CZ 17 Hornet Varmint: Gunsmith says to support barrel for accuracy - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Jgrizz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Also what B23 is saying. Factory ammo isn’t always the best. Some guns shoot it better than others. And different lots of ammo will also shoot differently. I still think that gun should shoot better than that right out of the box.

If you have taken the gun apart or done anything to it, I would make sure everything is reassembled back to factory specs,
Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbased View Post
What say you? I thought sporter barrels often merit such support, but not varmint barrels. Although CZ 527 varmint barrels are not real heavy…
A quality, correctly and concentrically fitted barrel should not need the dampening effect of a pressure pad. That said some rifles whose groups are best described as “patterns” rather than groups will do better when dampened. I agree that sounds like a harmonic issue, the source of which might be the bedding of the receiver (allowing movement), the quality of the barrel’s steel, the bore’s path, or a combination of these and perhaps more factors.
Before I spent much on “fixing” anything I’d vet every component/factor:
scope/mounts, bore cleanliness/coppering condition, receiver bedding/screw torque, ammo quality (handloads), bag/rest set up, and (no offense) your technique on the bench.
None of the above cost much. Once they’ve been eliminated as possible source of your inaccuracy then it’s much more palatable to accept permanent changes to your rifle. If it were me and some pressure supplied by a few layers of business cards (near the tip of the fore end) doesn’t help, I would be much more inclined to look at a major change, ie...sell, trade, or rebarrel.

Good luck.

Last edited by cowboy4; 05-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I had my CZ 527 in .17 Hornet out at the range yesterday. I had replied above saying that my first groups were horrible, and they were. But it turned out, in my case, to be a scope/ring problem. I swapped the scope and yesterday did this with Hornady 20 grain factory ammo at 100 yards:

The barrel is free floated to the action on this rifle. My "bad" groups were like the ones you reported. The above target doesn't "prove" anything with respect to your rifle, of course. But I was glad that I took another look at the scope issue before sending it back to CZ.

BTW: I think your rifle might be outside CZ's own accuracy standard. I had a .222 like that that had some gaps in the chamber metal and was shooting at over 2 inches at 100. I sent it back to CZ-USA and they replaced it with a rifle that can actually do well. Have you called them yet?

By "torque test" above I meant the action screws. You can go up in 5 inch/lb increments and see what the effect is on your groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM
carbonbased
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I think the gunsmith is on to something, maybe it’s a crutch, heck I don’t know. The bottom two groups are warm-ups, and the top one my friend was trying. I don’t like the idea of he pad, but…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED2F340D-3DCD-4F8A-9D33-26ABC4FE1A13_1556722125484.jpg (276.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:21 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Better! That three shot group labeled "Mike" is how I wish I shot all day long.

You know, my first centerfire rifle was a CZ 527 in .223 and it didn't start coming into its own until I had a certain number of rounds down the barrel. With a round count around a thousand now, the barrel looks like it was lapped.

[Lifting a glass of imaginary beverage] . . . here's to many more small groups.