10/22 Custom Shop Competition tear down, review, range report - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:28 AM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I'm range ready. Amazingly, the weather prediction has remained unchanged again and we are still expecting winds up to 15 mph so I'm going to relax and plink. I dismounted the scope and moved it back one position when I remounted it so it will be an opportunity to re-zero in its new position.

I disassembled the gun for a post out-of-box shoot inspection, clean and lube. The barrel was clean after the 120 - 130 rounds from the first shoot. I pulled a patch with solvent, nothing. I pulled a dry patch, perfectly clean.

I was measuring up a storm and found some puzzling things but nothing shocking. IMO, the bolt pinning was monkey see, monkey do; it doesn't effectively capture the firing pin as I showed earlier in this post. I have to wonder if they understand what the purpose is other than my personal theory, it is demand driven. Anybody else see anything different?

I disassembled the bolt, no surprises other than the already reported standard OEM firing pin. I had a new in package firing pin in my parts bin so I called Ruger and cancelled the Cust. Serv. delivery. I noticed a .002 difference but attributed that to manufacturing tolerances and not a shortening due to tighter headspace. If anybody sees anything different chime in. Lubed with proper buzzard sheet and reassembled. That uncaptured charging handle assembly was a bit of a challenge; launched it across the room once.

The inside of my receiver was clean and although I didn't study it, nothing caught my attention. I didn't dismount the barrel and fool with the chamber this go-around else I doubt I would have had it ready. The measuring I was doing took quite a bit of time.

I polished the sear on the included BX and re-lubed but it didn't change the pull weight, 2lb.4oz, so I went with a different BX group I had just polished and lubed that is pulling at 1lb12oz according to the Wheeler.

Topped it off with my new thread protector, removing the muzzle break just to get a different look for a little while. Looks like a compact brick dunny ready for some serious shootin'. I'm real happy with this item, the knurling is very soft:

Drop of FP10 here and there and back together it went. I was checking out the feel of the receiver to stock fit as I reassembled, I'll probably visit that at a later date.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-14-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new bolt should be here Saturday so then I can see if that fixes it. Hope you have/had a good range trip.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
My new bolt should be here Saturday so then I can see if that fixes it. Hope you have/had a good range trip.
Back from the range.

Today was really more of a breakin and plinking session. The wind was pretty stiff and if you timed your shooting you could do OK but I shot as I pleased and didn't record any groups.

I ran into two guys visiting from Taiwan who had the courage to venture halfway out into the Everglades to this range to shoot. They only rent shotguns at the range so I offered to let them shoot with me and we spent 3-4 hours putting the CSC through the paces.

They were brand new shooters so there was a LOT of instruction but we ended up putting about 200 rounds through the CSC. I had only two fail to fire out of all cartridges shot. The two FTF also failed to eject when I cycled the bolt so I cleared by firing. I am developing a theory that the bolt is not closing completely when this occurs so you get a light strike and the extractor is not grasping the case rim.

These were the only two incidents for this session so I don't consider this abnormal. All of my 10/22's have a feed, or ejection issue once in a while and this rifle's is not excessive. Since the chamber is tighter, it is probably to be considered very reliable at this rate. I'll take a look at the chamber eventually but I don't consider it urgent and will probably just clean and shoot for a while.

I saved a half dozen strikes and they're not the best of my 10/22s--I would prefer they extended further in from the rim's edge-- but I'm not having any issues. I consider the lower right strike ideal.

Round count is ~350. More next week?

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-15-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bigbore I'm glad to hear it is going well for you. I believe your reason for this problem might be accurate and would explain why cleaning the rifle eliminates it for the first 100 rounds or so. I won't clean my chamber when I put the new bolt in and that should help narrow it down. The new bolt is out for delivery today.

Now for more ground breaking news regarding the CSC. I wish this version had been released first as I like it better.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Bigbore I'm glad to hear it is going well for you. I believe your reason for this problem might be accurate and would explain why cleaning the rifle eliminates it for the first 100 rounds or so. I won't clean my chamber when I put the new bolt in and that should help narrow it down. The new bolt is out for delivery today.

Now for more ground breaking news regarding the CSC. I wish this version had been released first as I like it better.

Checking bank account now!

Wow! Looks like they may go for more than 1500 units.

I'm getting ready to contact Ruger customer service and report a few items. Any developments on having yours measured? I'm finished measuring to the point of having the photos edited with cool little arrows and circles but would like to see more data. Either way I'll post it soon, it may depend on your progress.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-15-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not had time like I thought I would to measure anything. Let us know what Ruger say.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I got all excited to put my bolt in when I got home only to find Ruger sent me a bolt for a standard 10/22
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 PM
rodent shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Talking What?? Another Ruger Custom?

Quote:

Wow, I just didn't think Ruger would be coming out with more versions this soon. They must be working through the weekends to crank these out. That's one beautiful rifle there.

This won't be good for those of us who are on the 10-22 ten step program. Wait, are we supposed to have 10 or 22 of them not counting unbuilt receivers?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Hacker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Well I got all excited to put my bolt in when I got home only to find Ruger sent me a bolt for a standard 10/22
Send that standard bolt to CPC and your issues will go away.

Bought my wife a carbine a couple years ago. Was a total jammomatic, stove piping, lite striking POS. It was truly a lemon rifle straight outta the box. I didn't bother with Ruger CS and shipped it to CPC for a full tuneup.

All its issues went away. With the exception of a barrel replacement and new stock it's the same rifle she's been using in KPR for a couple years.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If you are in the mood for fussing, take Rodent Shooter's suggestion, clean the chamber and fit some cartridges into it to see if they stick or bite into the rifling. Check how smoothly they feed and extract by hand without the bolt installed. Do you have an aftermarket extractor to try?

Edit1:55 EDT - Actually, depending on what Ruger says about the bolt, it may be an interesting function test to try a standard OEM bolt. Since, IMO, the pinning was done poorly, the only difference from a functional standpoint will be headspace and slightly looser tolerances. It would be amusing if it ran great.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-16-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:46 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

Wow, did not know they were coming out with a different model. I definitely like that a LOT better than the other one.
This one is really nice looking! Way better than the painted stock.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Tn-maddog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up my Competition model at the FFL on Friday.

Looks and feels great. Not heavy at all and feels well balanced to me. The barrel looks to be perfectly centered in the stock.

Now for the bad.

I wanted to take the stock off the inspect everything and clean and lube it properly and couldn't get the stock off and can't figure out why.

I removed the rear action screw and completely loosened the front screw.

The barreled action will pivot till the barrel has moved about an inch from the front of the stock but the rear of the action will not budge at all.

It is pivoting near the rear of the receiver and at first I thought a trigger pin or bolt stop pin had worked out and was hung but I slid a feeler gauge along each side and they are all good.

I even worked a narrow piece of paper around the rear bedding block.

I have looked at all the diagrams and just can't figure out what it is catching on.

Any ideas? I will call Ruger tomorrow but if I am missing something obvious I would like to know before I call them.

I did take it to the range and put about 30 rounds through it.

The first ammo I tried was CCI SV and it would not function with that ammo. Catching and shaving the lead just like the photos in Luvthemtorts post. Also some failures to eject. Just really disappointing especially since I just bought 2500 rounds of that ammo.

The only other ammo I took was some SK Standard Plus that functioned perfectly and grouped great.

So in the end I really like the rifle and it shot great but for me to happy I am going to have to be able to get the stock off and it needs to function with CCI SV ammo.

Edited to add: I did have the safety button centered.

Second edit to add some photos.

First five rounds of SK Standard Plus at 25 yards

Fifteen rounds of SK SP

About 8 rounds of CCI SV

Failure to feed photos, CCI SV

Last edited by Tn-maddog; 03-17-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 03-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn-maddog View Post
I picked up my Competition model at the FFL on Friday.

I wanted to take the stock off the inspect everything and clean and lube it properly and couldn't get the stock off and can't figure out why.

I removed the rear action screw and completely loosened the front screw.

The barreled action will pivot till the barrel has moved about an inch from the front of the stock but the rear of the action will not budge at all.
Congratulations on getting your RCSC.

I didn't have a problem getting mine out of the stock but they might be cutting the receiver pocket real tight cuz they feel they have to for the price they charge.

I would try holding it upside down on a bed and grabbing the stock by the wrist while pushing straight down on the trigger guard with your thumb. We all know about the safety so I won't mention it even though I just did.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Tn-maddog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
Congratulations on getting your RCSC.

I didn't have a problem getting mine out of the stock but they might be cutting the receiver pocket real tight cuz they feel they have to for the price they charge.

I would try holding it upside down on a bed and grabbing the stock by the wrist while pushing straight down on the trigger guard with your thumb. We all know about the safety so I won't mention it even though I just did.
Thanks for the reply.

I have pushed, wiggled, jiggled and even lightly tapped with a rubber mallet.

I just will not budge even a little bit. It seems to me that it has to be hung on something, I just can't figure out what. I'm hesitant to put any more pressure on it for fear of damaging something.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn-maddog View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have pushed, wiggled, jiggled and even lightly tapped with a rubber mallet.

I just will not budge even a little bit. It seems to me that it has to be hung on something, I just can't figure out what. I'm hesitant to put any more pressure on it for fear of damaging something.
I'll post a picture of mine out of the stock around 10PM, I need to clean it anyway. I'll show the bottom of the receiver and stock inletting. Look on page one, Tac Gunner shows the stock inletting IIRC, it might give you some guidance on how much wiggling it can take.