The Oxpho Blue experience - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:47 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The Oxpho Blue experience

No, it's not a new super cool avant garde musical group . . . . .

just my attempt to refresh the blue on my Walther Sportmodell Meisterbuechse.

As received, it was pretty sad looking. The wood looked fine (for an 80+ year old rifle), but the metal had lost most of its finish and at some some point long ago, some buuba had applied what looked like black paint that was about 30% present.

I haven't messed with any cold blue products in a long time for anything other than minor touch ups. I figured this rifle would be a good use of some Oxpho blue that I've had around for way too long.
I didn't really want to go down to the bare metal and get into polishing, etc., but that's essentially what I ended up doing, mostly because once I got started, I got carried away.

I was afraid I'd end up with a blotchy mess, but after all was said and done (3-4? applications worth), it turned out better than expected. I'm letting it "cure" for a day or two before applying any protective layer.
What say the experts - paste wax or something like RIG?

The light today is lousy for pictures and the "before" pictures from the seller are terrible, but eventually, I'll post some pre- and post-Oxpho snapshots.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It would be paste wax for me. I use it on all my guns whatever their age. I've never reblued a complete gun with Oxpho but have used it for a long time for touch up and new parts and always had good luck and always used paste wax as a protectant.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
It would be paste wax for me. I use it on all my guns whatever their age. I've never reblued a complete gun with Oxpho but have used it for a long time for touch up and new parts and always had good luck and always used paste wax as a protectant.
Good to know, and that's the way I was leaning on this.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 01:27 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I rehabbed a Glenfield 100G with Oxpho Creme Blue and some elbow grease, here is a representative before and after pic:
Before:

After:

I protect the metal of my guns with Renaissance Wax. Johnson's Floor wax is good too but harder to break once hazed over. I usually go with two coats.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Nice.

Here's how mine turned out. Not perfect by a long shot, but I'm happy. Before (top 2)and after (last 2).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181214153117-9243.jpg (146.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20181214153113-9185.jpg (103.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (374.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.jpg (375.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks good!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That looks great. Nice job.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:53 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice job. I was leary of cold blues from results I got a very long time ago... but I picked up a 69A for a very good price with some rust on the barrel and action, so took the blue off with Birchwood Casey blue remover, cleaned up the rust with a Big 45 pad the best I could, and sanded where necessary with some 400 then 800 Wet/dry paper.
Followed directions exactly and put on about 3 coats and it looks almost as good as yours. After all the application, I like to put oil on the blued parts for a few days, then wipe it off and put on whatever suits your fancy. Rennaissance wax would be hard to argue with, but may look crazed a bit or blotchy once you start firing the rifle and the barrel gets warm... I would think just a thin coat of oil would be sufficient to keep it looking good and keep rust from attacking the metal.

Bob
Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks very good.

I don't know about Renniassance Wax as I've never used it. Johnson's has worked so well I've never felt a need to change. If it's not broken and all that. Like I stated I've used it all my guns for a long time and have gotten some of them pretty warm but I have never had it craze or look blotchy.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Ox pho Blue is really a remarkable product. The best protectant on top of any finish is Rennaisance wax.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job!

Very nice job on the cleanup and re-blue gewehrfreund. Sweet looking rifle!

Just curious. Who is the maker of that rifle if I may ask? It looks similar to a Walther military single shot training rifle that I once rebuilt for a customer years ago.

I like the Oxpho Blue cream, and Birchwood Super Blue. I use a small piece of very fine white Scotchbrite pad to apply it. The Scotchbrite (aka "Crotchbite") blends in all the streaky spots much better than steel wool in my experience.

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmither View Post
Very nice job on the cleanup and re-blue gewehrfreund. Sweet looking rifle!

Just curious. Who is the maker of that rifle if I may ask? It looks similar to a Walther military single shot training rifle that I once rebuilt for a customer years ago.

I like the Oxpho Blue cream, and Birchwood Super Blue. I use a small piece of very fine white Scotchbrite pad to apply it. The Scotchbrite (aka "Crotchbite") blends in all the streaky spots much better than steel wool in my experience.
Thanks. It's a Walther pre-war Sportmodell Meisterbüchse. Similr to the Sportmodell V. They did produce some Deutsche Sportmodell (DSM34) on this action, so that's probably what you worked on.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:27 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I got the liquid and wish I had bought the cream instead. The liquid has been so-so at best. I had to use SO many coats of it to get the desired color. It just would not blend well and half the time the bluing didn't set in at all no matter how I tried. Yes, I followed the directions.

The Birchwood Casey paste has given me much better results, though I am positive the Oxpho Blue cream would be awesome and probably a improvement on the BC product.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been using the 44-40 on mine and had great luck. I actually tried the 44-40 because of the inconsistent reviews I keep hearing about the Oxpho Blue on different sites.

Bob
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been using the 44-40 on mine and had great luck. I actually tried the 44-40 because of the inconsistent reviews I keep hearing about the Oxpho Blue on different sites.

Bob