10/22 Custom Shop Competition tear down, review, range report - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 AM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent shooter View Post
I have noticed that the blow comp on my Ruger CC loosens up after around 100 rounds fired.

My chamber also was shaving lead at first on a rare occasion. I remedied that by a few light passes with a chamber iron and then polished inside with a mop soaked with Flitz. No more shaving lead. The only ammo that doesn't come out by gravity when chambered on the disassembled is the Winchester 555 bulk which I measured at .224 in. at the bullet crimp. All other ammo I measured miked at .223 to .2235 in. and dropped free when the barrel is inverted. Try the ammo you are having trouble with by chambering it and then pouring it out. The case should only swell a little after firing.

My friend also has a Ruger CC and his comp. loosened up on the first firing session and was rarely ( like 3 times in 100 rounds) shaving lead. So far there has only been minor issues and they seem to go away as it gets more rounds through it.
Does anyone know if the production of this model is still ceasing after 1500 units?
If you don't get one soon , Mr. T would say "pity the fool"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
Bigbore the TL thread protector works just fine.

TG, thanks. Ruger wants $20 and they can be found on Ebay for $8-12. Ruger's thread protector is .4 and all others I looked at are .6+ in length. Hmmm. So far Ruger's is the cleanest fit barring firing up the lathe.

RS, great information. I read all the time those real expensive rifles are supposed to be shot 500 times before you can file an official complaint, no?

I think the light strike issue may resolve itself because it is a BX TG with a known history. I am going to take a look at the bolt channel and firing pin to see how it compares to the original OEM and a popular after market version that I own. Perhaps the pin channel is a little narrow and is binding? I would encourage people to document Fail to Fire cartridge strikes to see if there is a pattern.

My compensator hasn't come loose but I haven't shot the rifle much. I will admit I don't trust it to stay tight as delivered, as was eluded to.

P.S. My serial # is 1499.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-08-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TL thread protector is a clean fit and looks good. I just wish is was like the one that comes on the Americans that have flat spots to put a wrench on.

I emailed Ruger to confirm whether these are a limited run. I too will check my firing pin the next time I strip the rifle.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I knew it, poor execution! I didn't need to see the firing pin, it was obvious from the strikes which is why I posted them. Pay attention!

I ordered a new firing pin from Ruger.

TG, I found a knurled thread protector on Ebay that was .5 for $12 shipped. Not perfect but not too bad. Inbound also.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-08-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
I knew it, poor execution! I didn't need to see the firing pin, it was obvious from the strikes which is why I posted them. Pay attention!

TG, I found a knurled thread protector on Ebay that was .5 for $12 shipped. Not perfect but not too bad. Inbound also.

Glad you found a thread protector you liked.

I am going to inspect my firing pin tonight and see what it looks like. If it isn't perfectly square on the end I will call Ruger Monday and get a new one, no sense paying for one when there is a warranty and Ruger has pretty good customer service.

I did get a response to my inquiry on the production limit regarding the CSC but it wasn't helpful as they told me they did have access to the production schedule. They said to contact my dealer and have him check with his Ruger sales rep.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I am going to inspect my firing pin tonight and see what it looks like. If it isn't perfectly square on the end I will call Ruger Monday and get a new one, no sense paying for one when there is a warranty and Ruger has pretty good customer service.
I just called and cancelled my order. They are sending me a free firing pin.

They started to go down the "send it in road" but I talked them out of it. That is where I suspected it would go and why I ordered online but you encouraged me to "work it". I asked for an OEM, I already have a Custom Shop.

There is a gap on the top too. That it does not fit tight enough negates the whole purpose of pinning, the pin can rise.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-08-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I just called and cancelled my order. They are sending me a free firing pin.

They started to go down the "send it in road" but I talked them out of it. That is where I suspected it would go and why I ordered online but you encouraged me to "work it". I asked for an OEM, I already have a Custom Shop.

There is a gap on the top too. That it does not fit tight enough negates the whole purpose of pinning, the pin can rise.
Sounds good. I agree pinning is pointless if it isn't a tight fit
Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

The firing pin measures OEM original. They seem to be using one right off the line, no modifications for the machined bolt. The pin doesn't capture it well but it should still strike like an unpinned OEM bolt/pin at the very least. The pin slides smoothly in the channel but I have not verified the pin channel dimensions.

Hmmm. Maybe the cartridge is not seating fully in the chamber.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-10-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Duplicate post
Old 03-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never did get mine apart this weekend to check the pin but I did ahoot today and had one failure to fire. When I looked at the rim there was no primer mark. A second attempt set it off and the gun ran fine from then on.

I'm not sure what is going on but you might be onto something with it not seating fully. I will pay attention to that next time it acts up. I am also still having problems with it not extracting an unfired round at times.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Johnthebaptism

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
300 rounds no misfire. My indentation doesnt look as deep as yours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190310_121912_1552274225660.jpg (484.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthebaptism View Post
300 rounds no misfire. My indentation doesnt look as deep as yours
Yours look fine, especially if there are no misfires. Thanks for documenting.

These are strikes from an OEM unmodified Ruger bolt:

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-11-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I never did get mine apart this weekend to check the pin but I did ahoot today and had one failure to fire. When I looked at the rim there was no primer mark. A second attempt set it off and the gun ran fine from then on.

I'm not sure what is going on but you might be onto something with it not seating fully. I will pay attention to that next time it acts up. I am also still having problems with it not extracting an unfired round at times.
I got the idea from rodent shooter. I'm going to check the chamber and may soften the sharp edge at the entrance with some 600 grit wet/dry and then do the Flitz polish like rodent shooter. I'll check it first.

I'm going to try to carve out some time tomorrow to finish measuring the receiver and barrel. I want to measure the pin height on the bolt too, looks roomy. There will be plenty of cleaning and lubing after first fire.

I'm hoping to shoot again on Thursday but it is supposed to be blowing up to 15mph so I won't try to get any serious groups. I'm hoping the group I met two weeks ago shows as well as continuing to break in this rifle without stressing out over anything. I need to tweak the scope eye relief and I'm going to install a BX group that I've polished and is pulling at 2lbs. I'll most likely just shoot CCI SV & Tactical saving the expensive ammo for calmer days.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-11-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I spoke with Ruger this morning and told them I was having light strikes and failures to extract. They wanted it back but after I explained exactly what was happening and asked if I could just send my old bolt back for a new one, they were fine with just sending me a new one. I get to keep the old one so once I have the new one I'll disassemble the old one and see if I find anything wrong with it.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I spoke with Ruger this morning and told them I was having light strikes and failures to extract. They wanted it back but after I explained exactly what was happening and asked if I could just send my old bolt back for a new one, they were fine with just sending me a new one. I get to keep the old one so once I have the new one I'll disassemble the old one and see if I find anything wrong with it.
Wow! I would try the old bolt in the Target lite.

I couldn't shake free from work so my time will be limited this week. Still hoping to get cleanin', greasin' and a Thursday shoot in though.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Wow! I would try the old bolt in the Target lite.

I couldn't shake free from work so my time will be limited this week. Still hoping to get cleanin', greasin' and a Thursday shoot in though.
I pitched that idea to my wife and she told me to leave her rifle alone lol. I'll try it in my old carbine model.