Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:49 PM
Doc25

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting position

Hi all,
First post here. Trying to figure out steady enough shooting position. I have no access to coaches.

I'm shooting the scaled targets for 25 yards and only scoring about 9 out of 40.

Rifle is ok, scope ok. I know it's me. Trying to improve offhand shooting looked at some of the videos and can't get elbow on my hip. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:09 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Most men can't get the elbow on their hip. Try putting the back of your upper arm on your rib cage.

Do a lot of "dry holding". No ammo, no target. Just get into position and see where the gun points, then relax and let it settle. Notice the small area of movement. Repeat, and pay attention to the "feel" of your body.

Once you have the "feel", adjust your hold onto an object (target) by moving only your feet. SMALL movements cam make large changes in POA. Feet slightly apart should raise the POA, together should lower POA. Rear foot slightly to the right should move POA left, and vice versa. Sometimes I move my toes on the front foot VERY Slightly (often just inside my boot), for fine horizontal adjustments.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Hip toward target and shoulders away from target is the trick. If you can't get to the hip use the rib cage but be aware of the effect breathing is going to have.

Don't "muscle" the rifle onto the target. Shift your position around until the rifle naturally points at the target. Close eyes, relax, open eyes and see where you are pointing. Adjust as necessary until opening your eyes has you on target.

You won't have the advantage of the sling but here's a good illustration:

https://youtu.be/wuCPMp4XRCE?t=130
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 06:26 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Find a nearly featureless wall or something to aim at. [Insert appropriate safety warnings here.] Aim at it and just try to keep the gun steady. Don't try to aim at something but if you can see something that's where the gun wants to point, use that as a reference. Keep it up until you get bored. Figure out what position you are returning to to hold the gun steady and on the same point of aim.

When you shoot for real, do it from that position and shift your aim by shifting your whole body so it stays in that position.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:40 PM
Doc25

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to look at that video again just before shooting and try that position (or as reasonably close as I can). I've done some "holding" as well but think I need to spend more time at it.
I'm not new to shooting, used to shoot prone with sling and was a decent shot.
Offhand is quite another thing though. Will steadiness increase with time? Or only through position change?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lots of practice required for offhand shooting . Steadiness comes along with that. As others said the key is to set up your position so the skeleton supports the weight, not muscles. Balance is important! You have to lean back and away from the rifle a little bit to balance yourself. Twisting your back doesn't seem relaxing but actually it is...because of the weight of the rifle
Old 05-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Doc25

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've kept at it so far. Put my scope on a riser and what a difference in comfort! Much more of the stock is on my shoulder. Much steadier. Just shot a 13/40 today and the other night a 15/40 on the paper 25 yard targets.
Position is starting to feel more natural and groups are getting smaller even if scores aren't skyrocketing. Caught myself "pushing" a couple of shots today.
Picked up some drywall anchors for dry fire practice.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:16 AM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc25 View Post
I've kept at it so far. Put my scope on a riser and what a difference in comfort! Much more of the stock is on my shoulder. Much steadier. Just shot a 13/40 today and the other night a 15/40 on the paper 25 yard targets.
Position is starting to feel more natural and groups are getting smaller even if scores aren't skyrocketing. Caught myself "pushing" a couple of shots today.
Here is one example of an enthusiastís desire to share information. Iím sure youíll find something useful here:

http://www.riflesilhouette.com/Silho...g-Posture.html
Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc25 View Post

Sounds good. Keep at it. Don't be discouraged by low scores on paper at 25 yards. Work on the groups more than the score because you're going to have to spend a lot of time re-zeroing for the real thing anyway. In short-range practice, it doesn't matter whether you went between the legs of a pig or ram, it matters whether you can put a small enough group in the right place when you get to a match. Work on the group at 25 and you can do that with 1" or 2" stickers.. Work on getting the group in the right place when you can shoot longer distances.