Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:58 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cleaning rods for match rifles

As some of you may have found out, certain rifles have tighter bores. I prefer to clean my target rifles with either coated or carbon fiber rods. Some brand cleaning rods won't work in CZ, Anschutz or others. I bought a Dewey coated rod in 22 caliber and it can barely be pushed through the bore. I didn't buy it direct from Dewey, but I went on their website and found that they recommend using a 20 caliber rod because of the tight bore problem. That really made me mad because I bought this rod under the assumption it would work with any 22 rifle. As a matter of fact, it's too tight in my ARs as well. To me, that's false or misleading advertising. I now am using Tipton carbon fiber rods. I measured both and find that my Dewey rod measures 0.213 inch diameter while my Tipton is 0.205 inch. I think Dewy needs to get their act together. They make a nice quality product but the manufacturing dimensions need to be revised.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:27 PM
KyleAllen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a link to the Dewey website for the coated cleaning rod you mention:

https://deweyrods.com/product-catego.../nylon-coated/

Interesting notes on using these rods with CZ and certain cleaners degrading the coating.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:34 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a similar situation in that the rod that I need cannot exceed a diameter of .187 with the bore guide I have .Someone told me to look into Ivy cleaning rods they look very nice .The problem is seems very hard to purchase .I have called them and The voicemail say you need to email them .I have emailed them with no response ,but I'm still intrested in getting one of their cleaning rods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAllen View Post
Here is a link to the Dewey website for the coated cleaning rod you mention:

https://deweyrods.com/product-catego.../nylon-coated/

Interesting notes on using these rods with CZ and certain cleaners degrading the coating.
It just so happens that the 20 caliber rod is the most expensive one on their list-$45. Why is that, I wonder?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:40 PM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps2486 View Post
As some of you may have found out, certain rifles have tighter bores. I prefer to clean my target rifles with either coated or carbon fiber rods. Some brand cleaning rods won't work in CZ, Anschutz or others. I bought a Dewey coated rod in 22 caliber and it can barely be pushed through the bore. I didn't buy it direct from Dewey, but I went on their website and found that they recommend using a 20 caliber rod because of the tight bore problem. That really made me mad because I bought this rod under the assumption it would work with any 22 rifle. As a matter of fact, it's too tight in my ARs as well. To me, that's false or misleading advertising. I now am using Tipton carbon fiber rods. I measured both and find that my Dewey rod measures 0.213 inch diameter while my Tipton is 0.205 inch. I think Dewy needs to get their act together. They make a nice quality product but the manufacturing dimensions need to be revised.
You bought the Dewey rod from a 3rd party and had an issue. Did you contact Dewey and inquire as to what diameter they manufacture their rods to? Manufacturing issues do occur with every product, and it may simply be a case that this rod had excessive coating.

I have used Dewey .22 rods in the past in both my Anschutz and Walther match rifles w/ no issues.

Per your own statement, Dewey recommending the .20 for tight barrels. You made, admittedly, an assumption. Why trash the manufacturer? "False or misleading advertising"....that's quite a statement along with their need to redo manufacturing dimensions.....

Regards,
ken
Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
It just so happens that the 20 caliber rod is the most expensive one on their list-$45. Why is that, I wonder?
Most likely that the steel core stock diameter is too large and needs to be ground down to use in production of the .20 rod. The extra step takes additional funds to manufacture.

Regards,
ken
Old 04-23-2019, 12:07 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1813benny View Post
You bought the Dewey rod from a 3rd party and had an issue. Did you contact Dewey and inquire as to what diameter they manufacture their rods to? Manufacturing issues do occur with every product, and it may simply be a case that this rod had excessive coating.

I have used Dewey .22 rods in the past in both my Anschutz and Walther match rifles w/ no issues.

Per your own statement, Dewey recommending the .20 for tight barrels. You made, admittedly, an assumption. Why trash the manufacturer? "False or misleading advertising"....that's quite a statement along with their need to redo manufacturing dimensions.....

Regards,
ken
The manufacturer markets this rod as a 22 caliber rod, and one must assume that it will fit all 22 caliber firearms. What is wrong with that? Yes, I bought it from a 3rd party, but so what? Lots of things are sold that way. I did contact Dewey and they informed me of this situation but made no effort to replace the rod. I'm not trashing Dewey because they make a good quality product, but I feel they need to revise their manufacturing process to reduce the diameter of this a few thousanths so that others don't run into the same situation. This is what's called good customer service, but apparently they don't want to do anything about it.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So the product isn't faulty, but just isn't the correct one for your needs, your issue is with the seller. If they did not advertise the rod correctly, why not ask them to exchange it for the 0.20in size that Dewey recommends.

If Dewey make it clear on their website/sales literature what size each rod is, and what it suits, why should they change their manufacture to suit those who don't think to check?

Last edited by tim slater; 04-24-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:50 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
I had a similar situation in that the rod that I need cannot exceed a diameter of .187 with the bore guide I have .Someone told me to look into Ivy cleaning rods they look very nice .The problem is seems very hard to purchase .I have called them and The voicemail say you need to email them .I have emailed them with no response ,but I'm still intrested in getting one of their cleaning rods.
Are you using a M.Werks bore guide, if so you can order the correct size bushing
Pro-shot is a good alternative rod to the Ivy

Lee
Old 05-22-2019, 01:46 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I wish the biggest problem in my life was just a few hundredth of an inch. Capitalism is failing before our eyes.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 AM
USMCDOC
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWinCO View Post
I wish the biggest problem in my life was just a few hundredth of an inch. Capitalism is failing before our eyes.
that's because of all the morons that don't have a clue.. and the rest of us that are sitting on our butts with our hands under it!
Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have 2 Deweys and dont have trouble getting thru the bore except on the Kimber 82G w/ the ejector blade sticking up. I remove the whole ejector to fix that.

I do have to use small 1" or less patch w/ the 'spear' type jags, the best. Ive tried the next larger and they are TIGHT!!

Nothing wrong w/ my Deweys.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:46 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

It looks like $34.50 for the rod and $3.25 for the adapter.
https://deweyrods.com/product/20-cal...d-rod-42-inch/

I have the older version of this Hoppies rod that is 38" long. My only problem is that it isn't long enough to clean my 52's from the breech without riding up on the stock.
https://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-acce...r-cleaning-rod
Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 PM
John45

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Look at Bore Tech rods. they show the diameters fro 20, 22 rimfire and 223 centerfire for their rods. After talking to them I went with the 22 rimfire and it works perfectly in my Shilen ratchet barrel. However, the jags I was using would not fit in the bore with a patch. Even a very thin one. They had me measure the diameter of my jag and they milled two of their jags down a bit and it worked perfectly also. And there was no extra charge for the extra milling. Great folks to work with. They are a bit expensive but worth every penny for the life you get with a rod.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:23 PM
COBrien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've run a PatchWorm exclusively in all my rifles (and handguns...) for 6-7 years now. Can't say I've seen any issues as a result -- it's weed-eater string with a small plastic collar on it.