10/22 Custom Shop Competition tear down, review, range report - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Luvthemtorts
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
A minor question. Are the parts that hold on the adjustable cheek piece reversible so a lefty can move them to the other side?
Thank you
Yes it is.
Being left handed I worried about that too, however after shooting I found the lever isn't noticeable at all.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bigbore did you get to check the squarness of the barrel tenon?

Snowwolfe you can swap the hardware side for side but I don't really see a need too. I have handled it both right and left handed and have not found the adjustment hardware to be an issue.

Hacker I am not going to swear the hole isn't square just yet. I'm going to find someone with the proper tooling to be able to check it before I make a decision. I should be at the benchrest match on the 23rd and we can look at it more then.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:06 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
A minor question. Are the parts that hold on the adjustable cheek piece reversible so a lefty can move them to the other side?
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthemtorts View Post
Yes it is.
Being left handed I worried about that too, however after shooting I found the lever isn't noticeable at all.
I'm a lefty and I've switched the cheek rest lever to the other side already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
So it looks like these CSC rifles are plagued with the same issue regular 10/22s have, the barrel tenon hole is cut just a tad off center.

That's really sad considering it has a milled receiver.
Don't be so quick to start an unsubstantiated rumor. I'm not seeing this.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
Bigbore did you get to check the squarness of the barrel tenon?
I played housework hooky today to try and slay a Python. There is a cold snap down here and I was hoping I would see one sunning on the side of my secret swamp spots but it seems they're not so secret anymore and they're limiting access to others. I hopped on one quick project at home when I returned, then logged in to find that the forum had already ascertained that Ruger had drilled the chamber on the wrong end of the barrel so I came up to the metrology station and here is what I found.

I clamped the received down flat on both sides and used a .150 gauge block +.005 shim stock to determine the height off the plate. When laying on the left side the doubled-up .005 = .01 shim stock seem ever so slightly snug but slid under with no problem. The right side was perfect. I'll call it .002 difference(?) over 12" which for these parts is perfect.

As always, my work is gladly open to constructive criticism.

Edit @ 19:05 - Someone should be able to use a caliper to measure from the outside of the barrel to the edge of the receiver where they join to check my work. I'll do it later but I'm going to eat dinner. Long day.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-06-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
I don't want to highjack the thread but your comment piqued my curiosity so I looked through some of your posts, couldn't find what I was looking for.

Help a brother out. Give me one link to a post you've made showing your shootin', gotta know what I'm missing. How do the big dogs run?
I'm not sure what you are getting at and I may be taking this the wrong way what exactly are you saying Who are you calling a big dog cuz now you've sparked my curiosity.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
Who are you calling a big dog cuz now you've sparked my curiosity.
A metaphor for the leader of the pack.

I consider this rifle to be a very good value, you don't seem to agree. I would be curious to see what you consider a good rifle and the results you are getting.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:55 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a fair question .For my money looking at the results from the groups at 50 yd I did not find them to be that good they're not bad. For around the same money I built a rifle with a Kidd single stage trigger and a Feddersen barrel in a Hogue stock that produces better groups. I see that you have this rifle .I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that I just think for that money you could do better if you're willing to put a rifle together. I also understand there's many factors involved when shooting for groups.If you look at my earlier post I have taken many photos of groups .I mainly shoot at 50 yd with similar ammo. I'm not saying my rifle is better or that I am a better marksman .All I was stating is I would have liked to have seen tighter groups especially with the ammo that was used .Look all over this forum and you will see what I mean. Again more importantly I thought it was a very very good review Please don't take it personal that I think you could do better building your own 10/22 for around the same money that's just a way I see it.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersharp View Post
That is a fair question .For my money looking at the results from the groups at 50 yd I did not find them to be that good they're not bad. For around the same money I built a rifle with a Kidd single stage trigger and a Feddersen barrel in a Hogue stock that produces better groups. I see that you have this rifle .I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that I just think for that money you could do better if you're willing to put a rifle together. I also understand there's many factors involved when shooting for groups.If you look at my earlier post I have taken many photos of groups .I mainly shoot at 50 yd with similar ammo. I'm not saying my rifle is better or that I am a better marksman .All I was stating is I would have liked to have seen tighter groups especially with the ammo that was used .Look all over this forum and you will see what I mean. Again more importantly I thought it was a very very good review Please don't take it personal that I think you could do better building your own 10/22 for around the same money that's just a way I see it.
One of the homeruns Ruger hit, IMO, with this rifle is that it has every accessory people chase right in the box. There is no need to add anything except a buffer, which I already have laying in the parts tub.

I bought this rifle after contemplating a build. After I priced the parts and thought about the potential headaches, this made sense. I have after market barrels and as I stated in my review thread on the main forum, I've shot many other people's builds over the years, these seem to perform as well as all but the very top tier.

I'm not worried about being offended as long as everybody is honest and respectful.

Got a link to some targets you posted with your rifle?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bigbore thank you for checking that. I would say based on that it safe to say the hole is square and it is the stock inlet causing it to favor the left side. I have been talking to a machinist friend today and at some point we are going to check mine to see what it is like. I will post my findings in this thread. Also, I saw you mentioned you have a review up, where can I find that?

Supersharp I agree with what you are saying. I had priced a build and weighed my options before buying this CSC and decided to take a risk and see what Ruger had done. It is a big improvement over the Ruger American target I had previously and if I end up wanting better accuracy I have a solid platform to have a Shilen blank fitted to.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Bigbore thank you for checking that. I would say based on that it safe to say the hole is square and it is the stock inlet causing it to favor the left side. I have been talking to a machinist friend today and at some point we are going to check mine to see what it is like. I will post my findings in this thread. Also, I saw you mentioned you have a review up, where can I find that?
Have you checked the stock channel to see if the left side wall is thinner? I suspect the table that cuts the stock blanks has .01 of play which adds .01 to one side and takes away .01 on the other. If yours has the same dimensions I'll call Ruger.

I'm going to double check all the plate work and take a few other measurements but what I've done so far should rule out gross machine work. The pictures I posted when I unboxed the rifle had an angle that showed the barrel exiting the stock from underneath. As usual I didn't say a word and nobody mentioned anything but if you were to go back and look you'ld probably see the flaw.

The review is on the main forum, it is the thread you were on.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-06-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will try to get some measurements on my stock tomorrow. Not sure when I'll get the measurements on the hole.

I'll hop back over to that thread and see what is going on.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:13 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I will try to get some measurements on my stock tomorrow. Not sure when I'll get the measurements on the hole.

I'll hop back over to that thread and see what is going on.
I think this should be the repository for all RCSC data. Your review is "sticky" quality.

I'm starting to wonder if the stock is pushing on the action. It may explain why it likes 35 in/lbs of torque. If it is a problem area there may be gains to be made with correct fitting.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:33 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for that, not sure how a thread gets "stickied" though.

I know the area aroud my rear tang is very tight and shows wear marks on the receiver and tang from removing and installing the stock. The front of the stock is not like that and the receiver slides in very nicely.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Johnthebaptism

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
One thing that should probably get another mention is the 30 MOA rail. Make sure if you are considering this rifle that your scope adjustment will cover it, it is a lot. I was sweating bullets until I got it on and dialed in. I ran the numbers and it was close on paper, in practice it wasn't as severe. I went with a 50 yard zero.

I find it curious that they chose 30 MOA, 20 would have been plenty.
I zeroed my rifle at 50 and my scope's adjustments are pretty much in the middle. I was expecting to have to compensate for the 30 moa rail.

If you guys looks at your screw on top of the barrel under the rail that is supposed to reduce barrel droop, can you guys see the thread remaining on the screw? My screw is still showing some thread and it looks like I can turn it in some more but its already really tight. Let me know your thoughts.

My barrel also lean slightly to the left but only after I tighten the receiver to the stock. If I just rest the barrel and receiver in the stock without tightening it, it lays perfectly in the middle. This left leaning is only noticable if you are really OCD, it is less than 2mm at the very end of stock on the barrel end.

I was able to get a little less than 1 inch at 50 yards with cci mini mags and it is my 2nd time shooting any rifle ever. I shot 200 rounds and had zero feeding/extracting issue. You will have to strip and clean or else you will have reliability issues since all the tolerances are so tight, I would expect this of all "competition or match grade" rifle. I think for $650, it is the best semi 22lr you can get with a full factory warranty on all the parts.

Last edited by Johnthebaptism; 03-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.