die. I use RCBS dies for 9 MM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:13 AM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
before you do anything look at what you are going to reload as in rifles/pistols and so forth.

then look at what additional dies you may want to put on that turret. Such as taper crimp or?

also after all that look at the number of turrets? you will need to buy to put all of those dies in.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Don't get me wrong, my old Herters are far from wore out and do a good job. I just have been thinking about going to something that I can load the dies and have quick indexing for mainly 4 different calibers and 2 with neck size dies. The reason for the Forster is just because I have heard it is a very easy stroke and outstanding quality. I already have a progressive for my 45 acp and don't load any other pistol cartridges.

Last edited by grg; 05-04-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:38 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw, with the Lee 4 hole turret plate for std dies you can mount up 2 pairs of rifle calibers.
I have one plate (again, mine is earlier 3 hole) a universal decapping die, a universal flaring die and whatever other 'special function die' I want, the 4 hole plate would be even better. I suggest considering the 'number of holes' you need rather than plates for each caliber, then buy one or two plates extra.
I can waste more money in any number of activities and pastimes anyway so I dont consider tools a waste at all. My neighbor has a $30,000 bass boat that has been sitting in his back yard since after the first two years he had it.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:01 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, my old Herters are far from wore out and do a good job. I just have been thinking about going to something that I can load the dies and have quick indexing for mainly 4 different calibers and 2 with neck size dies. The reason for the Forster is just because I have heard it is a very easy stroke and outstanding quality. I already have a progressive for my 45 acp and don't load any other pistol cartridges.
this was not disclosed in your op and is why i stated what i stated.

what you want to do is nothing new, sorry to tell you, been there done that.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
You guys that use the Lee really like them. When I look at them they seem a little light but I have to go back to that I'm use to Herters presses. I have seen used ones withe mjltiple plates and dies, powder flow and more for pretty cheap at some shows.

I'm at the point in my reloading and shooting where most of it is for hunting and when shooting off the bench it is with my hunting loads for the most part. Because of this I don't really need to put out extreme quantities but It would just be nice to leave the dies in the plate and index the head when I do work up different loads on a new rifle. I guess I am getting lazy. That Redding keeps calling me but I would love to try a Forster once.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
You guys that use the Lee really like them. When I look at them they seem a little light but I have to go back to that I'm use to Herters presses. I have seen used ones withe mjltiple plates and dies, powder flow and more for pretty cheap at some shows.

I'm at the point in my reloading and shooting where most of it is for hunting and when shooting off the bench it is with my hunting loads for the most part. Because of this I don't really need to put out extreme quantities but It would just be nice to leave the dies in the plate and index the head when I do work up different loads on a new rifle. I guess I am getting lazy. That Redding keeps calling me but I would love to try a Forster once.
for what its worth, i started with the Lee Turret - 3 hole - press and that worked for years and is still working.

Until i started doing ALOT of reading for

9mm
357 mag
44 Mag
45 ACP
45 LC

223 Rem
30-30
30-06
7.62 x 39
30 M1

and some others..

So once that happened, i started to look into progressive or as progressive as i want. I batch reload, meaning that i do all of the steps until i drop the powerders. So i have all the cases ready and primed. All i need to do is to put them in reloading trays, drop the powered, place/seat/crimp the bullet and im done. IIRC i can crank out about 1K of any round in about 1 hr doing it this way. Not progressively, but using my old turret press.

But the reason i say what i said is that i decide to try some of there Lee TC/Factory crimp dies in pistol and rifle. Guess what, the 3 hole turrets only hold 3 dies and goess how many dies are in pistols? On the 3 hole turrets there isnt anymore room for 1 more die and is why i said what i said. At the time there was no 4 hole turret so i bought the 3 hole press.

Now i have 3 Lee Pro-1000 that i use to batch prep may cases. They are setup in various calibers and such so i dont have to do many change overs. 1 Pro 1000 i got used for 20 bucks after the guy had butchered it trying to fix and make it work. I noticed what he did to screw it up and it was a cheap fix for me and i had some of the parts anyway.

But what it comes down to, if you want to try the Redding, then buy it. If you want to try the Forster, then buy it. Theres no reason you cant sell/trade it later on. You are the one that is limiting yourself. No one else. you may not make alot of money off selling them if you do but i say you had your fun, so you can let someone else have theirs too at maybe a few bucks lost.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went through the same thing about 20 yrs ago. Had a Rock Chucker for 10 yrs but wanted to speed it up and keep dies on the press without going progressive. I bought a used Lyman Spar T turret and still have it. I keep 6 dies on the press and do all stages on the press...the only thing I change out is the powder measure. An empty shell goes in and a completed round comes out at 150 rounds with a relaxed pace...more if I want to step it up. The only change I made to the press was adding an arm with knob to make turning turret easier...copied from the later Lyman turrets.
This press can still be found for $100 one auction site.

A few yrs ago I looked at the "new" Lee turret, it flexed a lot and was loose compared to the RC or Lyman. If I was buying today it would be the T7 without a doubt.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Not all Lee designs are created equal, but they are all affordable. The Classic Cast is a fine machine. The Redding is a great machine. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra moo-lah for what you want to do.

I'm rather partial to the green paint myself.